Height Issues on Channel Tunnel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheBeast

Car
Mercedes X166 GL350 BRABUS
Dear All,

Normally a frequent user of the Channel Tunnel, I have been put off since I bought my new 2013 Model GL. The listed Vehicle height is 1.85m, however the height restriction at the tunnel entrances (marked with a 3x3inch post) is 1.85m too.

Has anyone used the channel crossing in a new shape GL or similar?

Used to do it regular in the Discovery they just put you on a single deck carriage if you are 1.85m or above

Why are you put off when actually they can accommodate you in a single deck carriage ?

Last edited:
Yes, I understood this, but travelling with 4 young kids, I prefer to use the Flexi-pass lounge. The entrance to this (just after Passport control) is 1.85m.

Of course I'd need to board on a single deck carriage as the X166 GL is also 2.12m wide (Passenger carriage has 2m width restriction).

travel every month with a range rover on flexi tell them there more than happy to help happy travels enjoy

I go routinely with the Voyager + Roof box (on a carnet ticket) without any issues. They're more than happy to help...

Ok, so the answer is :-

image-4159429063.jpg

But only just!

According to one of the staff; a new range rover came thru the week before not realising the sunroof was tilted open the lady driver was covered in safety glass.
Looks like the 1.85m limit only has a small margin for error.

Did that antenna fit through without touching?

Out of curiosity, why not just go through the full height lane?

First time I went on the tunnel, I paid for standard height car and just drove down the lane for high cars anyway (just a mistake). They said nothing.

Been through the sewer loads of times in the various Vianos over the years and always went down the high roof slot - usually less vehicles...just bigger ones. Certainly no slower or expensive either & they seem to load quicker.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

single deck trains are good for Porsches :)

4Sean_F_zpsb6a5214f.jpg

Ooh, are the single deck ones wider too?

I clipped an alloy and whacked a mirror on a toilet door taking the BMW across (I plead not used to LHD), there looks to be much more room there.

S

Ooh, are the single deck ones wider too?

I clipped an alloy and whacked a mirror on a toilet door taking the BMW across (I plead not used to LHD), there looks to be much more room there.

S

The metal kerbs are further apart, and no silly (toilet) chicanes, making it much easier if you have a wide track and very low profile tyres.

First time I went on the tunnel, I paid for standard height car and just drove down the lane for high cars anyway (just a mistake). They said nothing.

There is no price difference between the single and double deck trains (for cars at least).

It's purely a scheduling thing, i.e. they can carry x cars at 10pm on the single deck and y on the double deck. Sometimes, if a particular time has no slots available, look at the other "version" and you may find space...

M.

There is no price difference between the single and double deck trains (for cars at least).

It's purely a scheduling thing, i.e. they can carry x cars at 10pm on the single deck and y on the double deck. Sometimes, if a particular time has no slots available, look at the other "version" and you may find space...

M.

Good info.... I just assumed. Thought it was a bit easy.

Well Spinal,

1) Just because I wanted to know, I knew it would be tight but not that tight.
2) If the ariel touched I didn't realise inside the car. The drivers door wouldn't open by that point as there is a high-curb to keep you aligned. Lucky to say there was no damage.
3) No reason why I couldn't just use the High Vehicle lane, except as those who use the Flexi-Pass will know, you must clear the barrier to use the Flexi-pass lounge & facilities. With 4 kids this is a very valuable service. & it gets you priority boarding without lane queuing.

Got the caravan booked on next again weekend. At 2.55m does this mean we'll be in the extra height car? For some reason I expected to be put in an open lattice freight carriage. :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom