Heard the rumour Merc wants to buy Aston and divorce McLaren?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting proposition, but surely the SL sits well and truly in the way? A direct competitor? The proposed 4 door Aston Rapide - CL/S Class competitor? And what of McLaren Mercedes F1? Mercedes Motorsport only in the future? I'd be surprised if it ever happened.

methinks ron will soon be looking for another engine supplier soon

let us see if lewis wil hang around when they are supplied by kia or hyundai

methinks ron will soon be looking for another engine supplier soon

let us see if lewis wil hang around when they are supplied by kia or hyundai

:D Yes, "Lewis, the GL is going back - here are the keys to your contractually binding Kia Sportage.....come on...smile for the cameras"..:crazy:

Now let me see......

Aston owned by Dave Richards (Prodrive).

Prodrive can't enter F1 unless it manufactures its own f1 cars.

Mercedes don't have a name in the Aston car bracket, unlike VW. or Ferrari etc.

Doesn't seem too bad an idea. McLaren were expecting to use the SLR area of Woking to build and refurbish the Prodrive teams cars anyway.

It could work out for all. It might also be a quick way to get hold of the heated windscreen!!

Technology raider??

It could work out for all. It might also be a quick way to get hold of the heated windscreen!!

You put it in nutshell. Mercedes will only buy Aston Martin if they have technology that Mercedes wants--I'm thinking metal composite technology for lighter stronger mass produced cars. The FI composite technology used in the Mclaren SLR is far too labour intensive to be of use in a production line system. Bearing in mind that socio-economic political pressures are towards smaller more economic cars its a brave (perhaps foolhardy) company indeed that buys a line of cars whose fuel figures are the teens rather than the twenties!
On a more patriotic note I doubt the Aston name would survive any merger in the long term.:(

The Aston Martin brand is worth more than any technology it may own. Scumbag got it right, VW own Bentley, BMW own Rolls Royce, that only leaves one major German car manufacturer who don't have a British prestige marque in their stable.

One mustn't underestimate the halo effect either. Mercedes have arguably devalued their brand somewhat with their extensive model range. Just as VW Phaetons sell on the 'affordable Bentley' premise, so Mercedes-Benz's top end sports products could gain kudos from the 'same stable as Aston Martin' effect.

For the last 35 years or so I've always thought of Astons as expensive, if sometimes pretty, junk.

I used to see ultra low mileage V8s with ENORMOUS repair bills & histories. Seemed to be every time one went for a drive it cost about 2 grand in servicing & repairs.

I suspect they're not much better now.

For the last 35 years or so I've always thought of Astons as expensive, if sometimes pretty, junk.

I used to see ultra low mileage V8s with ENORMOUS repair bills & histories. Seemed to be every time one went for a drive it cost about 2 grand in servicing & repairs.

I suspect they're not much better now.

I think you perfectly described the situation when Victor Gauntlett owned Aston Martin and everything was hand made in Newport Pagnell.

I believe they are a lot better since they moved production from Newport Pagnell to the ultra modern new factory at Gaydon in 2003. I have a friend who sells them. Now of course he is going to tell me that they are good, but he did say that warranty claims on the newer models have been far lower than they were before.

Smells like BMW =buying rover to get at land rover technology As soon as the X5 came out, rover was binned

I couldn't get past the spelling.

A strong rumour, yes rumour, going around is that Mercedes-Benz is working on a plan to cease control of Aston Martin.

How can anyone take this level of journalism seriously?

Last edited:
I think you perfectly described the situation when Victor Gauntlett owned Aston Martin and everything was hand made in Newport Pagnell.

I believe they are a lot better since they moved production from Newport Pagnell to the ultra modern new factory at Gaydon in 2003. I have a friend who sells them. Now of course he is going to tell me that they are good, but he did say that warranty claims on the newer models have been far lower than they were before.

Aston Martin V8 Coupe Serie II 1972 excellent condition
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aston-Martin-...condition_W0QQitemZ350050073659QQcmdZViewItem

2 owners, 54,000 miles.

"it is in excellent condition because it is over 52000 pound documentet investet in the restoration"

"last serviced in 2006 at cost of 7600 pound ( bill available on request)"

Yikes!!!!

Smells like BMW =buying rover to get at land rover technology As soon as the X5 came out, rover was binned

I really don't think there is any technology worth acquiring at Aston Martin, if anything it would be the other way around, such a deal would give Aston Martin acees to superior technology.

As I said before, the attraction of AM to MB would be the halo effect of the brand, nothing more.

How about Ford?

Ford Motor Company still have a 15% stake in the company and I'm guessing that they didn't hold back 15% only to sell it a year later.

I think people are missing one important point - local pollution in cities.

Stop start, my 270cdi will see 20mpg or lower, I'd expect to see 15 or lower in an E500. my friend's GS450h runs 30+mpg in the same situation, in fact like most hybrids it uses less fuel in town (regen braking means some of the energy used to accelerate is recaptured when you brake, and reused when you accelerate again).

Idling, our Mercedes, regardless of engine do 0mpg. The hybrids at standstill use no fuel unless the battery is discharged.

Though I hate the interior of the GS, if my pattern of driving was more town and less motorway it would have been my weapon of choice (out of my budget though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom