Has Anyone Put Loaned A Vehicle To A Museum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Has Anyone Loaned A Vehicle To A Museum?

I've asked this before, but a long time ago.

Do you loan it, and can you get it back when you want it back?

Who insures it?

Anything else useful to know?

It's a collectable Japanese motorcycle, if there are any recommendations of where it might go.

Last edited:
There's a Motorcycle Museum down in the New Forest, New Milton I think. Sammy Miller's place, he of Trials fame back in 1960's with his ultra lightweight Ariel.

What's the bike?

In my experience it varies from place to place but ultimately if it's not costing them anything you can call the shots within reason.

You'd loan rather than gift it if you want to retain ownership. Generally it's for a protracted period, taking it in and out all the time becomes a pain for the curator at which point they usually prefer not to have it.

Try and thrash everything out beforehand - make it clear what you expect from them, and get them to be precise about their intentions. Finding out it's been pawed and molested by all and sundry will be a bit of a shock if you were expecting it to be in a glass cabinet.

There's a Motorcycle Museum down in the New Forest, New Milton I think. Sammy Miller's place, he of Trials fame back in 1960's with his ultra lightweight Ariel.

What's the bike?

Thanks,

It's this.

A Honda CB1100RD 1983 - homologated so Honda could enter production racing in 1981.

There were three derivatives - B, C, and D. Mine's a D.

150 of each came to the UK, mainly to go to the track in the hands of Dunlop, Haslam and Gardiner.

This photo was when I showed it at the National Motorcycle Museum.

Finding out it's been pawed and molested by all and sundry will be a bit of a shock if you were expecting it to be in a glass cabinet.

We visited a motor museum a few years ago and they had a Japanese motorcycle section, with a Gold Wing, a Z1R and a non Japanese Benelli 750 SEI, all behind a roped off section, out of reach of Joe Public.

That's pretty much the sort of display I'd expect, but I know it's not always the case!

As an aside, what's your take on the AC Sanctuary version?

I was going to suggest the National Motorcycle Museum, but I guess you have already spoken to them?

This link gives a list of most of the major motorcycle collections.

Motorcycle & Transport Museums | UK

Haynes Museum at Sparkford might be a good shout, especially as they have just opened their redeveloped site and probably have much more space now.

Or maybe Donnington ......... ?

Last edited:
I was going to suggest the National Motorcycle Museum, but I guess you have already spoken to them?

I haven't Brian - I assumed they were a British only collection (and they had that fire a while ago :eek:).

Sorry, I don't know what that is :dk:.

Ah, a modernisation and update program using top drawer parts - Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes, OZ wheels and some exquisitely engineered and machined additions.

honda-cb1100-3.jpg

Ah, a modernisation and update program using top drawer parts - Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes, OZ wheels and some exquisitely engineered and machined additions.

honda-cb1100-3.jpg

I'm glad they kept the design the same - very pretty.

Sorry, I don't know what that is :dk:.

As previously mentioned , they do stunning retro upgrades to 70`s + 80`s "classic" machines without making them look like a dogs dinner.

AC ???????? | RCM-Z1/Z2

If you want to leave your CB in my garage then you are more than welcome but it may get bullied by the four Kawa`s that already live in there. You can have access anytime to use the bike and you can even leave your car in my care whilst you enjoy the bike around the Scottish West coast, a generous offer I think you will agree :D

Kenny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom