Gutted ! Well the cats anyway & hr springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gledsyc63

Car
2012 c63 amg 14 amarok canyon
Thought it was a about time I got some extra sound from the car. I'd had a secondary cat delete straight pipe previously on the car but sold this to raise some funds to purchase a diff as was struggling to get grip after I'd had a euro charged remap.

So thought I would do a little thread on this as decided to gut them my self rather than straight pipe. Also decided to open the resonator and remove all the sound proofing from this.

image-3710411548.jpg

Both sections of the exhaust removed ready to start what a long day this would turn out to be.

image-4033315869.jpg

Resonator opened up. Careful if you wanted to try this you have to cut 2 separate pieces as there is a strengthening bar through the middle.

image-1932264315.jpg

Wasn't easy to remove the sound deadening material as its all wrapped around the exhaust pipes.

image-661139505.jpg

Now to start the cats I cut the top off but didn't cut it too far down so that once welded back together it would be hidden by the head shield under the car.

image-3906072434.jpg

I thought the resonator was hard to do. Gutting the cats was even harder took about 3 hours to do both, brute force in the end worked best but I also drilled some holes to make it easier to brake up.

image-1974230721.jpg

All welded up ready to be reinstalled.

After I'd done the exhaust is been toying with the idea of getting some hr springs as well. Seen as the car was already on axle stands and wheels off made sense to also do these. Been a bit of a tight b*****d I decide to also do these myself.

image-447644511.jpg

image-964141.jpg

Backs are really easy just remove the back bolt and lower with a jack.

image-140222556.jpg

When you place the cap back on the top of the spring I just put a little grease in the seat at the top to stop on squeaking.
To reinstall just do the reverse of the removal.

image-1493136420.jpg

To the fronts now, a little more difficult would of been easier to have a spring compressor from a garage but some manual ones will do.

Remove the not from this bolt which holds the strut to the hub.

image-2272038009.jpg

There is also 2 bolts lower down that hold the strut to the hub think these ones where e14 socket.

image-3984657916.jpg

image-3140117848.jpg

To loosen the top nut on the spring I needed to reinstall the shock back on the car and fasten the top 3 bolts under the bonnet this is where a garage would be able to do this on there spring compressors. Then remove once loose and use manual spring compressors so you can remove the nut fully. The spring should slide off the shock assembly then, replace with your new spring and do the same to reinstall.

image-3701596913.jpg

I had done springs before on other cars so had a bit of diy knowledge on fitting them. But would of been much easier using a ramp if you have access but is doable on the drive if you fancy saving some coin.

Letting the springs settle for a couple of weeks then will be going to get a laser alignment done to make sure everything is still ok.

Ride seems slightly softer over speed bumps. compared to the standard ones anyway.

Attachments

• image-2071701517.jpg
    image-2071701517.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 55
wow great work!!! Bet it sounds awesome....wish i could do that stuff myself!!

well done - nice to see some DIY on a car like this

Excellent - That must be loud? I have just the cats done and it sounds great on my car.

Great Job, how much louder is it now? ( I have gutted cats only and find that loud enough tbh )

Having just had the secondary cats removed and straight piped on the car previously. It's a little bit louder but no more intrusive in the cabin but gives some lovely pops and bangs even when just slowing down in comfort mode off the motorway you can just hear it making some small ones just right.

I think the straight pipe sounded slightly different whether this is due to forcing the gases through a pipe rather than them bouncing round inside an empty cat.

Next is an ipe just a little louder

Gledsyc63 said:
Having just had the secondary cats removed and straight piped on the car previously. It's a little bit louder but no more intrusive in the cabin but gives some lovely pops and bangs even when just slowing down in comfort mode off the motorway you can just hear it making some small ones just right. I think the straight pipe sounded slightly different whether this is due to forcing the gases through a pipe rather than them bouncing round inside an empty cat. Next is an ipe just a little louder dde01

I had my secondary's gutted, a remap and a Quaife fitted last autumn, the car was transformed from standard, the remap adding more pops and bangs.

I'm now about to have the 3rd Fi system installed in Europe, it's much like the iPE system, valved and absolutely mental sounding with valves open.

I'd highly recommend you check it out prior to ordering your iPE. Eurocharged are UK suppliers, give them a call.

Is not really heard anything of fi before until I spoke to a Guy local who had heard one and he was well impressed saying it was miles better than the ipe.

At first it sounded similar to an e46 m3 just slightly deeper but this may be down to YouTube vids rather than in person.

But they look nice as well with more choice of tips might have to hear one in person see if it changes my mind.

Is not really heard anything of fi before until I spoke to a Guy local who had heard one and he was well impressed saying it was miles better than the ipe.

At first it sounded similar to an e46 m3 just slightly deeper but this may be down to YouTube vids rather than in person.

But they look nice as well with more choice of tips might have to hear one in person see if it changes my mind.

Paul from Eurocharged sent me an in-car video of one, that was the seller for me.

iPE, although good, just don't seem to sound as good as the Fi in my opinion, plus there's the exclusivity of them, only 2 in Europe, so far, 3 when I have mine fitted.

Paul from Eurocharged sent me an in-car video of one, that was the seller for me.

iPE, although good, just don't seem to sound as good as the Fi in my opinion, plus there's the exclusivity of them, only 2 in Europe, so far, 3 when I have mine fitted.

Out of curiosity home much more are you paying for the "exclusivity" compared to an IPE system ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom