Heads up Display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OCD BAL

Car
ML63 AMG
Does anyone have a heads up display in their Merc? I'm speccing a new GLC43 AMG Coupe and it's a £600 option .. wondering if it really is useful in real world terms or just a gimmick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had it in a Peugeot hire car...really liked it. I think it's standard on the Pug...

Does anyone have a heads up display in their Merc? I'm speccing a new GLC43 AMG Coupe and it's a £600 option .. wondering if it really is useful in real world terms or just a gimmick?

Richard has it on his GLC. It works well and looks good in my opinion.

I have a couple of those aftermarket head up display things one in the smart and one in the A class. They work well but nothing like factory integration but for £25 what do you expect ;)

I have it. Its a great talking point and works really well.

I think it's pretty useful if you're using it in conjunction with the sat nav as it displays the directions right there in your line of sight as well as the speed etc.

Having said all that, I've got to be brutally honest. I keep it turned off most of the time now!

Thanks for your comments guys..I think I'll go for it

I think it's good value for money and can see myself using it..initially anyway...

Very useful in terms of left/right turn by turn directions and speed limit display in front of you. As I wear varifocals it took me a little while to have my head in the right position to see it in focus :)

I like it .. You *must* have the fully LED lights with high-beam assist - they are stunning and worth every penny.

Cheers

Richard

Just drove 1,000 miles in 3 days through New England (MA, NH, VT) in a BMW 435i equipped with all driver aids and HUD.

The HUD on the BMW is great, it comprises of 3 simple items - speed limit, your speed, and next turn (if navigation is on).

It's very very good, you virtually do not need to take your eyes off the road.

The only caveat is that if you are wearing sunglasses then the display can seem a bit dim, and if you have polarised sunglasses then it is actually becomes very difficult to make out the HUD display....

This was on the BMW - I am assuming the Merc one is similar.

Last edited:
I know MB are asking NSG for larger portions of the screen for use with HUD. - That's probably for models than haven't made it to market yet.

It's a way off, but I believe the ultimate goal is to have all the hazard identification data show on the windscreen, so a car braking suddenly in front would be highlighted in red. - Unfortunately it requires sight tracking to work correctly so that it lines-up with where the driver is looking.

HELP!

Advice needed, recently ordered a c300 cab fully loaded pretty much. A week or so after placing the order dealer tells me HUD won't be available, thought I'd be ok with that. Car due in Septembe. I keep obsessing about this HUD, researching aftermarket options - all quite bulky with wires all over the place - no thanks!

Thing is MB can't tell me when HUD will be available again. I think I still have time to cancel.

Your thoughts please...

Welcome to MBClub. If it's a deal breaker, then break the deal as MB can't siupply what you've ordered. If it's a nice to have, and you want the car in that time frame more than you want HUD, then stick with it and ask the dealer what they would suggest, e.g. defer a month to see if things change, etc.

Good Evening Bobby

Thank you for your very quick reply & your kind welcome!

I did find one company that could fit the MB HUD albeit at a whopping cost of about 5K - that wouldn't make good financial sense. I've never driven a car with HUD but so wanted it on this one. I realise that this is definitely a first world problem & is certainly not a case of life or death. The aftermarket HUD's are becoming increasingly popular with new models being released all the time. I guess I could live without it

Just wish I could just settle down & look forward to my new car instead of spending hours daily researching HUD's. This is only my second brand new car, back in 02 I bought a new Golf gti, all of my other cars including my current car 2012 XKR I bought when they were a couple of years old. Since it is a rare opportunity to have a brand new car again I just wanted everything to be perfect - well, as perfect as things could be

Welcome to MBClub. If it's a deal breaker, then break the deal as MB can't siupply what you've ordered. If it's a nice to have, and you want the car in that time frame more than you want HUD, then stick with it and ask the dealer what they would suggest, e.g. defer a month to see if things change, etc.

Hi Bobby

Just spoken to MB dealer, they still don't have a definite date when HUD will be available. I took your advice and have deferred my build until this feature becomes available again. Down side is that the trade in price for XKR will depreciate, also, the dealer has warned that if/when HUD does reappear I run the risk of another option not being available. I am willing to take that risk

New AMG C63s owner here....

When speccing a new car, HUD was on the top of my list as I got used to having it in previous cars (BMW M4 & 640)

I asked several dealers why most of the available C63's did not have the option as I assumed it would be a must-have option. The general response was that it wasn't a key option but this could be due to supply problems which have been mentioned.

The dashboard display in the C63 (and other Mercedes models I assume) is much better compared to the current BMW version so I ended up with a car with all other toys except HUD.

So far I am not regretting my choice:bannana:

Hi Bobby

Just spoken to MB dealer, they still don't have a definite date when HUD will be available. I took your advice and have deferred my build until this feature becomes available again. Down side is that the trade in price for XKR will depreciate, also, the dealer has warned that if/when HUD does reappear I run the risk of another option not being available. I am willing to take that risk

I think the dealer was trying to 'scare' you into placing the order now rather than waiting. Id wait too if it were me.

Just drove 1,000 miles in 3 days through New England (MA, NH, VT) in a BMW 435i equipped with all driver aids and HUD.

The HUD on the BMW is great, it comprises of 3 simple items - speed limit, your speed, and next turn (if navigation is on).

It's very very good, you virtually do not need to take your eyes off the road.

The only caveat is that if you are wearing sunglasses then the display can seem a bit dim, and if you have polarised sunglasses then it is actually becomes very difficult to make out the HUD display....

This was on the BMW - I am assuming the Merc one is similar.

That's what it looks like on the BMW:

HUD.jpg

(The gravel road by the way is what you get when trying to be clever and setting the SatNav to 'shortest route'...)

I think the dealer was trying to 'scare' you into placing the order now rather than waiting. Id wait too if it were me.

Yeah, sounded like it a little. In my experience I find car sales reps a slippery bunch to be begin anyway. Also, pretty sure my dealer must of known about the HUD issue when I placed my order at the end of June but broke the news to me about a week later :fail

Looks like it'll be a while before I get my new car :wallbash:

Looks like there is still a problem or it's a new problem with HUD, I am ready to place an order for an E400 Coupe and at the last minute they tell me i can't have the 20" wheels I want or the HUD.. How can they run out of things like that for so long? I'm not ordering my car until it's available and if it doesn't become available soon then I'll be forced to change my order to a 540 which I don't want to do.. :fail

I know this is an old post, but I have seen posts elsewhere about retrofit options for HUD on recent MB models so thought I'd share my findings.
The way MB allow new car config in UK now is highly frustrating, no doubt to simply imports - well, for a GLE anyway I haven't checked other vehicles.

Gone are the options list of items, it's now a very limited set of packages. Those packages are not constant across the range and for me that meant if I wanted HUD on my vehicle, I had to have the Coupe version and Premium Plus. My 350 DE V167 is Premium Plus but no HUD and no dealer fit option.

Otherwise the cars seem identical, there aren't major price points based on different features .. odd. I can't see the different body panels making such a difference.

The good news is that you can get an OEM part for the HUD control unit itself (validated on my VIN), and it does not need special glass. I know there is a Dashboard top cover part also needed (to allow for the appropriate aperture in the otherwise enclosed meshed area), which is around $120. I am looking to find out if any other parts are needed, but the good news is it can be done!

I'll be getting this sorted in Sept when my car arrives, will update for anyone who might be wanting to the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom