Handsfree boot open/close

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazB

Car
2016 C250 Sport Premium - Polar White
May sound a bit of a dumb question, but is there a knack to the hands free boot opening/closing on a C Class (W205).

I know you're meant to make a kicking motion under the rear bumper, but is there a sensor somewhere that I need to be swiping over?

It just seems so temperamental, sometimes it works to the left hand side, sometimes to the right, and sometimes not at all!

Not sure if faulty, or it's just not as good as it could be!

My initial attempts didn't work very well, until I realised that you have to a full kick, i.e. foot in AND foot out.

I've tried all forms of kicking up to the point of looking like a moron and putting bags and/or child on the floor to open it the old fashioned way!

Even the mother in law gave it a go at the weekend and sliced her toe open as she scraped the underside of the bumper. Needless to say she won't be attempting it again! (kicking my car! :-(

Practice makes perfect.

ps. can I watch? :D

I've mastered the knack of a quick'ish kick forward directly under the Rear parking sensor to the left of the number plate. Stop before hitting the underside of the car.

I've figured out that sideways or even slightly sideways motions hardly every work.

Yeah I'm going to keeping a beady eye on people walking back to their new Merc and then doing the Strictly round the back.

There is a knack to this.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out. Left foot in and you shake it all about.
Okey kokey?

Ya beat me to that one Ted. :doh:

I'm going to tell my mother-in-law that our car unlocks by kicking the tow bar with her shin. :D

Ant.

I don't think I'd get her to do a repeat performance for the camera to be honest!

Anyway I've spent the best part of 5 minutes kicking under the rear bumper and I reckon I'm getting a 20% success rate at best! Kicking around like a flailing idiot. Just cannot not suss it all and starting to think it's faulty.

I don't think I'd get her to do a repeat performance for the camera to be honest!

Anyway I've spent the best part of 5 minutes kicking under the rear bumper and I reckon I'm getting a 20% success rate at best! Kicking around like a flailing idiot. Just cannot not suss it all and starting to think it's faulty.

Not a great success rate Gaz. Maybe a trip to the local dealer will help identify if it's faulty.

Ant. :thumb:

Shame :(

:D :D :D

If it's anything like my E63, it doesn't work if I'm stood too close to the back of the car. I find I have to stand at least 18 inches from the back of the car and then I can reliably just kick forward and under the rear splitter and the bootlid opens.

Surely you'd want there to be a bit of a learned 'knack' to this, otherwise someone crossing the road behind you, or walking past your car would open your boot.

Surely you'd want there to be a bit of a learned 'knack' to this, otherwise someone crossing the road behind you, or walking past your car would open your boot.

You have to have the key in your pocket. It's somewhat unlikely that you would be standing at the rear of the car and someone would just wonder by and "kick" the back of your car.....

You have to stand back and only do one kick action (there is usually about a 2 second delay before the boot jumps open) - if you do multiple kicks it seems to cancel and so it appears not to work.

The same with closing, one kick action and wait about 2 seconds

Open and close with about 18 inches away as st13phil says. Clean in AND out like Tangey says too.

If I'm cleaning the car I kick again to interrupt the boot motion so it ends up about halfway so I can clean in the recess area of the numberplate lights. Kick again to fully close or open.

Now I know why so many people are constantly kicking the bumper of their Mercs. And there was me thinking that they were really upset with their cars, and taking their frustration out on the bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom