H&S again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
There are several flats in our building with a small common hall and a staircase.

Our managing agent informed us that their H&S man says that communal parts in buildings are deemed as workplaces and therefore the very strict H&S At Work regulations apply rather than just the less-stringent Building Regulations.

This means five yearly electrical wires testing (the light switches in the staircase), annual inspection of portable electrical devices (that would be the Henry in the broom closet), etc etc.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Sounds stupid enough so it must be correct.

Will you now need hard hats, safety footwear and eye protection each time you use those communal workplaces? I doubt it will be needed as you won't be covered by the insurance company to access them anyway. :rolleyes:

And apparently you are not allowed a door mat as its a trip hazard,And no outdoor ornaments flower pots etc,
Have they put up the Health and safety at work act yet?

Lol its a joke mate glad i live in a house i only have to abide by the wifes rules!

Tony.

May well be but on the other hand he may be trying to increase the management fee. Wouldn't cost much I suppose, £50 for the light testing and about £1 for the PAT test on the hoover although if its his he should have it anyway

Last edited:
Few workplaces within the premises would not constitute the whole of building as a 'workplace', if anything it would put the H&S requirements on the employers not residents in private dwellings.

PAT is not a legal requirement and it depends on the level of risk present within the environment the equipment is being used.

5 yearly test is the PET which stands for Periodic Electrical Testing and it is applied every:

10 years in domestic premises
5 years in offices
3 years in factories
1 year on caravan sites and construction sites

Few workplaces within the premises would not constitute the whole of building as a 'workplace', if anything it would put the H&S requirements on the employers not residents in private dwellings.

PAT is not a legal requirement and it depends on the level of risk present within the environment the equipment is being used.

5 yearly test is the PET which stands for Periodic Electrical Testing and it is applied every:

10 years in domestic premises
5 years in offices
3 years in factories
1 year on caravan sites and construction sites

IIRC, 1 year where electricity cables are above ground, 3 years otherwise.

Thank you for your posts.

While it is true that managing agents do try to get every possible additional (and chargeable) service carried-out, the mere fact that they recommended it does not necessarily mean that it does not actually need to be done...

I am trying to understand which of their 'recommendations' are a legal requirement, because for those that are, there is no need to discuss but we should just get them done.

Those that are not, we will need to understand better before committing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom