Help: Non- GLC Tyre Skipping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanRJones

Car
Mercedes GLA 45AMG
Having spoken with AMG technical, they are going to carry out a technical inspection of my GLA45<AMG next week due to it experiencing the same tyre crabbing issues as GLC owners.

I would really appreciate inputs via this forum from any 'non GLC owners' who are experiencing tyre crabbing. This will assist me in my post inspection discussions with the AMG technical team and hopefully assist others down the line.

During initial discussions, they stated that they are only aware of such issues with GLC owners, not any other MB model.

Thanks in appreciation.

Last edited:
I seem to be getting this crabbing with mine, a 2016 C63 saloon - awaiting booking confirmation with dealer to investigate

I commend you to read Mactech's post here, and in particular these four sentences:
At the front of the car, Ackerman geometry allows the front wheels to travel in 2 different radius and minimises tyre scrub.
What it can't do is compensate for the different radius from the inside to the outside of the tyre. As tyres get wider, profiles get lower, tyre construction gets stiffer, low temps make the construction stiffer then the problems get worse. All the transmission components are wound up until the tyre has to break traction.

My C350e does it. Two wheel drive. Cold weather and front tyres worn below half. I spoke to a chap who has run all sorts of Mercedes over the years and he says all his have done it to a greater or lesser extent. The bigger the wheel and the lower profile tyre the worse it is.

My C Class does it on the 19 inch wheels when the temperature drops, I'm on my 17 inch winter wheels now and the problems gone away. It's the tyres!

My C Class does it on the 19 inch wheels when the temperature drops, I'm on my 17 inch winter wheels now and the problems gone away. It's the tyres!

You’re probably right. I took my new E63s back to the dealer, and tell me to change the tyres. I spent a lot of money buying this car, now I’ve got to spend another few grand on different wheels and tyres. Great!

My ML63 does it, having googled it, most if not all cars with cold tyres seem to do it.

I owned a gla 45 and it hopped, skipped and jumped more than Jonathan Edwards did on his way to winning gold. it is normal for that car to actually hop on its front wheels like a little bunny... those conti 5p tyres love to do a little jig.

completely normal and nothing to worry about. once the tyres warm up then you're absolutely fine. lovely car , the gla 45. OP, Ian, which model year is yours and does it have a spoiler ?

The drive train and 4wd systems on the A class and GLC are totally different designs due the fact in the A class the engine gearbox is transverse and in the C class/GLC its inline and thus they implement 4wd by different systems. That's not to say you are not experiencing problems but they will be different in origin in the two cars.

The drive train and 4wd systems on the A class and GLC are totally different designs due the fact in the A class the engine gearbox is transverse and in the C class/GLC its inline and thus they implement 4wd by different systems. That's not to say you are not experiencing problems but they will be different in origin in the two cars.

My 2018 e-class all terrain did it from new but after after a few visits to the dealer all tyres were replaced foc with a different tyre and the problem seems to have been resolved. The dealer was on my side and deemed the original situation unacceptable. Should anyone be interested, I can find the two types of tyre when I get back home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom