Gullwing AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This car has already been posted in a different context. To answer your question, I think to modify something like this means you have totally missed the point of the car.

I am generally in favour of modifications, preferably reversible or at least that add to the character of the vehicle and are in keeping. All especially good if it means the car can be used more often than sitting in a garage!

Ok its different if its a low value classic that had it not been saved would have just been scrapped, but its not going to happen with one of these is it!

Having said that, its not my car so they can do what they like to it. It would still be possible to return to standard one day as long as all the parts where kept safe somewhere!

A bit like a hot chick with no soul.

The Wheels spoil it.

I think the wheels look OK, but the interior colour is ghastly.

I'm maybe going against the tide here, but I love it. I'm surprised their isn't a bigger industry in updating classics. There's a company that do 60's Jaguars. Beautiful cars with all mod cons. Cost a bit though.

A customer of my fathers has one of those E types with modern underpinnings.

Best part of £200k apparently , but fantastic !

These were all built by HWA not AMG , I have the link to the build on HWA's site on my work laptop , I'll post it later if I can get time

A customer of my fathers has one of those E types with modern underpinnings.

Best part of £200k apparently , but fantastic !

That sounds wonderful:thumb:

Completely original is good but for frequent use, this example, along with the Eagle (E-Type) and modernised Jenson Interceptor are great and without the potential problems associated with vintage cars.

All the looks of a classic with benefits of a modern car.

Last edited:
Most classics get tweaked, from the basics such as electronic distributors, all the way up to rebuilding a la Gullwing here, although that is such an overhaul it is essentially a new model. Economics tends to be the reason most tweaks are less than this, it's not cheap to do and there are few benefits of scale, and anything too un-original is mostly value destructive - they have to be done really well to work, and most aren't.

While I am not too down on this,it would have been nice if say the wheels and interior were unique, rather than parts used all through the Mercedes range. There is a very tatty CLK just up the road with the same wheels, and the wooden dash is just horrid.

Completely original is good but for frequent use, this example, along with the Eagle (E-Type) and modernised Jenson Interceptor are great for daily use without the potential problems associated with vintage cars.

All the looks of a classic with benefits of a modern car.

My thoughts exactly.

Absolutely love it !! But it would look much better with original steel wheels.

The nuts

OMG, to do that to an original is a mortal sin in my books even if I can just about comprehend the reasoning behind it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom