Happy 10th birthday to my W219

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
Possible boring post alert but thought I would share some CLS love.

My W219 has just turned 10 years old and I have owned it for getting on for 6 of these years. It's been amazing as a long term ownership proposition, still drives brilliantly as you would expect and from most angles the shape hasn't dated much at all. Nothing out there at the moment that is tempting me to change partly because the car still ticks all the boxes for me and partly due to the lack of lightly used recent mid level petrol models in circulation (petrol suits my usage pattern currently).

Other than routine servicing the car has needed the following work from memory:
Cam sensors (warranty item shortly after purchasing car)
Couple of window regulators
Several parking sensors
Rear springs

There are no signs of rust anywhere too which is a big plus point having previously had a W208. Initial worries about the M272 engine have proved unfounded, no engine troubles, the car still goes like you would expect a 300bhp car to go and sounds great too. The only minor frustration is a lack of folding rear seat.

Summer photo below for interest.

Attachments

• CLS2.jpg
    CLS2.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 33
Nice car[emoji106] and my next car. I shall be getting the estate version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of life in it yet. It will still look fabulous in another 10 years.

Well this thread has proven to be a jinx.

Came out of the house yesterday to find it's nose on the floor, the NS front spring snapped overnight.

It isn't steerable without catching the arch so going to have to be low loadered.

Anyone know the up to date rules on Mobilio off the top of their head? Car has FMBSH in my name for last 6 years but last 2 services were "value services". I'm in the RAC but would be more straightforward to get MB to shift if it is FOC.

Thanks and a happy new year to all.

I dont think Mobilo is still valid with the value servives.

When mine broke I removed the struts , very easy, and took them to MB Grangemouth who supplied and fitted a set of the correct springs for £200 all in.

It is a very poor design having the upper coils with a larger diameter than the spring seat allowing the spring to fall over the strut if they break at the lower coils , if it happened at speed then it could be problematic.

Kenny

As above, if you can remove the struts and any decent garage will sort. Get genuine MB parts though. Springs for my 211 were £100 the pair so I guess another ton would see them changed. Refitting struts is easy.

Thanks folks for the tips.

As it turned out, I was covered by Mobilio and as I'm suffering from a man flu and have an ill relative in hospital I decided to have MB recover it.

They just quoted me a repair price - sit down. £349 per spring fitted.

What's really confusing though is they said when the spring failed it caused damaged to a front brake disc so it will need both front discs and pads at £450 and I must have this done. Don't really see how the spring breaking could cause this. Any idea guys?

At £1150 this would be a pricey repair for a simple issue.

Last edited:
As it turned out, I was covered by Mobilio and as I'm suffering from a man flu and have an ill relative in hospital I decided to have MB recover it.

Possibly it's the have a service and get a free year of Mobilo rather than the lifetime version...either way, sorted :)

They just quoted me a repair price - sit down. £349 per spring fitted..

How can they possibly charge two hours labour to replace one spring ?

Genuine springs are £80 each with the VAT , so they are charging £270 to remove and refit three nuts and one bolt and replace a spring. What a pi$$ take.

The only way the broken spring could have damaged the disc is if had become stuck in the disc are the car is moving , but as yours broke when stationary i dont know how any damage could have been caused by a broken spring.

No wonder the dealers are getting a bad name.

Kenny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom