HELP: 2014 E63S Brake Caliper Lacquer Peel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sverige Fart

Car
2014 E63S Wagon
Gents,

I have a 6 week old (to me) E63S Wagon which I have been enjoying.

A week or two ago I spotted some lacquer peel on the nearside front performance calipers (red ones), thought "oh bugger, I'll get that relacquered ASAP".

Just been out to check on it and the other to find that the offside caliper has almost no lacquer left on it and the nearside if half worn. The rears are starting to go too!

Having owned a C63 with performance pack which never had the issue and also being fastidious with hand washing my own cars with an unhealthy level of detail, I am shocked to see the condition of these calipers on a three-year-old 30k mile car.

Has anyone experienced this themselves? What are thoughts on rectifying and do I have any recourse with Merc (fully warrantied and approved used etc.).

Thanks chaps

Personally I'd head back to the dealer you bought it from and quietly ask the salesman if he can get it sorted for you.

Yeah, here's hoping Phil. Pretty gutted, it looks awful! Like I've bodged them myself with Halfords paint.

The selling dealer will have to sort it out for you no questions asked.

good luck

Nothing personal against the OP but worrying over the lacquer coming off brake calipers while dozens have died in a tower fire, kinda makes one think what a weird world we live in....................

Why don't you quietly pop round to the MD's and tell them to redo them.....

Nothing personal against the OP but worrying over the lacquer coming off brake calipers while dozens have died in a tower fire, kinda makes one think what a weird world we live in....................

Why don't you quietly pop round to the MD's and tell them to redo them.....

Thanks, I'll quietly do that then.

Be sure to check news reports for any other tragedies which may have occurred globally and apologise for existing in the first instance :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Golden.

I thought this was a car forum ?

ahh well.....

zoros said:
Nothing personal against the OP but worrying over the lacquer coming off brake calipers while dozens have died in a tower fire, kinda makes one think what a weird world we live in.................... Why don't you quietly pop round to the MD's and tell them to redo them.....

What herbs you smoking dude ?

Alot of the c63 do it so no surprise on the e63, dealer wont do nothing just get them painted. I did mine candy yellow.

2AA56214-3831-4483-8327-B3B44469B64D_zpsdxmfnwdi.jpg

1FFFE56C-4BB4-48D5-8970-A5AFA0CFFD4A_zpswd9k8jea.jpg

97A03694-DB03-4854-8989-8ABDF091FB8C_zps5ofngl72.jpg

Definitely worth a firm but cordial approach to the dealer.

Mine is also 2014 and c30K miles, with no issue.

I expect they will blame it on the unknowns of previous owner cleaning/treatments, but worth a try.

Zoros - you could be leading with the chin a bit there - I'm truly shocked and saddened by the London fire, but still managed to deal with something important to me (but trivial to others) today...

Last edited:
Thanks, folks. I have raised it with the dealer and they are going to have a look along with something else that needs addressing.

Will update you when I have their opinion.

Mine have also done this, 2014 car thats just clocked 32k but they were peeling upon purchase 8k miles ago.
Getting new bigger callipers/discs anyway so screw it.

Had the same on my E63S on one of the front calipers. A large section of lacquer had flaked off leaving the exposed part a sort of dull pink. I took the car to a MB dealer who told me it would be over £1000 to replace as it was cosmetic and the warranty doesn't cover wear and tear.
I did a Google search and found the answer on a Porsche forum. Just have it sprayed with a clear, heat proof lacquer. I didn't have the confidence to do it myself so got the bloke who detailed my car to do it. The difference was amazing. The caliper looked as good as new. The dull pink was a lustrous red again and I couldn't tell any difference from the other calipers.
Hope this helps.

Had the same on my E63S on one of the front calipers. A large section of lacquer had flaked off leaving the exposed part a sort of dull pink. I took the car to a MB dealer who told me it would be over £1000 to replace as it was cosmetic and the warranty doesn't cover wear and tear.

Mine have also done this, 2014 car thats just clocked 32k but they were peeling upon purchase 8k miles ago.
Getting new bigger callipers/discs anyway so screw it.

Bugger - that's 3 out of 4 :crazy:

hahaha

Yeah seems a common fault, tbh its just the norm really, i mean they are always painted quickly and often go through 100's of heat cycles of varying temps.
Eventually the laquer gets brittle and will flake off when washed.

I'll be removing my callipers and having them re-done in yellow to go with some new bronze wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom