Help need a new windscreen!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

P30egy

Car
E63 AMG
As the title I need a new windscreen for my 2010 E63. The screen was cracked from a stone flying up on the motorway. I went to claim through my insurance hastings direct, who seem to have lowered my cover to essential on my last renewal. Which they can't explain why but anyway can anybody recommend a good company I'm located near chesterfield. Thanks

autoglass.jpg

Autoglass is the country's leading windscreen company by a country mile - they sell two thirds of the aftermarket auto glass in the UK. Have a careful conversation with them, making clear that you're picking up the cost, and get them to quote in advance before authorising the work. That said, you'll struggle to find a better company to do the job (although plenty of people will tell stories of occasional difficulties).

After it's done, check out what else is going on in your insurance terms, unless you've got a poor insurance record, other firms may offer a better deal than Hastings.

I'd look for an independent installer over someone like Autoglass. - When I paid for a new screen for the Nisan Autoglass would have been twice the price of the company I used (Phoenix Windscreens I think); that's fine if insurance is paying, but not if you are.

I should add that there's nothing wrong with the work of Autoglass, they did a good job with the screen on my Hyundai and even went away and came back with a different one to ensure the correct fit. - They're just expensive.

Negotiate......

I should have made this point more firmly: please ask for a discount. And when they offer 5% tell them that you are looking for something lower. I'm constantly amazed by friends who say that they just accept whatever price is put to them - for insurance, maintenance, tyres, whatever. Just ask for a discount, choose the best supplier but then ask him to match someone cheaper.

First thing to do is price up the glass with the main dealer it might not be as bad as you think.
If its cheap enough find a local fitter and get a price for fitting.
I did this with my Skoda a few years ago and got a genuine Skoda glass fitted for under £300.
also give Bee windscreens a try they are a Sheffield company.

First thing to do is price up the glass with the main dealer it might not be as bad as you think.
If its cheap enough find a local fitter and get a price for fitting.
I did this with my Skoda a few years ago and got a genuine Skoda glass fitted for under £300.
also give Bee windscreens a try they are a Sheffield company.

With most comprehensive insurance policies it should only cost your windscreen excess of around £75

With most comprehensive insurance policies it should only cost your windscreen excess of around £75

I am assuming the op has no glass cover. My example was for a company car an our excess is £500. Autoglass wanted to charge the insurance company over £600. a genuine screen was under £200.

Do windscreen claims affect NCB?

Need a new screen in ours. OE glass is currently on back order apparently.. :(

I've had a few changed over the last couple of years and from most the companies it seems to be a case of you don't lose any NCB, but you don't earn any for that year.

I've just got a quote for glass only from Mercedes £340+vat.

Well I would be onto Hastings,demanding to know why they have downgraded your car insurance,you renewed your policy,so it should have been the same as last time,of if not they should have told you that in order that your costs remained the same then windscreen cover would be excluded,in the meantime look for a independent glass fitters they may well be cheaper than Autoglass and others.

Well I would be onto Hastings,demanding to know why they have downgraded your car insurance,you renewed your policy,so it should have been the same as last time,of if not they should have told you that in order that your costs remained the same then windscreen cover would be excluded,in the meantime look for a independent glass fitters they may well be cheaper than Autoglass and others.
Tried this and got nowhere, basically they didn’t want to know and kept fobbing me off. I’m booked in with Autoglass £405
They also wanted £300 to recalibrate a camera. Which I declined for now. Absolute rip off

^ Safe to say that even if Hastings are the cheapest next renewal they won't get your business.
Shocking practice to downgrade your cover without informing you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom