Grinding sound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Michaels

Car
2008 C-Class 180 SE Kompressor 1.8 Saloon
Hello. When the car is stationary with the engine running.

The gear is set to drive and i just play slightly with releasing the brake pedal very slowly, a medium loud grinding sound comes up which lasts until the brake is fully released and the car starts rolling.

If i release the brake quickly the sound is only a little.

Then when i brake normally, it does it only at the last moment before the car stops and then again when i release the brakes as described above.

The mechanic had a look at all the brakes and is certain that they are okay and found no fault.

But is there? Is this grinding sound which sounds like a release sound normal?

Many thanks

2002 C Class Avantgarde diesel T-wagon diesel

My first guess would be a faulty handbrake mechanism- like a broken return spring/shoe in the small drum brakes at the rear hubs or the cable mechanism not releasing fully.

My first guess would be a faulty handbrake mechanism- like a broken return spring/shoe in the small drum brakes at the rear hubs or the cable mechanism not releasing fully.
Thank you Graeme It's not when I use the hand brake, its when I not fully release the footbrake and during starting and stopping. Just before fully releasing the footbrake when starting to drive, and just before coming to a standstill when parking or stopping at traffic lights. It's a little less and sometimes no grinding noise when I release the footbrake by simply taking my foot off the brake rather then holding it. But you can't do that all the time.
Peter

Last edited:
id say its the discs juddering on the pads , engine revs making it creep , has it been remapped or have a tuning box fitted ?? does it do it when the engines hot or just on initial start up ? does the car creep much on its own in drive with no foot brake , if it does use c instead of s on the gear selector.

Last edited:
It's just the pads on the discs...nothing else.

id say its the discs juddering on the pads , engine revs making it creep , has it been remapped or have a tuning box fitted ?? does it do it when the engines hot or just on initial start up ? does the car creep much on its own in drive with no foot brake , if it does use c instead of s on the gear selector.

It's only as I described, at start-up and just b4 it comes to a stop at the very end. But unever during driving. I don't know about being remapped or tuning box. Thanks.

I also noticed a small 1/4 inch thick black rubber pipe maybe be 5-6 inch long visible, hanging down at the right rear side. A little to the left of the right wheel. Never seen that before?

I also noticed a small 1/4 inch thick black rubber pipe maybe be 5-6 inch long visible, hanging down at the right rear side. A little to the left of the right wheel. Never seen that before?

Fuel filler overflow.

Thank you, should it hang down like that or should it be fixed up somewhere ? Thanks

With disc brakes the pads are always in light contact with the discs. The sounds you hear could be down to many things- the friction material of the pads- any grooves worn on the disc the calipers sticking on slightly- if they are the sliding type the pins may need lubricating etc etc.

Its transmission creep.

No . the cars trying to push and hes trying to stop it ever so slightly making the discs shudder in the calipers. The Mrs slk did it but only ever on tick over when cold .when revs were higher.

OneForThe Road
That makes sense, that is how it exactly feels.
So now i release the brake pedal by just taking my foot of and there is very little grinding sound, more like a tiny burb. The car simply starts slowly rolling forward without using the gas pedal. It is true that car is trying to push forward moderately and when i try to hold it, it grinds.

I dont know if simply taking the foot of the brake is harm full in any way?

Now the sound happens at the end of any breaking process, 5 seconds before stopping, its loud and grinding until it stops. Again this must be because the car is still pushing forward, not heavily, just enough. Most of the time when stopping its not entirely smooth.

When the car is in drive mode, should it push slightly forward as it does, or should it not and wait till i use the gas pedal to move forward?
It feels as that is normal, but its my first Mercedes and first automatic.

If it is, then is there something i can do to stop the grinding? The mechanic looked at the brakes eg and said all looks okay.

Any suggestion about the whole thing is greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Peter

Last edited:
All automatics will want to go forward when in gear, throttle or no throttle, whether in comfort or standard mode.

Why would taking your foot off the brakes be a problem?

There is a little overthinking going on here.

All automatics will want to go forward when in gear, throttle or no throttle, whether in comfort or standard mode.

Why would taking your foot off the brakes be a problem?

There is a little overthinking going on here.

probably yes, but its best to know for sure if taking the foot of very quickly to avoid the grinding noise, wont damage anything else. Still getting used to driving an automatic. With a manual you release the clutch and can just drive of very slowly but with an automatic, its already in drive and you use the brake and let go of the brake.

Anyway still dont know what causes the grinding noise. My mechanic says he cant find a problem and its nothing to worry about, and a friend who used to drive an older Merc, said he had the same problem for a long time and he just got used to it.

But i want it solved

you will always get some noise when braking as its frictional and rotational , more of a rubbing noise than a grinding , have you got any circular lines forming around the disc lining ??

using c mode on start up should reduce creep as its in 2nd gear in s mode its in 1st and will try to pull more this will reduce as the engine warms and revs dies down .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom