Gritters Out and About

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Get a grip...

The grit doesn’t take immediate effect. It’s not physically improving traction like a mountaineer wearing spiked boots, it’s chemically lowering the melting point below that of the ambient temperature. It’s a prevention and not a cure.

It will melt ice, but that process is drawn out. Basically a grain of salt lands, and with it being warmer than the ice it lands on, it melts the ice that’s immediately contacting the grain. That water then starts dissolving the salt, and so on, but it’s very localised. You’d have thousands of little holes in a sheet of ice. You grit before the ice forms so that the water melts the ice and becomes slightly salty, enough so that it never freezes at all.

Being behind a gritter isn’t going to give you better traction unless you were many miles behind it and didn’t get there for a few hours.

Queue sarcastic remark asking an pointless almost rhetorical question.

What is quite amazing is that he didn’t spot the opportunity to tell you that it’s ‘cue’ not queue. Something’s gone wrong with the NI spellchecker. And no...I’m not IOWEddie in disguise. ;)

What is quite amazing is that he didn’t spot the opportunity to tell you that it’s ‘cue’ not queue. Something’s gone wrong with the NI spellchecker. And no...I’m not IOWEddie in disguise. ;)

Oh trust me I noticed! I was past the silly 30 minute edit rule though, so couldn’t fix it. :oops:

See you at The Lantern Pike, Chapple on Sunday @ 2pm. Bring ya Christmas jumper. :)

Oooh the reputedly haunted Lantern Pike in at Little Hayfield ?
I stayed there once when I was house hunting in the area. The only drama was me banging my head on the low beams in the night lol.

IMG_0693.JPG

That pic brings back some great memories Brian. Mrs Ant & I always stopped there en-route to Buxton's Palace hotel from Denton. The food was fab and a roaring log fire in the winter made it a lovely place to be.

This was around 14 years ago. Hope it's still there and doing well.

Ant.

That pic brings back some great memories Brian. Mrs Ant & I always stopped there en-route to Buxton's Palace hotel from Denton. The food was fab and a roaring log fire in the winter made it a lovely place to be.

This was around 14 years ago. Hope it's still there and doing well.

Ant.

Yep, it's still there Ant. I passed it today on the way to the Rambler at Edale for lunch. The food is still great and the ale isn't bad when I'm not driving. Still a bit of snow about so the open fire is wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom