Hamilton signs for McLaren 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does not seem to be breaking news anywhere else so not so sure myself either

Ah well-- maybe without foundation :eek: - did seem strange- especially now he's winning again.

And is vetted going to Ferrari they not said nothing although red bull have said he is ?

I would be very very surprised if Lewis went back to McLaren. One of his gripes whilst at MCL was that he was spending too much time doing marketing for the sponsors rather than racing. That was just one of many. I quit working there a year ago so things may have changed.

It's Jenson Button who is going to McLaren - here's a picture of him in one:

This is what Hamilton posted an hour ago on Facebook:
I'm focused on 1 thing & 1 thing only right now....Winning this championship!! I have not spoken to ANYONE about my future & certainly not to another team. I am committed 100% to MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS, this is my team & my belief in them is unmatched!

So he probably IS going back to McLaren! ;)

I think it is entirely possible.
There are strong rumours of button retiring (his choice or not, but he's apparently been offered a contract with Porsche to race in WEC) and Magnussen is holding his own. Hamilton (or any driver for that matter) doesn't want a team mate stronger than himself so has the motive to leave Mercs for a seat next to Magnussen.

Alonso is bu99ered at the moment. He has wrecked his last two teams, McLaren and Ferrari, so he's not with either of those, Red Bull is full, (as is Ferrari with Vettel and Raikkonen, he is NOT staying), doubtful he'll go to Mercs if Rosberg is there. What's left? Lotus with a Merc engine... The team with which he won 2 titles... Maybe.

So, Hamilton fits in back at Mclaren.

This is all fuelled by private briefings by driver's agents looking to strengthen their negotiation position.

IMHO the Mercedes line-up will not change. All things being equal, so far LH is beating NR. He has no reason to leave. NR makes an excellent no.2 to pick up good points to make the constructor championship a certainty.

I think it is entirely possible.
There are strong rumours of button retiring (his choice or not, but he's apparently been offered a contract with Porsche to race in WEC) and Magnussen is holding his own. Hamilton (or any driver for that matter) doesn't want a team mate stronger than himself so has the motive to leave Mercs for a seat next to Magnussen.

Magnussen is holding his own??? JB has 82 points, KM has 39.

Alonso is bu99ered at the moment. He has wrecked his last two teams, McLaren and Ferrari,

How has he wrecked two teams? Ferrari went off the boil (FA very nearly won the title for him in his first season there) due to the car being uncompetitive, and at McLaren a spat that both FA and RD are big enough to put behind themselves.

IMHO the Mercedes line-up will not change. All things being equal, so far LH is beating NR. He has no reason to leave. NR makes an excellent no.2 to pick up good points to make the constructor championship a certainty.

Much more likely.
NR has signed for 2015 so unless he indulges in wheelbanging with LH and is sacked, he's there for next year.
LH is whipping NR into being a dutiful number two driver and if/when LH wins the title he has to be given number one status.

The only upset I can see is if NR wins the title but even then I doubt that Lewis will bale for McLaren - unless he's seduced by Honda....

Bellow said:
Magnussen is holding his own??? JB has 82 points, KM has 39. How has he wrecked two teams? Ferrari went off the boil (FA very nearly won the title for him in his first season there) due to the car being uncompetitive, and at McLaren a spat that both FA and RD are big enough to put behind themselves.

Magnussen is a rookie, button is the most experienced driver in f1. Magnussen is doing a great job.

Alonso threw his toys out the pram when upstaged by rookie Hamilton. Take it from me that doesn't push a team forward. Alonso is doing well now considering, so perhaps my statement was a little rash, however he's not one to lead a team. He just needs everything to be right from the outset. Yes, he did nearly take the title but has done little to work 'with' the team.

Magnussen is a rookie, button is the most experienced driver in f1. Magnussen is doing a great job.

Granted KM is the highest placed rookie so far this season. But (and assuming Alonso is joining McLaren - or LH is) either JB or KM has to go. Which one? The case for JB is that he can garner double the points a rookie is likely to and he knows Honda. The case for KM is merely he has done OK so far. Perez had done OK but still got fired. Ditto Kovalinen. McLaren have a habit of not retaining rookies.
Time will tell, but at a guess Honda's voice will be heard.

Alonso threw his toys out the pram when upstaged by rookie Hamilton. Take it from me that doesn't push a team forward. Alonso is doing well now considering, so perhaps my statement was a little rash, however he's not one to lead a team. He just needs everything to be right from the outset. Yes, he did nearly take the title but has done little to work 'with' the team.

Alonso at McLaren was seven years ago - a long time in F1.
He was a significant part of Renault's success.
Can any one person shape Ferrari? Schumacher did - but could he have without Ross Brawn? Ferrari are in disarray. Beyond what FA can save them from.
Also, perhaps more than any current driver, FA brings a car home higher placed than the car has a right to. He never stops 'working' when there are points to be had. He is an asset to any team.

IMO Magnussen has been a bit of a disappointment.

I think McLaren should keep JB for another year and make a move for Grosjean to replace Magnusson.

Dryce said:
IMO Magnussen has been a bit of a disappointment. I think McLaren should keep JB for another year and make a move for Grosjean to replace Magnusson.

That's a very interesting point. Grosjean has good history with Boulier having won gp2 title with dams.

Bellow said:
McLaren have a habit of not retaining rookies.

Very true. And it's a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom