1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

Help please, start up noise on W204 C250 CGI

Discussion in 'Engine' started by malluboy77, Sep 26, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    malluboy77

malluboy77 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C 180 K 2004 (Facelift) Auto
    Sorry, waiting!

2. OP
    OP
    malluboy77

Car:

I suppose the chain and the sound is well demonstrated in this video. I am waiting to hear from Olly as the car went in only on Fri. I had it recovered as I didn't fancy taking the chances of having a much bigger problem than needed.

3. avantgardeauto

avantgardeauto Member

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz C320CDI & SLR McLaren Coupe
    Thats it..!!

4. OP
    OP
    malluboy77

Car:
    Update, confirmed to be the dreaded chain cam combo.

5. ernie

ernie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C Class, W205 Sport 2014
    Sorry to hear that; at 48000 miles and fsh it is a nonsense, but I doubt if MB would want to know at this stage. I wonder if the previous owner 'got rid' as he/she suspected something. For goodness sake, cam belts last longer these days. At least your car is in good hands with Olly and you should get many thousands of miles after the repair.

Ernie

Old spanners and 190 like this.
  6. 190

190 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2009 W204 C180K
    That's a valid point.

In recent years we have had the motoring press steering owners away from cars with cam belts back to chains. But in the mean time pressure on economy and emissions has meant the adoption of single row cam chains which don't seem to last the distance in MB's or any other make. MB moved from a single row roller chain to an inverted tooth chain and still seems to have a problem if not with the chain then the sprockets. I've changed cam belts in the past and it's an order of magnitude cheaper and easier than a chain. They are quieter too. MB never did use belts but if they can't engineer a reliable roller chain perhaps it's time they looked at belts.

Old spanners and malluboy77 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    malluboy77

Car:
    I have added about 10k miles to the car over 15 months. I am very much sure that the problem is all new.

8. geraldrobins

geraldrobins Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    c200cdi
    I don't think that's the same engine as the CLA250 is a 2litre whereas the C250 C class is a 1.8.

Aletank likes this.
  9. grober

grober Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Could it be that the high pressure direct injection pump is putting too great a load on the timing chain than in previous setups where its just being asked to drive the valve gear-if indeed its driven off the timing chain??

Next complication on the horizon might be combined port and direct [ twin injectors] per cylinder= more stuff to go wrong!:eek:
    https://blog.caranddriver.com/explained-why-some-engines-have-both-port-and-direct-injection/
    I didn't realise that the FR-S/BRZ Toyota/Subaru FLAT 4 engine had this sophisticated feature?
    TOMEI POWERED Dissects the FA20 | Flat Four

Old spanners likes this.
  10. Old spanners

Old spanners Member

Car:
    W203 C180K
    I was thinking of this model when I come to update but this has made me think again as around 40K miles would be my choice of mileage and having an expensive repair like that would be terminal. If the original only lasts that long it's going to be like changing a cam belt every 40-50K miles but a lot more expensive.

11. 190

190 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2009 W204 C180K
    I'm not sure to what extent this applies to MB's if at all but there is without question another general problem in the industry with direct injection in that it washes oil off the cylinders causing fuel dilution of the engine oil in the sump. This effectively means if you put say 5W30 oil in the engine it very soon becomes 0W20 or worse which I would argue is not good for cam chain lubrication. You might think any fuel in the sump would evaporate but apparently it doesn't at least not entirely. If I ran direct injected engine I would start with a thicker oil e.g. 5W40. You might lose 1% fuel economy but that could be cheap insurance.

It's clear that FMBSH is no protection against these failures. While some may consider this heresy I personally would not trust MB to put the best oil in my car. I believe they will always chose xW30 oil over xW40. On top of that it's so cheap I'm not even convinced of the quality.

12. grober

grober Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Looks to me as if the M271.860 DE18 EVO high pressure injection pump is driven off the rear end of the inlet camshaft? can anyone confirm?
    [​IMG]

13. monteith.jason

monteith.jason New Member

Car:
    Mercedes c250 cgi
    Is the replacement parts uprated or any different from original? How much did it cost?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

14. OP
    OP
    malluboy77

Car:
    MB Parts coming to about £1300-1400. I am awaiting repair.

15. monteith.jason

monteith.jason New Member

Car:
    Mercedes c250 cgi
    Will the parts be uprated or any different from original? Will it only last another 40-50 k??
    I'm starting to notice start-up noise on mine now for the 1st second after starting, getting worried now

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

16. OP
    OP
    malluboy77

Car:
    Sorry to hear that you are having some noise. I have posted a youtube video of how my car sounded upon starting. Though I had a quick chat with Olly, I didn't really ask him if the new parts are any different. To be honest, I didn't want to know. Best to get your checked out at the earliest rather than keep driving it.

monteith.jason likes this.
  17. avantgardeauto

avantgardeauto Member

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz C320CDI & SLR McLaren Coupe
    Grober, you are quite correct and I too think that this is the reason for constant failure.