Guess what TopGear's up to

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrjones

Car
1996 C280 Auto Elegance
Thanks to a friend of mine who had a little GTG with some of his Opel (Vauxhall) friends at a filling station next to the N2 highway, I got to take the following pics...

DSCN9707.jpg

DSCN9709.jpg

DSCN9710.jpg

DSCN9711.jpg

DSCN9716.jpg

DSCN9723.jpg

DSCN9726.jpg

DSCN9730.jpg

I chatted a bit with Richard, mostly about how/where/when we actually get TopGear via satellite. We asked him who the Stig was, but he just laughed.
As is evident from the pics, there were tons of people around and they all fired questions at him. He said the expected... that the SLR's a beast, and awesome to drive. He mentioned that the program should air in about 5 weeks or so.
Mercedes U.K. also had a representative there, and he chatted with me for a while as well. Very friendly guy... he knew the SLR inside out, and answered any question in the greatest detail. According to him, 0-62mph takes 3,8 seconds and the top whack lies somewhere around 210mph.

I waited another half an hour for them to rig the cameras and sound, just so that I could HEAR it fire up. I can't describe it. Like the Merc rep said, it makes an SL55 "sound like a Metro".
There was very audible whine as they punched the throttle a few times. On idle, you can barely hear it. A passing Opel (from my friend's convoy) was actually louder on idling by. As I followed them onto the highway, the SLR sounded like a Mustang/Cobra for a moment, but just meaner.
They stuck to the speed limit and the camera Chrysler, and only did a fly-by once... at which point I had to turn off to go home.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics. I need to brush my teeth now, completely forgot about that as I raced off to snap the pics.

top post, top write up.... nice one!

dream on hey :)

Fantastic pictures, well done, great post! :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Awesome pictures! :bannana:

swl

You just ruined my Sunday....
I'll never see one of those, never mind be able to afford one.
Awesome post though...

As I understand the new Stig is the old Stig (Perry McCarthy).

K

Originally posted by GDC200
Now whose going to be the first to buy one?

Most of us couldn't even afford the Insurance, let alone the car.:D :D :D

Nice write up, not fair making everyone drool like that.:cool: :cool:

Awesome pics, quality post! :D Thanks for sharing mrjones :)

S.

p.s. Looks like they use exactly the same camera mount as Scott did on our recent trip to Germany where we saw the SLR engine in production.

Last edited:
Fabulous pictures to match a fabulous car and write up.

Top post :bannana:

Awsome, thanks for the pics. Can't wait to see one:rock:

Originally posted by weebobster
....and I forgot ot point out...

ITS SILVER:bannana:

Silver or black - that's your only choice :cool:

Great pics mrjones - and fantastic scenery!

Love the door mirrors - wonder if they would fit my car ... ;) . One things for sure - there's no way comand will fit in there :p

:D Thanks for all the comments, glad you liked the pics.

As for the colour, it's "deeper" than any other silver I've seen before. Looks stunning up close! :cool:

great pics , well done & thanks

It does sound awesome - saw it at the MIRA testing facility on my AMG day going thru its paces on the speed test track.

One question....

Would you drive around in a car like that in South Africa? Talk about asking for trouble?

Great post BTW :)

Originally posted by GDC200
....then those going to be the first to mod one?:D

Originally posted by Flyer
Silver or black - that's your only choice

First mod would be BLUE paint.:D :D

Mr Jones.....You are probably the luckiest guy on MBclub.co.uk :eek: Im not sure if i will ever get to see one here in manchester (unless man utd buy Beckham back:D ) but really.....Thanks so much for the pics and write up.....WOW! the SLR looks better in those pics then in some of MB's pics...lolz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom