Handling related to soft tops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Hi all, I am considering a Winter project and have got a few ideas but I would like feedback from people who have owned the following cars with respect to their handling when driven spiritedly:D

1. Mazda MX5
  2. Toyota MR2 Roadster
  3. BMW Z3
  4. VW Golf GTi

I seem to remebe we had one member who raced MX5's :dk:

All comments most welcome.

Cheers

1. Slow
2. Slow
3. Ghey
4. Slow and looks like a pram.

I have a Mk2 MR2 Turbo, 0-60 in 5 seconds, custom exhaust 100% reliable. It even repairs itself between MOT's :D

Cracking run around/weekend car, cheap as chips

Hi Ian, we have a MX5 and I've had it out on a track day at Blyton. Great car to drive, just puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. Like being in a go kart, being so low down it feels fast even when your doing within the NSL.

Handling wise its very predictable, my wife has never had the back end step out but she doesn't drive it hard enough to do that. I do have the back stepping out on occasion, but its where you would expect, its progressive and easy to either correct easing off the loud pedal or push it further by stepping on the loud pedal.

I took it on the track for fun and also to really push it to test the limits (which I found), but again no big drama.

As a cheap fun car they are hard to beat although I guess the MR2 may be similar. I believe Wermorgan also used to have one so maybe he'll throw in his 2 cents.

Engine wise, the MK1's and MK2's had a choice of 1.6 or 1.8VVT, ours is a 1.6 producing 115bhp as standard, but the car only weighs 950kg :) The general consensus is that the 1.6 engine is stronger, much better if your planning to turbo or supercharge.

Best place to look for more info are the owners club forum and MX5 Nutz forum, both are very active with a wealth of knowledge available.

I'm not bothered about the engine as that will be coming out and getting junked, what I really need to know is what the chassis and suspension will take as if it's flawed with it's original engine it won't be any good for this project which hopefully will see it pushing out serious bhp with a quick 0-60 :D I'm up for a bit of work on suspension set up but don't want to have to be continually chasing a full redesign.

I'm not bothered about the engine as that will be coming out and getting junked, what I really need to know is what the chassis and suspension will take as if it's flawed with it's original engine it won't be any good for this project which hopefully will see it pushing out serious bhp with a quick 0-60 :D I'm up for a bit of work on suspension set up but don't want to have to be continually chasing a full redesign.

Stick with the Mazda or MR2 roadster then, Z3 3rd choice

I've not owned any of them, but have driven them all. In standard form none is any more exciting than your average family saloon. They certainly don't encourage particularly enthusiastic driving. If you want to potter about in the sunshine, on the rare days we have any, then they're all adequate.

I recently sold my Porsche 944 S2 Cabriolet, which was much more fun to drive (as well as being gorgeous to look at). A 3 litre engine at the front coupled to the rear gearbox makes the balance perfect. The suspension is well set up for the best of both worlds: comfort and handling. Probably a little more expensive than what you're considering, but many times better. And certainly more exclusive :)

I've not owned any of them, but have driven them all. In standard form none is any more exciting than your average family saloon. They certainly don't encourage particularly enthusiastic driving. If you want to potter about in the sunshine, on the rare days we have any, then they're all adequate.

I recently sold my Porsche 944 S2 Cabriolet, which was much more fun to drive (as well as being gorgeous to look at). A 3 litre engine at the front coupled to the rear gearbox makes the balance perfect. The suspension is well set up for the best of both worlds: comfort and handling. Probably a little more expensive than what you're considering, but many times better. And certainly more exclusive :)

I actually looked at the 944 but for what I'm contemplating I think it would just mean too much work as it's the gearbox position that would cause me the problem. I agree though a much better car than any I have mentioned in the OP:thumb:

But nowhere near as exclusive as a 968 cabriolet :thumb::thumb:- with more horses thanks to the variocam etc. Other than that, you're spot on - and there are folk who have fettled the 44 and 68 to well over 300hp!!

Plenty of MX5's pushing out 200bhp, an odd few go as high as 250bhp, not seen anything higher than that. There were factory turbo models at close to 200 and there are no complaints about handling that I've seen. That pushes you into around 6 secs on a 0-60 sprint.

I saw one MX5 at Blyton that had a 1200cc Kawasaki ZZR engine in it, went very well and the weight saving was huge.

MX5 is the natural choice there, for quite a few reasons

- very cheap car to buy and run
- there are lots of modified MX5 already out there - therefore lots of knowledge
- easy availability of parts, both standard and performance modified
- off the shelf 1/2 and full roll cages available -good for safety and torsional stiffness
- easier to sell a modified MX5 than any other of the mentioned cars

5. Elise?
6. Vauxhall VX220?

Too expensive for this project as the engine in whatever I buy will be junked and replaced.

Elise is a bit over rated ans should have been called Elsie which would have suited it better,but VX220 awesome car :D:thumb:

Not driven any in the OP, but for a left field (not to mention left hand drive) idea can I put in an honourable mention for the Fiat Barchetta? I've had one for 3 years and it's a demon on a twisty road. I know the purists will sneer as it's front wheel drive but it is such a sweet thing to drive and doesn't know the meaning of the word understeer. Or scuttle shake for that matter :). Pretty good for something based on a Punto Chassis..

Cheers,

Gaz

Get the gti. My brother will get 350 bhp out of it for you

I'd like to know more about what you've got planned for whatever you settle for.

What engine do you want to put in it?

Get the gti. My brother will get 350 bhp out of it for you

Thats the figure I'm aiming for, I have an unused race engine that is begging to be fitted in a road car :D

More details later when I've done my homework :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom