Help - cannot remove ignition key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

firstmercedes

Car
C220 Sport Cdi Auto blue efficiency W204
Just returned from from quick supermarket shop and ignition key will not come out. It seems that on the final turn prior to pulling key out, it feels slightly 'sloppy' and not reaching a final click position.
Today is Sunday so will return to garage tomorrow but if key is still in ignition can I a) lock the door with spare without alarm going off and b) will this drain my battery?

Thank you so much. Just checked and for some reason had not left in 'park'. Massive thanks as had been sat in car for 15 minutes trying to figure this.

You are not alone, I had a bit of a panic when I tried to remove the key when I first got my C Class, I was desperate to go to the loo as well, but sussed it before an accident!!

I had this years ago with my Saab Aero. Key wouldn't come out. Tried to prise it out but it still wouldn't budge. I was on the verge of whacking it with my fist when I noticed the vehicle was still in Drive.

Embarrassing or what.

I had this years ago with my Saab Aero. Key wouldn't come out. Tried to prise it out but it still wouldn't budge. I was on the verge of whacking it with my fist when I noticed the vehicle was still in Drive.

Embarrassing or what.

On the SAAB manual you had to put it in reverse to get the keys out....

I've done the same in my W124 E320 coupe. Never since...

Thanks guys, I feel very slightly less stupid. But have to say the power of the internet never ceases to amaze. Need help, so post the problem here and literally within a couple of minutes I have the answer :)

My wife's car stated to roll away when I forgot to put it Park and got out to pick something up.

Mitsubishi Pajero's need your foot on the brake, to allow you to turn the ignition on, or to remove the key and to put it in gear (or out of gear). The Pajero forum has a healthy quota of new owners who are "stuck" in a variety of locations having forgotten this. The inhibitor switch is manufactured by the Fintstones using a bike brake cable from the ignition to the gear selector with an electric feed from the brake switch.

Another favorite being cars we are not used too, having obscure petrol flap release switches. Designed by the people who move food around supermarket shelves, the bread is with the house paint and the milk is with the toilet cleaner etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom