halfords paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chubbs111

Car
clk270cdi
just purchased an aerosol from halfords colour 744 brilliant silver (already made up)and its no were near the correct colour,can anyone recomend anywere i can get an aerosol made that should be the correct colour please

What part are you trying to paint?

Bare in mind the original paint on your car would have faded over the years

There are places that can scan your paint and make up paint that matches very well

Ive used Halfords paint (744) for years without issue. once Laquered it should look fine.

When I have the W203 in Obsidian Black (197) I used Halfords' touch-up paint kit and this was fine.

But I then bought Halfors' Obsidian Black aerosol can, and painted over the primer from the touch-up kit.

Unfortunately the paint from the aerosol can did not agree with the primer... the paint started bubbling badly after 24 hours, in spite of the primer having dried fully and properly sanded.

I tried this again with same result... I finally gave up and has the area professionally sorted at a local body shop.

Not quite sure what happened there, just thought you should be aware.

Ive used Halfords paint (744) for years without issue. once Laquered it should look fine.
i have laquered and its miles out,i can see the difference from about 20yards away

chubbs111 said:
i have laquered and its miles out,i can see the difference from about 20yards away

Silver is possibly the hardest paint to match, even with the correct paint code. It reacts to light very quickly. Your safest bet may well be a professional body shop/painter. Some can match from image scanning rather than codes.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Well I found Halfords mixed up a touch up for my car which is Tanzenite Blue,the guy took about 20 mins to mix it cost £10 and was perfect,I am tempted to use them to change the brake fluid on my car at £37 it seems a bargain.

Well I found Halfords mixed up a touch up for my car which is Tanzenite Blue,the guy took about 20 mins to mix it cost £10 and was perfect,I am tempted to use them to change the brake fluid on my car at £37 it seems a bargain.

no dont!

I did and I regretted it

Use a decent indie

Remember. When you say "mixed" or "made up" what really happens, is a chart or a computer tells then the weight of each colour to stick in the empty can. Get that correct and you should have the colour as it WAS originally mixed.

So what it does not know, is what has gone on in the intervening years of your paints life.

Some dark colours (Tanzanite Blue was mentioned) tend to weather well. Reds do not. Silver is a nightmare.

Then you have to look at the quality of the paint and materials used?

It is a science and a skill.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I went to my local Halfords (Durham) last month to get some paint made up and was told that they are phasing out the service. They were not replenishing colours when stock ran out. Whether this just applies to certain branches or nationwide, I don't know.

Their silver 744 in cans is just fine...but, using it to good effect - is not so easy.

Are you 'OK' with spraying base coats?

20 years ago my then-new silver Omega needed to have a wing and door resparayed. This was carried out by a Vauxhall-approved body shop. In broad daylight the colour match was perfect. But when parked under yellow street light the car looked like a middle-eastern taxi....

Aerosol cans are ok for applying primer as you can flat it down afterwards, but not recommended for base coat.

The problem is one of atomisation as you cannot adequately regulate the amount of fluid applied from an aerosol can.

Most car paints these days include metallic particles and the lighter the colour, the more crucial it is achieve the correct atomisation / regulation of volume when applying the colour.

Going on too heavy will cause the metallic particles to bind together giving a colour mismatch and a tide mark / halo along the edge.

This is why mobile car body (SMART) repairers use expensive 'smaller' spray guns and are trained in 'wafting' on light metallic colours to achieve a seamless finish.

Bodyshops tend to use larger spray guns for spraying multiple panels, which tend to chuck out too much volume for achieving a satisfactory small to medium repair. This is why they need to spray and fade into several panels to 'lose' the edge.

Last edited:
Did use them once and it wasn't a match not far out and usable in discrete areas but not in full view . Trouble is that the process is a bit hit and miss as it relies totally on the operator's hand control and eye. If it was like matching domestic paint, like for example B & Q, where it is automated then there wouldn't be a problem. But adding the ingredients just by weight is never going to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom