Help needed with the wording of a petition

Do not vote yet

• Do not vote yet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do not vote yet

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A

Ashley

I need help with the wording of a online petition I am setting up, I also post on a few LVA type forums and peers have been no help what so ever, by 2008 they will all be saying I wish I had done something, it really is starting to upset me know.

Anyway

I have a script working (I hope) for the online petition against the smoking ban. A the moment the petition reads along the line of the underlined below. Any one who can think of a better phase please share your opinion.

We the undersigned demand the immediate abandonment of the plans to Ban Smoking in licensed Premises in all it forms.

or

We the undersigned demand the immediate abandonment of the plans to Ban Smoking in licensed Premises as it is unworkable, will cost jobs and remove peoples freedom to enjoy thier leisure time in a legal manner.

It will also have inculde something like this.

Important: In a moment, an email will be sent to the address you've provided. To finish signing this petition, you must follow the instructions in that email. (This verifies your identity, boosting this petition's credibility. Thanks!)
Note: All information you enter - plus the date and your IP address - will be delivered to the petition recipient as your electronic signature.

Either reply here or send me an email [email protected]

I also have to buy a domain name for it any ideas on the name.

Perhaps a poll to see what support you get. I could be on my own but cannot wait to the day I can go for a drink and come home without my clothes stinking of fags.

Been talking to a few smokers lately and they are even in favour of it :confused: Most I spoke to see it as a reason to try and quit.

Just out of interest why would you want the ban not to go ahead?

Shaun - you're not alone at all - i find it just as anti-social and intrusive as if i was to stand in the middle of a pub shouting obscenities.

However, I can see why Zooman would have an objection given he's in the trade. He has a business to protect. Personally I think it may well increase trade but I think I am in the minority here (and having never smoked, the uneducated minority at that)

Poll would be interesting though

It is not going to be a poll but a petition so pople who do not support it not sign it.

This law will see pubs close in the masses. People out of work.

Unfortunately most people do not go to pubs nowadays and the vast majority of people who go to the pub regularly that smoke will simply get cans from Asda and stay at home. And within the pub envioment it is more then 6/10 customers whom smoke (that was proven with out a doubt around 2 years ago).

If the ban goes through and becomes law it will close thousands of pubs, regardless of whether you are a smoker or not it if you care about pubs Fight the Ban or there will be very few pubs left.

SETTING THE STANDARD IN NON-SMOKING CONVERSIONS

Wetherspoon pubs across the UK have been recognised for their non-smoking policy – by winning a host of awards.

At present, the company has 47 pubs which are completely non-smoking.

All new Wetherspoon pubs will be non-smoking and there are plans to convert existing pubs into non-smoking outlets during 2006 and beyond.

Several pubs have won National Clean Air Awards, organised by the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation, which aim to promote smoke-free environments.

To date the following Wetherspoon pubs have received awards:

• The Brass Balance, Birkenhead
• The Job Bulman, Gosforth
• The Plimsoll Line, Redcar
• The Welkin, Liverpool

Wetherspoon’s operations director (north), Martin Geoghegan, said: “Both customers and staff alike have welcomed our non-smoking pubs, and it is pleasing that our policy has been endorsed through the National Clean Air Awards.”

I rember when the proposal was first announced They were saying the same as yourself. They have now gone a complete U turn and are leading the way.

Regardless of my views though with big players like this supporting it you will have a very very hard battle to change the governments opinion.

No - i meant a poll on this site to see what our general concensus was (think that's what Shaun meant too) - i.e. in addition to your petition.

Do you really think it will make that much of a difference? There must be some compensating factor from non-smokers going more (I know I go to our local less as you cannot avoid smoke despite n/s areas) - and is the general view really that smokers will stop going completely if they cannot have a fag (hope no Americans reading) in the pub?

And believe me, I definitely support pubs! Only place to get real beer (and that's becoming a rarity)

On a personal point we do not allow smoking at our bars (on the tiles) in the restaurant and in the snug I signed up to the Smoking Charter 4 years ago.

But here a question will my neighbors be happy with people stood outside smoking at all hours (and do not forget I can have live music on now to 0130).

Or I have two 70 years olds who come in for a few pints every night at 2200 and stay until around 0030, they both get walked to the pub by thier neighbor and my night porter always walks them home (they only live 5 mins away) both these gents smoke, am I to force these chaps to stand outside to enjoy their cigarette. Or the police tells women never to leave there drinks untended (date rape) now if these girls smoke they have to leave the drinks inside (in the town we are it is illealge to drink on the streets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add I have often walked straight back out of a pub because of how smokey it has been.

SG CL500 said:
No - i meant a poll on this site to see what our general concensus was (think that's what Shaun meant too) - i.e. in addition to your petition.

Would be a good idea. Can you start a poll Zooman?

Wetherspoon abandoned the non smoking pub idea, I do not expect you to take my word on it, I will find a link. There is room for non smoking pubs but not all of them. Trade falls like those experienced in Canada will close thousands of English pubs and put thousands of barstaff on the dole. Ireland outside of Dublin has not fared much better.

Really unless you have witnessed blanket smoking bans in action and or have operated a hospitality venue in that type of climate, you are truly ignorant in repect to exactly how much damage that government imposed smoking bans can and will have on many hospitality businesses in the U.K.
The North American smoking ban example is lauded falsely as an unqualified,
"success story."

Some facts for you:
1. Fact: Government imposed smoking bans are very bad for many hospitality industry establishments.

2.Fact: There is no such thing as a level playing field within the private hospitality sector.
Not all hospitality businesses are created equally in the first place and there is no way in hell, that a blanket smoking ban will ever put all hospitality venues on equal footing.

3. Fact: The anti-smoking lobby will do or say anything anything, no matter how untruthful as long as it supports government mandated smoking bans.

4. Fact: The anti-smoking lobby do not care if any or how many hospitality industry venues suffers or are forced into bankruptcy due to government imposed smoking bans.

4. Fact: Mythical hordes of non-smokers do not suddenly rush out to support hospitality businesses which are forced to become smoke-free by government imposed smoking bans.

5. Many hospitality industry business owners and the trade's workers greatly underestimate how huge that negative financial impacts that forced smoking bans can be.Once the bans become a reality the panic and suffering is very real and wide-spead.

When Ireland went no smoking the world looked on. Now a few years latter with New York more then likely to go back to smoking, Canadas trade is a real mess and Ireland just look into it your self

I have set it up for a poll (I think it may have a time limit on making a poll) now what should the questions be?

zooman said:
Wetherspoon abandoned the non smoking pub idea, I do not expect you to take my word on it, I will find a link. There is room for non smoking pubs but not all of them.

That was a direct quote from there website. I have also been frequenting my local weatherspoons substantially ( :eek: lol) over the festive period and got chatty to the staff. I asked why a huge marquee (spelling) was being put up in the beer garden.

The reply "Its for the smokers. The plan is to make it a non smoking pub by summer this year".

zooman said:
I have set it up for a poll (I think it may have a time limit on making a poll) now what should the questions be?

Smoking ban in all pubs!

For

Against

Dont Care

I have made the poll on a new thread (where the debate can continue)which will hopefully leave this thread for someone to help me as in post #1

zooman said:
This law will see pubs close in the masses. People out of work.

in the same way as the pro hunt lobby told us that thousands of foxhounds would have to be slaughtered and that whole country communities would collapse if the hunting ban was made law.

As an ex smoker I have no problem with the ban being made law and as for the wholesale pub closures I don't see it.

One of the busiest pubs in our town - non smoking

One of the busiest pubs in Hastings - non smoking

One of the busiest town centre pubs in Eastbourne - non smoking

Most restaurants, cinemas, shopping centres etc are now non smoking and they are still busy why should pubs be any different?

Like the others, when I can come back from the pub without my clothes stinking of smoke I and many others will return to regularly drinking at the local.

Smokers are now very much a minority why should they dictate the way the law is written?

Sorry, no support from me either

Andy

zooman said:
I also have to buy a domain name for it any ideas on the name.

stopthesmokingban.org
stopthesmokingban.co.uk
stopthesmokingban.com

Thmsshaun said:
stopthesmokingban.org
stopthesmokingban.co.uk
stopthesmokingban.com

I was thinking along those grounds but I also think a small one word url would work better (it's just I can not think of one).

While I thought I had the scrpit working but I can not get it to record the I.P address.

I hate computers.

I have brought www.stopthesmokingban.com if I come up with something better I will get that as well. Still can not get it to record the IP I have put a 301 up until I figure it out.

wording of the petition

how about and I now its long winded

you bloody lefty labour spoilsports Churchill was a smoker and dam proud of it,it was his signature don't tell us what to do,you the government promoted smoking to our boys who fought in both wars, fed them woodbine and alike and FAGS are still included today are you going to ban smoking after a night in Iraqi ,are you going to tell a old soldier or evan a young one he can't smoke in public. you took the tax for fags and made a stonking great profits ....you the government have had gentlemen's clubs for years with round the clock drinking and smoking , so get off our backs ...and get that fat 2 jags Prescott to pay his bills,and keep paedophiles out of our schools and leave us honest folk alone .smoking and non-smoking rooms .will do..if someone asked me to put out my cig while they had there meal no problem......................its amazing what 4 cans of fosters and

Bach...Air on the g-string....

Bach..Violin Concerto

Mozart...flute concerto in g minor-2nd movement

CAN DO :)

Last edited:
I may have to drop the part about fosters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom