Head bolts dealer quick fire question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C63wannabe

Car
M3
Hi all had a few low coolant alerts so took the car into mb full warranty so wanted to check it out. They stripped down the engine to check bolts arent snapped can i ask them to replace them for new ones? And do i request new gaskets? How much are the bolts? Cheers

If they replace one bolt with OEM style bolts then the head has to come off.....so by default they will have to replace gaskets.

Only way you can do "one at a time" is if you install ARP studs.....However, I doubt MB would give you that option.

If they replace one bolt with OEM style bolts then the head has to come off.....so by default they will have to replace gaskets.

Only way you can do "one at a time" is if you install ARP studs.....However, I doubt MB would give you that option.

Neither should be replaced 1 at time ,and always new gaskets needed.

Neither should be replaced 1 at time ,and always new gaskets needed.

Got to agree with C36fan on this one. M113K bolts are tightened and removed in snail shell fashion, I imagine M156 would be the same?

C!

Agree it would be strange to change one at a time.....However, plenty have done it (including me) and no problems......

However if it's a warranty job then get the heads odd and probably get the upgraded valve buckets at same time.

Just been told there investigating at the minute and have take the rocker covers off to check bolts ive asked them if that requires new gaskets And they said no think there fobbing me off

Renewing the cylinder head gasket/s using new bolts is going to be very expensive if you are paying for it. There are many reasons why you could be losing coolant radiator leak, defective water pump, thermostat expansion tank cap etc etc most of which will be considerably cheaper than renewing the CHG's and these should be explored first if there is no clear evidence of CHG or bolt failure.

I had the my bolts replaced on my previous M156, whilst the cam tensioners were being replaced under warranty.

It cost me £1200 in 2014,

Last edited:
I'm having mine replaced next month purely as a precautionary measure .
Has anyone found evidence of corrosion once removed ?

I'm having mine replaced next month purely as a precautionary measure .
Has anyone found evidence of corrosion once removed ?

Jimmy (E63) had quite severe corrosion on his.

Mine had some mild corrosion on head of bolt.....I put a thread up when I did mine so pictures etc showing corrosion

A PICCY
325634d1456288047-my-head-bolts-head-bolts.jpg

Hi,

Does anyone know what the cost is to replace the gaskets and bolts using ARP for the bolts?

Cheers,

Milo.

Hi,

Does anyone know what the cost is to replace the gaskets and bolts using ARP for the bolts?

Cheers,

Milo.

The Weistec ARP studs are 1000 dollars so add labour to that.....depends on which way you go either heads completely off or one at a time.

Where abouts are you?

Just been told the dealers pressure tested it and tightened the bolts! Sounds like bs to me there pressure testing it in the morning then there handing it back sounds like incompitant idiots feeding me crap what would u guys do?

Just been told the dealers pressure tested it and tightened the bolts! Sounds like bs to me there pressure testing it in the morning then there handing it back sounds like incompitant idiots feeding me crap what would u guys do?

Would not be accepting that the head bolts have been tightened.
I may be wrong but I was under impression they were a stretch type bolt so basically single use.

To get at the bolts the camshafts have to come out, seems odd they would strip down the engine and "tighten" bolts......did they say some were loose or just "torque checked" them?

Is there another MB dealer nearby?

What year is the car?

Last edited:
Would not be accepting that the head bolts have been tightened.
I may be wrong but I was under impression they were a stretch type bolt so basically single use.

To get at the bolts the camshafts have to come out, seems odd they would strip down the engine and "tighten" bolts......did they say some were loose or just "torque checked" them?

Is there another MB dealer nearby?

What year is the car?
Hi mate there words were tightened and pressure checked hot and cold. I know i said that when i asked them about this they said they were checked and as none were broken there was nothing in warranty terms that they could do so frustrating

The Weistec ARP studs are 1000 dollars so add labour to that.....depends on which way you go either heads completely off or one at a time.

Where abouts are you?

Hi Lee,

I'm in London. How many hours labour would you estimate?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Milo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom