Gravel Drives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alzieboy

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E350CDI Coupe
Why do some people who have gravel drives never once in a while sweep up all the stones that get spewed out onto the road , nice stone chips waiting to happen :( . I have a neighbour who owns a brand new Audi A7 and stones from his drive are all across the road !! , owning a car like that you would of thought he would of wised up :rolleyes:

Why do some people who have gravel drives never once in a while sweep up all the stones that get spewed out onto the road , nice stone chips waiting to happen :( . I have a neighbour who owns a brand new Audi A7 and stones from his drive are all across the road !! , owning a car like that you would of thought he would of wised up :rolleyes:

Hell no, that's the Council's job. :dk:

Gravel drives are a great security deterrent……….not much moves on them that can't be heard. But need the owner to get the brush out each weekend to re-stock the drive, as it were.

I left a gravel drive at the last development we did. On every occasion I've been round to visit, the gravel is all over the pavement.

The gravel was contained on all sides, but their two cars drag it out.

10 mins a week would sort it, but they don't bother.

A lot will depend on the mesh size of the gravel. Ours tends to stay put, unless I accidentally blip the throttle ....

If access to the drive is over a footpath or via a public road then the normal (planning) requirement is for the drive to made made with `a non-migratory material`....

We have gravel "run ins" off tarmac road on caravan park, and usually set thefirst couple of feet of gravel in wet cement. That aeems to solve the problem ofmigrating gravel.

We have a gravel drive, as do some of our neighbours. The were put down by the builders when the houses were built in the '80s.

We get a bit of "migration" of the gravel onto the road, but 5 minutes with the broom is enough to clear it up.

Can't imagine why people wouldn't clear up their mess.

We have a gravel drive, fronting onto a private road (the bit infront of our house owned by us). I'm out with a broom every few weeks sweeping the gravel off the tarmac.

Funny story from when it was laid.........
The area is sufficient to park 5 cars easily, maintaining turning areas, probably if we needed to pack the cars in we could park 8 to 10 cars.
While we were working on the house the drive area was prepared with brick rubble from the alterations. Many times forgetful father-in-law asked what we would surface the drive with. I said gravel and each time he said "you don't want that pea gravel it picks up on tyres & shoes and spreads everywhere" Each time I said no, we are having 20mm stone. This question & answer was probably repeated 4 or 5 times over a 9 month period.
Just before we moved in I decided to finish the drive. Set up some timber edgings, graded the brick rubble as necessary and blinded the brick rubble with fine granite "scalpings". Forgetful father-in-law asked to help. So I said he could fetch & carry from the local quarries using my truck & trailer.
On the day in question I took him to the first quarry for the first load of "scalpings". On the way there he again asked what we were finishing the drive with and again launched into his "you don't want pea gravel because............." Again he was reminded that we wanted 20mm stone.
Back with the first load of "scalpings", tipped on the drive, spread & leveled by me & number 1 son whilst father-in-law went to collect the next load.
A few loads later we had enough "scalpings" but had not finished levelling & compacting. Father-in-law volunteers to fetch the first load of gravel. Explained to him that is was to be collected from a different quarry and what the weighbridge proceedure was.
He arrived back before we had completed the compacting of the sub-base so he parked up 50 yds away & went for his lunch.
While he was away we finished compacting & I went to my truck to reverse it in and tip the first load.
What was in the trailer.........1.75 tonnes of bloody pea gravel:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:
After he returned from his lunch to collect subsequent loads I had to diplomatically tell him he was right and pea gravel wouldn't be suitable. We would rake out the pea gravel over a large area and cover it with 20mm stone! Could he ask for 20mm stone on his next visit to the quarry:rolleyes:

Peter T said:
Can't imagine why people wouldn't clear up their mess.
That's because a substantial proportion of the populace are self-centred a-holes, and you're not.

Gravel drives are a great security deterrent……….not much moves on them that can't be heard.

And I always thought they were especially useful on small drives pre-power steering cars!

They're perfect if your internal workings aren't quite as oil-tight as they used to be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom