Help with register a foreign car .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C36fan

MB Enthusiast
Car
‘15 C63, ‘15 CLS63, ‘01 E55, 01 ML55 ‘16 Vito 119CDI
Hi a friend of mine bought a lhd car here in UK ,the car was on diplomates plate and as a UK mot but it has the Italian v5 ,so what to do to register it in UK? Thanks in advance .:thumb: Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Get a registration form from the DVLA, fill it in and send it off.

As long as legal provenance of the imported car is easily declared, which it is as he has the Italian registration document, then registration in the UK is simple.

Dieselman said:
Get a registration form from the DVLA, fill it in and send it off. As long as legal provenance of the imported car is easily declared, which it is as he has the Italian registration document, then registration in the UK is simple.
DM it had UK diplomates plate till now the guy from the embassy come today to take them away ,with that plate should it not been registered already ?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Diplomatic plates are assigned to the Embassy ,the car cannot be transfered to your friend , wearing that registration. He will have to apply to DVLA ,and keep the car off -road until a new registration is issued.

NOMONEYBUTAMERC said:
Diplomatic plates are assigned to the Embassy ,the car cannot be transfered to your friend , wearing that registration. He will have to apply to DVLA ,and keep the car off -road until a new registration is issued.
thanks ,the car is off the road at mb of medway having some work done to it ,in mean wile will contact dvla to send me a registration document .:thumb:

Also, make sure the seller of the car registers the transfer with the consulate or an Italian "questura". There's a 300-400 euro fee to register the change of ownership.

Failure to do so leads in large fines for both parties (in Italy, so not so worrying for a UK buyer)

M.

I would imagine that the car was bought from Mercedes Diplomatic Sales (part of Mercedes Retail) -they are in Ealing. The cars they sell are sold without VAT (as they are effectively for export) so I would make sure that the car has had the VAT paid by some-one and is not due by your friend.

You could try calling them to be sure of the tax situation. The phone No. is 44(0)8708500533.

tode said:
I would imagine that the car was bought from Mercedes Diplomatic Sales (part of Mercedes Retail) -they are in Ealing. The cars they sell are sold without VAT (as they are effectively for export) so I would make sure that the car has had the VAT paid by some-one and is not due by your friend. You could try calling them to be sure of the tax situation. The phone No. is 44(0)8708500533.
no mate private sale ,thanks for the advice.:thumb:

no mate private sale ,thanks for the advice.:thumb:

I meant that it had been purchased from MB Diplomatic by the Italian Embassy (who would have purchased it tax-free).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom