Hands up current or ex-Saab owners on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr1nch

Car
2017 W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus : Iridium Silver and Black Nappa
Seeing so many posts about Mercedes cars costing a lot to repair, it's reminding how little I've had to repair them two Saabs I've had consecutively over the past 15 years.

Both bought when they were 5 years old, my first (best car I ever had at that point) was that Saab sky blue and tan leather 9-5 2.3 LPT estate. It needed a new head after a few years (the AA man had one!) but everything else, reasonable wear and tear: discs, pads, an exhaust. The other and my current car a gun metal grey 9-3 1.9 TiD 150bhp convertible, Vector Anniversary. Zero hassle so far save for me driving into the fastest sleeping policeman who ever lay down in sunny Belgium....

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Two 9000s, a V6 (petrol) and a 2.3 fpt, then a 9-5 Aero estate. I was really impressed with the performance of the two turbo cars - until I bought my first E55.

Had a 99 Turbo donkeys years ago .

Great car .

The prototype- suitably idiosyncratic - the Ursaab!
Ursaab.jpg

I've had:

SAAB 9000 cost £495
SAAB 93 Aero
2* SAAB 95 Aeros

My old 93, with a 300E-24V and scooby in garage - what a mixed bag!

Silver 2002 9-3 Aero Coupe , purchased privately when it was just three years old for 30% of its original new price.

Owned for seven years and traded in for the CLS , apart from fitting lowering springs it was standard and only let me down once when the 10 year old battery gave up.

100_1317-1.jpg

Contemplated the new 9-5 prior to getting the CLS but wasnt brave enough as Saab was going to the wall meaning little or no backup for the new car.

Still fancy a soft top Viggen , in blue , if garage space was not an issue.

Kenny

I had a 93 Aero coupe - ran it as a daily for a year, spent a couple of quid on normal stuff, sold it after 15k and a year for twice what i paid

Cracking car

Got this car for £0, had a blown engine. Got a new engine for £250, noob tune remap for £80 and it was monster fast :D

Bought a 3.5 year old 2004/04 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT.

That always needed extra bits so every annual service and MOT was usually around £500/£600.

The first service was £1200.

Had the DI cassette as well during the year.

So I can't really say mine was cheap to run although at £8.5k to buy, from whatever they were new, I can't really grumble!

One of the last, an '11 plate TTiD:

It was a great car for a FWD and did everything I could have hoped for: very good on diesel, comfortable ride and stood out in a sea of Passats etc

Still see the current owner from time to time and it's not put a foot wrong in the two years he's owned it.

A 4 door 900 when I was broke in 1993 ish. 4 door like Henry Crabbe's in pie in the sky iirc. When I bought it for two hundred quid a dog had eaten most of the steering wheel so it was just a metal ring. Water pump failed but cracking car really.

I bought this for not too many ponies, from a friend of WEMorgan.... a 2.3 Lpt Turbo.

SDC12573.jpg

Did 30k, with only a throttle body to change... When I came to change it, it ended up sitting under quite a lot of snow for 3 months.

SDC13284.jpg

Expected a bit of trial to start it. Nope. First turn of the key and it was away.

I also had a 9-5 2.3LPT in silver - auto box, on a Y plate. Looked just like David Powell's above, except it had the multispoke wheels.

It was a bit unreliable, iirc. The DI cassette went on the M11, leaving me to coast to the hard shoulder, whereupon a small fire happened under the bonnet. Got it recovered and fixed, and then the cat caught fire. On another occasion I had a bit of a tank-slapper in it on the motorway. I suspect there was something wrong with the front suspension geometry; perhaps a previous owner had had an incident.

A bit later I lost it at about 15 mph on some ice and hit a lamppost. In coming to a halt the inside of the offside front wheel smacked the kerb, and sheared all the suspension mountings.

Economical, too. I once left it in Sport, and managed 18 mpg.

Loved that car!

Nice to hear the stories and see the pics. Here's mine btw...
29e9a00cfc82d16f189f81881f5ef480.jpg
The leather is still holding up. Its 2007 bought in 2012 for 8.5k after the owner from new had only done 37k miles in it. The car list was £29k or so, but were Saab were discounting like the best of them?

I'm also about to part-exchange out next week for the S350d. Quite a difference!
6fb1e68ddf5355a71e4441d99a34badb.jpg
Fantastic car this one, bought again at 5 years old for £6k back in 2003 I think.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Had a 99 Turbo donkeys years ago. Great car.

Mmmm, forgot about that, Derek.

19348d1278759158-there-perfect-vehicle-all-s99ts.jpg

Covered over 57k miles in mine between Nov'80 and Aug'87. Frightening top-end acceleration and, for its day, not many cars were faster.

L J K Setright opined that the mark of a fast car was if it did 60 - 90 quicker than 0 - 60. Horrendous torque-steer, though.

With 185bhp my 900 Turbo S that followed was even quicker. Back in them days you got a lot more for your bhp...:D

I remember those as a young lad. Always liked them, I think everybody did at the time, just the mention of turbo was enough. :D I don't recall the gold graphics.

It always nice to see LJK being mentioned too.

Last edited:
I had a Lime Yellow Vector 2.0T Convertible as a company car back in 2004. Did 60-odd thousand in it in two years and not a single thing went wrong. It was a great car.
Here's a picture of her in the pits at the old Reims circuit.

and one with a fetching fire dept. vehicle when out hotel was on fire...

EDIT: can't get dropbox links to work, will try later

Last edited:
I remember those as a young lad. Always liked them, I think everybody did at the time, just the mention of turbo was enough. :D I don't recall the gold graphics.

It always nice to see LJK being mentioned too.

The mention of LJKS reminds me of the GBU section at the back of Car magazine , where SAABs were summed up as 'Thoughtful cars for thoughtful people' .

Still sitting on 9000 seats. Duly transplanted into a 107SL and recovered to suit.
Nicest, most comfy and lightest seats ever. Complete with Saab armrest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom