Handsfree is a must!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

007Pete

Car
2008 Mercedes CLS 320
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a 2008 CLS 320CDI and must have handsfree for my work phone. The connection for the old style 6310 for example, is in the centre console, minus its cradle. Both are readily available on the Bay but my question is:

Once i buy and fit the cradle and phone into the centre console, is there any way of connecting or pairing my modern samsung/iphone via Bluetooth (or the force, whichever works)???

Or as i suspect, just fit a parrot!!

Any advice please would be grateful as i need to get it sorted asap.

Many thanks All :thumb:

Pete

Talk to or email Alfie or Richard at comandonline (sponsors of this forum), have your VIN handy as they can use that to look up exactly what is fitted to your car and tell you what you need - at a guess not the Nokia cradle but a bluetooth adapter to fit to the cradle.

I have a 2008 CLS 320CDI and must have handsfree for my work phone.

We are banned from making or taking work calls while driving (handsfree makes no difference), and in fact all meetings are supposed to start with an announcement "if you are dialled in and driving you must hang up immediately"!

On my SL. I had a Nokia 6230 cradle when I bought the car. I bought a phone, fitted a 99p Tesco SIM and just forward all calls from my MotoG to the Tesco number. Works perfectly and for the number of calls I get (not many) it wasn't worth paying for Bluetooth.

In our of our cars I have the iPhone 3Gs cradle, which locks the handset into position in the usual way, and powers the phone, however the audio is actually routed through Bluetooth receiver built into the cradle (not the headunit).

So I have an old iPhone 3Gs in the cradle, but connect our other phones to Bluetooth. The cradle isn't smart enough to know that it's actually a different phone. Works great and you can pick up the 3Gs cradle for £50 (or less if you wait) on eBay.

On my SL. I had a Nokia 6230 cradle when I bought the car. I bought a phone, fitted a 99p Tesco SIM and just forward all calls from my MotoG to the Tesco number. Works perfectly and for the number of calls I get (not many) it wasn't worth paying for Bluetooth.

LOL I still have a Nokia 6230 cradle fitted in my R129 (and a couple of old handsets somewhere). And my current phone is a MotoG!

I bit the bullet and bid on an MB-2 on eBay. - I already made the mistake of buying a SAP puck and found my Android phone won't talk to it... and whilst it does recognise the SIM card if I insert one, it never finds any network service.

Hopefully I'll see it later this week and it will work with my phone. - I generally don't need to talk or text whilst in the car, but when I do it tends to be because I'm running late and need to update someone on my ETA.

In our of our cars I have the iPhone 3Gs cradle, which locks the handset into position in the usual way, and powers the phone, however the audio is actually routed through Bluetooth receiver built into the cradle (not the headunit).

So I have an old iPhone 3Gs in the cradle, but connect our other phones to Bluetooth. The cradle isn't smart enough to know that it's actually a different phone. Works great and you can pick up the 3Gs cradle for £50 (or less if you wait) on eBay.

Ok I admit I am no tech,I have a 3gs cradle fitted and a 3gs iphone,I was given a much newer smart phone but have never used it because of the hands free that the 3gs allows me,simply tell me again how to get my new phone to work with the 3gs cradle please

Ok I admit I am no tech,I have a 3gs cradle fitted and a 3gs iphone,I was given a much newer smart phone but have never used it because of the hands free that the 3gs allows me,simply tell me again how to get my new phone to work with the 3gs cradle please

You need to get a bluetooth emulator that fits your 3g cradle. Then your new phone will pair to it via bluetooth so you keep your phone in your pocket and the car 'sees it'. It's not as quick as a direct connected phone and takes maybe a minute to recognise it but far more convenient than a fixed in phone.

Last edited:

If your 3Gs has previously been paired to the cradle, unpair it or disable Bluetooth. Then insert your 3Gs in the cradle, so it's charging.

Then, follow the instructions which came with your cradle to initiate pairing, but instead of pairing the 3Gs pair your new phone.

From memory, you press and hold a button on the cradle, a blue LED flashes on the cradle, you then search for the cradle from the Bluetooth settings on your new phone, and punch in the pairing PIN number when prompted.

If your 3Gs has previously been paired to the cradle, unpair it or disable Bluetooth. Then insert your 3Gs in the cradle, so it's charging.

Then, follow the instructions which came with your cradle to initiate pairing, but instead of pairing the 3Gs pair your new phone.

From memory, you press and hold a button on the cradle, a blue LED flashes on the cradle, you then search for the cradle from the Bluetooth settings on your new phone, and punch in the pairing PIN number when prompted.

Instructions on how to pair can be found here: http://www.mercupgrades.com/manuals/cradles/iPhone-cradle-manual.pdf

1. Turn the ignition key to position 1, 2 or 3.

2. Press the Bluetooth® button for approximately 2 seconds. The LED flashes rapidly. The cradle is visible to searching devices for approx. 2 minutes and can be detected by the mobile phone.

3. Select "Settings" "General" "Bluetooth" on the mobile phone and set the button to "I".

The mobile phone begins searching for the cradle. When the mobile phone finds the cradle, „iPhone Cradle“ appears in the mobile phone display.

4. Select "iPhone Cradle" on the mobile phone. A passkey prompt appears in the display of the mobile phone.

5. Enter the number 62872 on the mobile phone and confirm with "connect".

6. The mobile phone is now ready to be used with the hands-free system.

Well, one of my first posts that already seems to be a benefit to other members!!

So, what are we saying here then? do i need to order the Mercedes Bluetooth Cradle OR the 3gs thingy mentioned above? I gather the MB one would be best, but thoughts please.
The old style cradle and 6310i would be cheaper as long as it connects my iPhone 6 via bluetooth....

I was just about to order the MB too!!

Pete

Thanks Pete for starting this,never been much good getting mobile phones to do anything,so will give the solutions a go,will post what happens,have too much on today,thanks to Bobby Dazzler and Druk.

Well, one of my first posts that already seems to be a benefit to other members!!

So, what are we saying here then? do i need to order the Mercedes Bluetooth Cradle OR the 3gs thingy mentioned above? I gather the MB one would be best, but thoughts please.
The old style cradle and 6310i would be cheaper as long as it connects my iPhone 6 via bluetooth....

I was just about to order the MB too!!

Pete

Pete, the 3Gs cradle route is useful if you already have an iPhone 3/3Gs and cradle, or can pick one or both up very cheaply.

Although I can't guarantee it, I think you could do the same with an iPhone 4/4s and cradle, and there are two iPhone 4 cradles on eBay right now which could be had for £20 - one auction one BIN with best offer.

I don't believe the same can be achieved with an iPhone 5/5s and cradle though, as I don"t think the iPhone 5 cradle has Bluetooth built in - it requires Bluetooth built into your headunit - and if you had that then I don't think this thread would have started!

If you need to buy both an iPhone and a cradle then it's not worth it, just get the right cradle or Bluetooth solution for your phone.

Folks, Great responses and information received.

I'm going for the MB bluetooth option to connect my iPhone 6 or Samsung S6. Plenty on 'The Bay' with the pairing code so I'll get one purchased.

Thanks to all who commented and I'm sure this thread will be useful to other members.

I'll comment back once fitted with feedback.

Pete :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom