HELP please E55 AMG compressor squeal !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rattler

Hi everybody I hope you can be of help, I have been informed that my used approved 03 Mercedes E55 AMG may be suffering from compressor squeal.

I picked this car up from a Mercedes dealer about a weak ago with the 12 months warranty they supplied, during the next couple of days I heard on numerous occasions a squeal on modest revs when pulling away. The dealership have informed me that there is an aknowledged compressor squeal by Daimler/Chrysler but it is not warranty covered.

Has anybody had any experience of said squeal, and if so did they get the same company line from the dealer.

Many thanks,

John.......

I picked this car up from a Mercedes dealer about a weak ago with the 12 months warranty they supplied, during the next couple of days I heard on numerous occasions a squeal on modest revs when pulling away. The dealership have informed me that there is an aknowledged compressor squeal by Daimler/Chrysler but it is not warranty covered.
I'm surprised they've said that. If you've only had the car a week it's reasonable to assume that the fault existed before you purchased the car, and therefore whether it's covered by the warranty or not they should fix it, or accept it back from you in exchange for a full refund.

PS Not heard of this before if it's the Supercharger unit itself - unless it's just a belt.

I've heard of this being a known issue with SL55s - the momentary squeal being from the Kompressor clutch as it engages. As I recall, it's "just" an irritating noise rather than anything actually being wrong/broken/worn/etc. ... a bit like squeaking brakes.

It will be wearing the clutch faces but there may not be much to be done about it as it may be a design characteristic.

Thanks for your comments, yes it is the supercharger squeal/chirp that the dealer is alluding to but they have had the car for 2 days and cannot definitively say it is the supercharger. When I asked to speak to someone from the service department both yesterday and today on both occasions the receptionist replied there was nobody with knowledge of my vehicle available. A senior member of the management then fielded my call and down the phone read me for all intense and purposes a disclaimer stating this problem would not be rectified by MB.

Now I should imagine that when the vehicle was purchased in 03 for the best part of £70K it didn't have the squeal, and when I test drove and subsequently bought the car the salesman didn't inform me of the squeal or the possibilty of a squeal developing.

I am thoroughly demoralised and dismayed with the dealer as this is not the only problem I've had with the car.

Keep it/give it back ?

anyway thanks again for your comments.

John...

Hi Rattler, I have a 04 E55 since June this year and have the same squeal. Looking at the forums in the US, where there are larger numbers of AMG cars, it seems common though not on every AMG model and not on all E55’s. However I am like you I can't believe Mercedes designed it this way and will bring it up with my dealer at the next service.

There are also interesting comments and advise on Intercooler pumps for the Compressor which I was unaware of but is something to look out for.

Where are you located who is the dealer, there are good ones out their?

Regards

Richard

If you've only had it a week, I would insist they repair this fault - it is a fault, no matter what they say - the car should not make that noise. If they will not repair it, you will return the car and expect a full refund.

A week old car from a Mercedes dealer should be like new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom