help please aftermarket stereo slk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim tabor

Car
slk 200
Guys i am pulling my hair out! I have fitted a dd aftermarket stereo in my car replacing the standard audio 20 unit. I have the connect 2 harness with adapter for steering wheel controls,my problem is where the hell do i connect the wires that say key 1 and key 2 the instructions with the unit are useless,any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

I expect that these two wire need to connect to the CAN wires that feed into the large connector. there are two wires, one is brown, the other brown with a stripe (Grey, I think?)
It's "PROBABLY" this - but it's a guess based on the data you've provided ;)

thanks for the replies, sorry cant put up photo of instructions, the patch lead has 3 wires black (gnd) brown (key 1) and white (key 3) the instructions are in black and white and just show the brown to ignition and white to permanent I think its just trying to figure out which are these two wires on the harness, I think you may be right halcyon days it seems the most logical. brown to brown and probably white to brown/grey? thanks again for your help

If the instructions say that they go to perm+ and ign+ then these are NOT supposed to connect to the CAM-BUS.
I take it these are wire for the little box that interoperates the steering-wheel controls, rather than the actual head-unit?

The next issue you'll have (if the SLK is the same as other MBs) is that there isn't an IGN+ feed for the stereo...
You'll have to get a feed from the cig lighter, which is fun..

what connector leads did you get?

If the instructions say that they go to perm+ and ign+ then these are NOT supposed to connect to the CAM-BUS.
I take it these are wire for the little box that interoperates the steering-wheel controls, rather than the actual head-unit?

The next issue you'll have (if the SLK is the same as other MBs) is that there isn't an IGN+ feed for the stereo...
You'll have to get a feed from the cig lighter, which is fun..

what connector leads did you get?
Hi thanks for the reply, i may be sounding a bit thick here but i assumed this would be straight forward but it seems not lol. The connect 2 harness came with a small box that has the 3 wires coming from it i connected ground and permanent and yes your right i couldnt find ignition, daft question but how does the audio 20 work from ignition coz tbis worked fine turning ignition on. My car has no cig lighter it has the 12v output in the bulkhead on passenger side. Think i may give up and get it installed by a professional.
Thanks for your help
Jim

The command get's it's "on & off" signal through the cam-bus - which is why you can turn it on without the ignition etc.

All you need to do is find a ignition switched 12v supply (all!!) the cig lighter is right under the stereo in the CLK so an easy fix.

Anyone know of an easy 12v IGN+ to splice into on a SLK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom