HELP! Wire source ID

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manofgresley

Car
CLK 320 Elegance Convertible
Hi All.

I have had several posts lately, and with your help, most are solved, just 2 left, if I may continue to indulge you.

I still cannot get power to the Cigarette Lighter Illumination Lamp, Neither is my Instrument Cluster Night time Illumination coming On, I wonder if the issue is connected (Excuse the Pun) I have attached a jpeg, this may spark someone's memory of something similar.

There are 2 wires, Green/ Pink that go to the Positive side of the Lighter socket, and 1 Brown that goes to the Earth side of the socket, if you split the Green / Pink wires, only one is LIVE. The other 2 wires are GREY, these go to the Positive side of the Illumination Lamp, both of these are dead, hence no illumination. I cannot find a fuse associated with this Scheme, the Power fuse for the Lighter socket is ok.

Attachments

• cuiglighter.jpg
    cuiglighter.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Grey is the lighting. One wire comes from instrument cluster, and one goes to the lights switch. I can't remember which one supplies power. Just check that the rotary lighting control on the cluster is not turned down !

Do the other interior lights (if you have them) illuminate ? (i.e all the stuff on all the switches)

My suspicion is that the headlamp switch feeds the cluster and cigarette lighter, which then has the dimmer on it which then feeds all the switches illumination (on grey/blue wire) - but it is possible the cluster is feeding all lighting.

Can't see a fuse on the diagram, suggests its controlled by the electronics in the light switch (which is fed from a big fuse as it feeds the headlights) or by the cluster.

Cheers

Richard

Looking at the wiring diagram, as Richard. There does not appear to be a separate fuse for this section. And it does look strange that its the same grey wire that comes from the cluster and from the lighting control switch that feeds the light.

Hi.

Thank you all for your help, job now solved & done. The two grey wires are together, and they are definatly powered from the main light switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom