Halfords paint spray cans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Are these any good or should I buy a can from the Dealership?
I'm after brilliant silver (9744) for my W202.

I was thinking that as my W202 is nearly 10 years old, a genuine paint from MB wont actually match my car anymore as the existing paintwork will have faded. Therefore, I was thinking a can from Helfrauds would do the job nicely.

Is this a fair assumption, or should I just go for an MB can?

No matter who makes it, they are all the same, and 044 is a perfect match. This is a base coat and not a real finish within its self. you are almost better off just using this with out the top coat clear as what you can buy in aerosols is not what is on the car.

By just waxing the base coat a reasonable job can be done.

If ever the care is re sprayed, then the p+aint that you have put on must be removed as it will be contaminated.

On bits like the strips under the headlamps that get bad, you can take thos off and apply the top clear coat as no blending is required

No matter who makes it, they are all the same, and 044 is a perfect match. This is a base coat and not a real finish within its self. you are almost better off just using this with out the top coat clear as what you can buy in aerosols is not what is on the car.

By just waxing the base coat a reasonable job can be done.

If ever the care is re sprayed, then the p+aint that you have put on must be removed as it will be contaminated.

On bits like the strips under the headlamps that get bad, you can take thos off and apply the top clear coat as no blending is required

Thanks Malcolm.
I've already bought a can of clear laquer from Halfords. Do you think I shouldn't use it?

Thanks Malcolm.
I've already bought a can of clear laquer from Halfords. Do you think I shouldn't use it?

You cant use it for blending on a large area as it will appear darker than the original, you can use it around wheel arches where the difference in colour wil not be seen owing to the curves, if you do just one light coat only where as with the base coat you can do many passes.

The clear is also OK on things like bumper skirts as the shape hides it.

Give it a try if its too dark you can remove it in seconds with a 1500 grit paper

You cant use it for blending on a large area as it will appear darker than the original, you can use it around wheel arches where the difference in colour wil not be seen owing to the curves, if you do just one light coat only where as with the base coat you can do many passes.

The clear is also OK on things like bumper skirts as the shape hides it.

Give it a try if its too dark you can remove it in seconds with a 1500 grit paper

OK thanks, will see how it goes.

My experience of HALFORDS BRILLIANT SILVER (MERCEDES)was that it was a better match than the twin pack aerosol cans bought from Mercedes! To put this into perspective Glasurit who used to supply the paint for Mercedes list 6+ different shades of Brilliant Silver 744 like silver coarse, silver fine, silver/blue, silver /red, silver/yellow, etc depending on which paint batch was used when the car was manufactured. I would not rule out HALFORDS BRILLIANT SILVER till you try it. As Malcolm says you can darken the base coat by increasing the thickness of the clear laquer on top of the base coat. Brilliant Silver is a b****r to match.
oops corrected paint code:eek:

Last edited:
Once it has dried;)

Yes 744 sorry :mad: yes correct and really dry as the paint that you have put on softens the original, this is why any masking has to be removed from patched panel repairs immediately other wise you will see the marks.
Working at 20c is so much easier with no trapped solvent to worry about

When the air it too hot /humid the bloom sets in. this is caused by the outer surface drying to quickly, trapping the solvents in.

Malcolm good advise again which I picked up too late and as you say if you use clear coat the paint shows up dark,I can vouch for that because I did just that today.

As you say Malcolm works fine for wheel arches etc but I tried my bonnet as it did not warrant a complete respray I will try your tip with the 1500 grit paper

Norman

Last edited:
Malcolm good advise again which I picked up too late and as you say if you use clear coat the paint shows up dark,I can vouch for that because I did just that today.

As you say Malcolm works fine for wheel arches etc but I tried my bonnet as it did not warrant a complete respray I will try your tip with the 1500 grit paper

Norman

Let us know how it goes.

Mr Shr, where abouts are you?
Near me is a car paint wholesaler, who also makes up spray paint in a can.
He gives you a massive paint card with 5 versions of the same colour, so you can match it to your own paint. Costs abour £8.00 a can but should be worth it, if can find one near to you

Mr Shr, where abouts are you?
Near me is a car paint wholesaler, who also makes up spray paint in a can.
He gives you a massive paint card with 5 versions of the same colour, so you can match it to your own paint. Costs abour £8.00 a can but should be worth it, if can find one near to you

I'm in Peterborough.
I've bought a can from Helfrauds and it seems ok, but not perfect (although that's probably down to my inability to apply paint properly.)

What's the name of the company you use and I'll see if there's an outlet here.

The firms name is L.E. Went and they are based in new Malden.
The trouble with paint is that it is affected by sunlight, and so the colour slowly changes from the original over the years, hence the differing shades made by the paint manufactorer

The firms name is L.E. Went and they are based in new Malden.
The trouble with paint is that it is affected by sunlight, and so the colour slowly changes from the original over the years, hence the differing shades made by the paint manufactorer

Indeed.
I suppose the differing shades are designed to simulate the ageing effect on the original paints.

Not used them but these people are meant to be spectacular at paint matching.
They can supply cans either with or without the lacquer mixed in already.

http://www.paints4u.com/

In all due respect Dieselman they cannot possibly get a good match without seeing the car, I have tried 3 different suppliers now and none have been a perfect match and I would not expect it with the age of my car (1999).

As we all know there are a lot of factors to take into consideration such as is the car left outside with the rain and sun on it all the time where do you live IE seaside is bad news due to the salty air,not trying to be picky or clever in any way but don't want somebody that has never used spray cans to be disappointed.

In all due respect Dieselman they cannot possibly get a good match without seeing the car, I have tried 3 different suppliers now and none have been a perfect match and I would not expect it with the age of my car (1999).

As we all know there are a lot of factors to take into consideration such as is the car left outside with the rain and sun on it all the time where do you live IE seaside is bad news due to the salty air,not trying to be picky or clever in any way but don't want somebody that has never used spray cans to be disappointed.

I am sorry but that is not correct, every firm that I know uses the car code, and few mix anymore, this is why if you damage a door, the adjoining door will get sprayed and any other panel on the same plain, and if done correctly even the sill or roof will get blended with a very high power thinners.

Paint on car has been stable since 1998 and it does not matter where you live as sea air has never changed the colour.

I put a tiny mark on the wing of my 1999 129 and it was near enough perfect when re sprayed.

The reason why its not possible to mix and match is because it is a base coat, and the colour is influenced by the top coat.

That's what I was saying about spray cans I am not on about workshop resprays.

As I said I have used 3 different suppliers and none of them have got a good match and you have answered the question with your reply about blending in the panels.

All I am saying to anybody that expects a good match with a can of spray paint is it probably won't be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom