HBC-700 BT handsfree install - W220 - Should be fun!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pinter75

Car
2002 S500
Hi,

On my list of to-dos is adding aftermarket bluetooth handsfree.

In the past I have fitted the Sony Ericcson HBC-700 system and it always works with my phones so that will be the one to go in.

I removed my last one from my old car and stuck it into the Smart Car. Works a treat and is a nice clean install.

So tracked a new one down on Amazon, and it will go into the S500.

I have a few questions.

There are a few components to this, hand control, speaker, control box, mic and LCD screen.

I will run the mic up the A pillar, and think I know how to remove it.

The biggest challenge is routing wires from the LCD and hand control. On the surface the dash looks like there are not may routes to run the wires through!

I can get a switched 12v feed from the fag lighter, & I should be able to find a perm 12v behind the Comand.

I found a yellow "mute" wire on my Comand. I will need this to tap into. Question is what is it doiing there? Were most cars pre-wired for the telephone. Unless mine used to have it (no signs), the mute wire runs off somewhere. But to what?

Got the unit this morning.

t8uu.jpg

92za.jpg

3ir7.jpg

Now just got to figure out a way to fit it, without drilling too many holes!

Ok, all seems fairly straight forward so far.

Removed the Comand, and the center dash vents so i can route the wires.

Good thing this car is big, there is loads of room to run stuff, not like my Smart car!

I decided to de-solder the units, as the plugs would be tricker (don't have a clamp here).

This will mean only small holes, rather than a big gouge to get the plug through.

uoob.jpg

5lvm.jpg

I found a yellow "mute" wire on my Comand. I will need this to tap into. Question is what is it doiing there? Were most cars pre-wired for the telephone. Unless mine used to have it (no signs), the mute wire runs off somewhere. But to what?

The mute input is usually intended for open collector type drive signals. You should be able to tap to the wire and run it in parallel even if it was connected somewhere else already.

The mute input is usually intended for open collector type drive signals. You should be able to tap to the wire and run it in parallel even if it was connected somewhere else already.

Cheers! Will find out when I powerup the system after I have installed it.

For such a big dash finding a place to put the control wheel leaves just one place. Hope I get it right as it needs 3 holes...

Ok so far so good, got the screen in and the control wheel.

95qu.jpg

Grrr holes, but as it will be fitted and left, no problem.

kzut.jpg

LCD in and re-soldered.

9i97.jpg

Control wheel location.

3hnt.jpg

How it is all looking so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom