Halfords 5 Piece Lifting Kit - Any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No experience of this kit, but it certainly looks OK for the price. The jack looks a bit cumbersome, but Halfords stuff is generally good quality, and I can't see them selling tat which could come back to bite them.

The creeper actually looks comfortable enough to fall asleep on. :)

I've tried that sort of trolly jack before and they are not very good. The jack and axel stands are rated as 2ton each.

Think of it this way, if you are going to lift a 2-2.5 ton car and then crawl around under it, banging on it and using leverage do you really want lightweight jack and stands holding it up?

I had these things although by a different name initially when I started to do my own car mechanics. I very very quickly went out and bought a 3ton heavy duty jack. 3 Ton Heavy Duty Garage Trolley Jack | eBay
It has a twist handle release so much more convenient. It really is sturdy. I've kept the old cheap jack like this as it's always useful to compress shocks or lift the engine a little.

I then got 2 three ton axel stands, if each one can support 3 tons then a 2.5ton car should be fine. I rest my Jag and Volvo XC90 on them with complete confidence.

As for the creeper, I was given one, tried it for 30 seconds then put it back in the garage. Unless you have a really smooth floor like a proper workshop they are a bit pants, you also need to lift the car another 6" higher to get under it.

Just get good axle stands and a good jack, you don't want to regret it.

I've tried that sort of trolly jack before and they are not very good. The jack and axel stands are rated as 2ton each.

Think of it this way, if you are going to lift a 2-2.5 ton car and then crawl around under it, banging on it and using leverage do you really want lightweight jack and stands holding it up?

I had these things although by a different name initially when I started to do my own car mechanics. I very very quickly went out and bought a 3ton heavy duty jack. 3 Ton Heavy Duty Garage Trolley Jack | eBay
It has a twist handle release so much more convenient. It really is sturdy.

I then got 2 three ton axel stands, if each one can support 3 tons then a 2.5ton car should be fine. I rest my Jag and Volvo XC90 on them with complete confidence.

As for the creeper, I was given one, tried it for 30 seconds then put it back in the garage. Unless you have a really smooth floor like a proper workshop they are a bit pants, you also need to lift the car another 6" higher to get under it.

Just get good axle stands and a good jack, you don't want to regret it.

Good points. I do have all of those bits that Halfords are offering and have to admit I never use the creeper (it's too small for me). But the small trolley jack is handy (always carry it in the cars as the standard jacks are poor) even if I use a large 3T most of the time. The axle stands are fine and would have no concern using them on a 2T car, they are underrated anyway when it comes to a safe weight they can carry.

Ive had mine for 5 years and its not broken yet. For 40 quid its worth it just as extra support with a good trolley jack.

Dont believe the "Sale" price though though as its 40 quid most of the time !!!

poormansporsche;2240727 Dont believe the "Sale" price though though as its 40 quid most of the time !!![/QUOTE said:
That seems to be the way with almost everything these days. I wish somebody would actually define what a 'sale' is. :(

I've had mine for years too. Never let me down. Have total faith in the axel stands.

You're not putting 2 ton onto a 2 ton axel stand, you're only putting one corner on it.

The roller board is useful, although a bit crap if the surface isn't so smooth as the wheels are tiny.

I would personally get a better jack. There 3 tonne ones are far far better - Much bigger saddle and their construction is far more robust.
I only use a 2 tonne as a last resort.
The axel stands are OK, but again you would be better off with something more substantial IMO

First of all a trolley jack is is a must have even if it's only used for removing the wheels occasionally. The typical 2 tonne DIY ones are OK but if you are going to use it a lot and have the space to store a larger jack then a better one is very worth while. I doubt you'd get the car high enough with that jack and those axle stands to give enough clearance for using the the crawler. It would be useful if you had ramps though.

Think I am going to go with better. That SGS stuff looks nice. Just been looking at their website. Looks like decent quality gear at decent pricing. They have a good range of stuff so might raid the piggy bank!

Any thoughts on whether to go ratchet axle stands or normal ones? Guessing it just allows you more stages of height?

Might be worth getting a smaller 2 ton one in case to keep in the boot.

Thanks for all your thoughts & opinions.

I've got an arcan 3 ton low entry jack from costco. Lifts my range rover like it isn't there and goes under the caterham as well.
Very solid and very heavy - not for lifting about but easy to roll on a half decent surface. It was about £90 iirc. Well worth it

Looks like a late xmas present to myself could be in order. That SDS place has it all and seems decent. Anyone else got any SDS Engineerring stuff and have any experiences with their kit?

Fancy a 3 ton trolley jack, some ratchet axle stands, a 100ltr air compressor to kit myself out properly.

Anyone know if the air compressor impact wrench/ratchet attachments have a torque settings dial to limit the torque to the correct setting?

Are the bottle jacks any good or best to stick to the trolley jacks? They seem a fair bit cheaper so guessing not as goo as the conventional trolley jacks.

I have an engine stand and engine crane by SGS Engineering. For the money their stuff is great. Wouldn't hesitate buying from them in the future.

3 ton, low height wide spread wheels is best. Downside is they are heavy to move around.

So you can add the cheap halfords 2 ton narrow one in kit.

4 axle stands is good to have, but you can start with two

Wheel chocks (spelling?), also in the kit, are good for safety when you just have 1 or two wheels in the air.

Bottle jacks are good, and better in the boot than a trolley jack, but on modern cars there a few places to safely use a bottle jack without causing damage.

Good quality torque wrench is a must.

Unless you plan to use it for lots of different jobs, you might be better off getting a decent battery powered impact wrench rather than a compressor. You can dial down the air supply on a normal air wrench to reduce its power, so you don't over tighten.

cheers, Steve

Thanks.

I will use the compressor for cleaning the ride on mower and other stuff so can see it should get a bit of use. Just getting geared up as will be extending the garage a bit soon so will be able to get nicely kitted out.

The SGS 100ltr air compressor doesn't seem that much more cash than a decent battery impact wrench and should give better power. I tried a cheap electric one a while back from Amazon & it was useless so went back. Didn't have enough power to undo nuts I could with a slightly longer cross brace!

The guys on the Sports Maserati forum are suggesting a low profile as I guess my 4200 will be fairly low so makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom