Grand Prix: The Killer Years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it's the one I think it is, it makes for pretty grim viewing. I remember watching a documentary on the subject where one of of the incidents shown had the charred remains of a driver (who's name escapes me at the moment) plainly visible in the wreckage after the conflagration had finally been extinguished. :(

I recordered this and watched it last night. Fascinating program, really interesting and brutal at times. I've been an F1 fan for many years but I never realised how dangerous it was during the 60's and 70's.

Looking at the performance of the cars, they were doing 200mph back in the sixties, and this was with spectators on track leaping out of the way and much more.

I thought the most telling point was the last comment/screen title, 1976 was the first year that F1 didn't have any fatalities.

Well worth watching if you haven't seen it yet.

Thanks, will try and see it on iPlayer.

Yes, It's an excellent programme. I had forgotten just how many household names had died.

Also good to see Jim Clark driving. He had a style which I have only ever seen matched by Senna or Hailwood (perhaps Fangio and Saarinen). - where everything seemed so perfect and easy.

Edit: How could I forget Stirling Moss.

Last edited:
In Oz they've been showing all the greats. One hour shows each week on all the greats.
Great shows got to see the best drivers that I'm to young to have fully enjoyed. Just watch a wonderful one on Sir Jack Brabham. Can you believe that most ozzies don't know about this legend? Shame on them.

I watched it on its first airing and enjoyed seeing the old cars being driven, particularly the way they squirmed around but didn't watch the repeat showing. The reason being I found it just too macabre. I've followed F1 since the early 70s as a kid so its not as though I was unaware of the fatalities and dangers, but just too macabre to watch a second time. Essential viewing for those unaware of the sport's origins though.

Is this the documentary where they feature that race where the car breaks up and gets flung into the crowd causing all sorts of dreadful fatalities?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom