Have mercs not got traction control to stop wheel spin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JethroUK

Car
C220
Had to take 3 relatives to visit my wife's mum in hospital in snowy road conditions
Afraid to say my shiny Merc C220 is the worst car I've ever had to drive in these conditions
Back end broke away far too many times despite me driving more carefully than any other car on the road
Have mercs not got traction control to stop wheel spin?
The car is uber fast and uber responsive which is great under normal road conditions but potential disastrous in snow
My previous Rover 75 auto had snow mode which I don't know what it did and never had cause to use but whatever it did my merc desperately needs

Whilst I understand rear wheel drives are prone to break at the back end it does not excuse how badly the car performs in snow and frankly i dont know how it got off the production line because its beyond safe in snow

Simple answer is yes, but it's not designed to help in snow. Counter-intuitively, disabling your traction control and engaging C or W mode on your gearbox may help.

Automatic, Rear Wheel Drive, wide and low profile performance tyres is a combination which doesn't make for good progress in snow.

There is a cure, a set of quality winter tyres will transform your car.

Or, if winter tyres aren't a practical option, place at least 100Kg weight in the boot, evenly spread across the car and and flush up against the rear seat squab (so that it is directly over the rear axle) in a way that means it cannot move or slide around (though check your owner's manual for the maximum permitted weight in the boot). Bags of sand or cement are perfect.

It makes a huge difference in snow.

I have an estate and place approximately 200Kg in the boot in snowy conditions - it keeps me moving safely when other MBs are sliding around.

Is the OP asking a serious question?

I ask this because of the fundamental flaw in arguing that a Rover 75 is better in snow. It probably is...it's FRONT WHEEL DRIVE.

And then talking about safety...and not having winter tyres. It's a car...it cannot defy the basic laws of physics. You have two cars, both rear wheel drive, one a BMW the other an MB, both have the same tyres...which is better in the snow...neither, they are the same...the snow doesn't know the difference, all it knows is the tyre in contact with it.

Quit complaining, either don't drive in the snow...or take responsibility if you must and buy winter tyres.

And for those complaining about our inability in the snow, spare a thought for the 15000 cars stuck on the roads to Geneva tonight.

Last edited:
place at least 100Kg weight in the boot, evenly spread across the car and and flush up against the rear seat squab (so that it is directly over the rear axle) in a way that means it cannot move or slide around (though check your owner's manual for the maximum permitted weight in the boot). Bags of sand or cement are perfect.

It makes a huge difference in snow.

I have an estate and place approximately 200Kg in the boot in snowy conditions - it keeps me moving safely when other MBs are sliding around.

The above is all I ever do when the snow gets bad here, paving slabs work a treat.

Simple answer is yes, but it's not designed to help in snow. Counter-intuitively, disabling your traction control and engaging C or W mode on your gearbox may help.

Automatic, Rear Wheel Drive, wide and low profile performance tyres is a combination which doesn't make for good progress in snow.

There is a cure, a set of quality winter tyres will transform your car.

I'll try switch off traction control which is counter intuitive

Won't be buying winter tyres but I will drop rear tyre pressures until the snow has gone

Just disappointed Merc havnt bothered to deal with traction/safety in the snow

I ask this because of the fundamental flaw in arguing that a Rover 75 is better in snow. It probably is...it's FRONT WHEEL DRIVE[

Maybe you just read what you wanted to read but no where did I say my Rover 75 is better in the snow (of course it was) I just suggested that Rover had considered driving in the snow (even though I never needed it) yet Mercedes Benz have NOT consider driving in the snow despite the fact that it DESPERATELY needs it

I don't know how the car made it off the production line when limited slip differential technology has existed since the 60s to make rear wheel drive cars perform SLIP-FREE in the snow

Maybe you just read what you wanted to read but no where did I say my Rover 75 is better in the snow (of course it was) I just suggested that Rover had considered driving in the snow (even though I never needed it) yet Mercedes Benz have NOT consider driving in the snow despite the fact that it DESPERATELY needs it

I don't know how the car made it off the production line when limited slip differential technology has existed since the 60s to make rear wheel drive cars perform SLIP-FREE in the snow

It is all about tyres. In most of Europe it is a legal requirement to have winter tyres and carry snow chains. Not over here in the UK where the weather is so varying.

Of course Mercedes have considered the snow. Of course the car is safe. The problem is the decision maker behind the wheel.

I'm fortunate to have a second car that is front wheel drive. I would never take my Merc out in the snow and ice. Particularly if I was carrying my family.

Last edited:
It's the combination of rear wheel drive and big fat tyres which cause the problem rather than some inherent flaw (although you could argue RWD is weaker in snow) but, presumably, you chose RWD for reasons of preference rather than its ability to cope in wintry conditions.

If you take any car out with fatter tyres than it really needs (driven by market preference vis a vis the way they look) for complete traction it will struggle in the snow, as described by Renault in post 4. I had a FWD Mondeo on 225 tyres with 217BHP going through them. I couldn't drive it a yard off my parking space due to a tiny incline. My Audi Quattro was similarly over-tyred but made great progress in snow. It was 4x4.

If snow performance is a big issue for you get a four wheel drive or some winter tyres. Mercedes shift plenty of cars in climates where snow is a fixture for months on end.

If it's still bad where you are try again with the traction switched off and by adjusting your driving style to compensate. Better still, don't, and wait until it's gone.

Doesn't make any difference whether its a Merc, BMW, Lexus etc.....anything rear wheel drive without winter tyres is going to be rubbish in the snow, especially if combined with big, wide, low profile tyres.

Just disappointed Merc havnt bothered to deal with traction/safety in the snow

I'm sure Mercedes would love to change the laws of physics, but I'm guessing they would go bust before solving the problem.

I'm sure Mercedes would love to change the laws of physics, but I'm guessing they would go bust before solving the problem.

:)

Although they don't really need to as an old ML with M&S tyres gets ridiculously close! :thumb:

If you're crawling around the streets switch the ESP off

YOU ARE CORRECT MODERN MERCS HAVE ASR :thumb:
QUOTE:-
If the driver accelerates too abruptly and one of the driven wheels starts to spin, the Acceleration Skid Control (ASR) helps the wheel to regain sufficient traction.
It does this using the same sensor signals as the anti-lock braking system (ABS), but to detect wheel spin rather than wheel lock. It then brakes the spinning wheel and reduces engine torque to stabilise the vehicle.

However----------- the effect of this selective wheel braking is to direct more torque to the other driven rear wheel----- which is fine if it has grip :eek:-------- if it hasn't then basically the system has only "reduces engine torque to stabilise the vehicle" left in its armoury:doh: -- which leaves you going nowhere fast.:eek:
Problem is that ASR is designed mainly as a stability control rather than a traction control. As had been said put on a decent set of winter tyres to increase traction and the ASR is once more back in its "comfort zone " and will help you make progress. :dk:

Had to take 3 relatives to visit my wife's mum in hospital in snowy road conditions

Were they wearing stilettos? Or did they understand that correct 'foot' wear is all important in snow and wear something appropriate to the task?

A couple of years ago I took our then S210 E320 cdi to Scotland. The car had good but normal tyres. It snowed en-route and I stupidly followed a satnav diversion off route.

Ended up on a single track hilly lane. I knew I was in trouble. As it happened the car did really well, until the snow depth was higher than the bumper....

At this point I had to concede defeat and turn around in a farm entrance, which was where I got stuck, having had to choose between brakes or steering. Once freed I then had the joy of going back the way I came, which went well until I came across a JCB clearing the road while I was going uphill. Eventually got going again.

The car did far better in the snow than any auto rear wheel drive had the right to.

385241_4594130846116_862898636_n_zps9d5ccfc2.jpg

321494_4594131166124_103112018_n_zps5622cf50.jpg

Ended up on a single track hilly lane. I knew I was in trouble. As it happened the car did really well, until the snow depth was higher than the bumper....

The snow is barely covering the ground in the pictures!

It's the combination of rear wheel drive and big fat tyres which cause the problem

And modern diesels don't help either IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom