Headlamps - wire wool and t-cut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Does this sound like a reasonable way of getting the "haze" off headlamps? My W211 and the SLK

Ta

Few grades of sandpaper and a cutting polish will do it

Once you've polished them clear with successive grades of cutting polish, don't forget to reseal the surface with a UV-resistant coating. - If you don't, they'll just start fogging up again.

£20 megiuires kit from Halfords, has everything you need. Is it worth DIY and potentially damaging them?

Anyone tried toothpaste?, seen a few vids on YouTube, looks a cheap alternative.

Toothpaste worked great on my mothers Z3. I was all to keen to try it out. :p

Toothpaste is a mild abrasive, so it's just a non-toxic cutting compound really. - Obviously not all toothpastes are equally as abrasive.

£20 megiuires kit from Halfords, has everything you need. Is it worth DIY and potentially damaging them?

used this on the misses head lights take your time but does work a treat, but I do have to do them again lol

Toothpaste is a mild abrasive, so it's just a non-toxic cutting compound really. - Obviously not all toothpastes are equally as abrasive.

Yeah, I tried Colgate Optic, Said they'd get whiter after three weeks. No luck, still a little bit yellow light. But the car has fresh breath now.

I used Brasso and cardboard on me old 210. Because I had it lying around in the garage.

It worked as well.

CHEERS

I have used both the Meguiars and 3M headlight restoration kits and the 3M was streets ahead for results.
The Meg's kit gives you pads to rub down the lens by hand, but the 3M kit needs a drill which gives far better results in minimal time.
As mentioned earlier, you need to seal the lens afterwards with something to stop the UV rays deteriorating the lens surface again.

To answer my own question (for anyone interested), I bought the tcut version. Spent about 45 minutes on each light using elbow grease. They came up pretty good, cant help wondering if toothpaste would have done the same job, looked the same :D

Attachments

• P1050132.jpg
    P1050132.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 21
  • P1050130.jpg
    P1050130.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 22
Toothpaste does a pretty good job, that's true.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it won't seal the surface to prevent further UV degradation of the plastic. - That's really the bit that's worth paying for.

Hello, it will, comes with a sealer

Edit, ah you mean toothpaste, no it wont seal

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom