Help with wiring diagram / intermittent rear lights problem on S211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJFarmo

Car
E350 CDI Avantgarde (S212) [2010]
Hi,

I currently have a problem with the rear lights going haywire on my 2003 S211. It has been going on since I acquired the car 1 year ago. It's very much an intermittent fault - when it occurs the main (outer) rear lights switch off and the backup lights (in the boot lid) come on instead. I also get 6 messages appear on the MFD which are shown at the bottom of the post.

When the problem occurs and the backup lights come on, the offside rear brake/side light then begins to flash every 3 seconds or so, whilst the near-side one remains completely out. Sometimes the car will switch back to the normal lights; other times the backup lights will continue to be used for the rest of that day, week, etc.

I have an Avantgarde model, so the lights in question that go out are LED lamps, though the backup lights use conventional bulbs.

I've downloaded what I believe to be the relevant wiring diagram from WIS, but I have a question. I have included an excerpt of the wiring diagram below - please click it to view it in high resolution, or click the download link below it to get the highest possible resolution image, which will make the symbols in the green box much easier to see

Full resolution image can be downloaded here: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6...MGU5MDIyZjg2N2Vm&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

I've also attached to this post the legend for this diagram. I have crossed in red out two of the boxes in the diagram as the legend would indicate that these connections are specific to saloons, whereas I have an estate.

My question relates to (what I believe to be) the connector between the rear signal actuation module (SAM) and the wire that goes to the main rear light clusters that I am interested in (the yellow box).

I've looked the the explanatory documentation in WIS, but I've not found anything relating to the depiction of connectors on diagrams.

Questions:

1. What does the number '14' represent? Is it a connector that plugs into the SAM?
  2. What do the terms 'SL' and 'FRA' that can be seen in the green box mean?
  3. Do the numbers next to these terms refer to the terminal number within a connector plug? If so, will WIS contain a diagram of that plug that I can view?
I should add that I only started using WIS yesterday, so I may not be using it effectively, for which I apologise, though I would be grateful for any guidance. I have tried consulting the documentation on reading wiring diagrams that is available in WIS (and attached), though to no avail.

I've also included pictures below of the fault messages on the MFD. They are shown in the order in which they appear on the display. Would they suggest that it is the offside rear light (the one that flashes every 3 seconds or so when the backup lamps come on) that is the problem, rather than the near-side one that just remains off when the backup lamps are on?

Image002.jpg

Image003.jpg

Image004.jpg

Image005.jpg

Image006.jpg

Image007.jpg

If anyone can give me any info on this that would be much appreciated. My plan is to strip it all down on Sunday, but I'd like to do my homework before I do that!

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Rear SAM (N10-2) Wiring Diagram Sheet 1 - Legend PE54.21-P-2108-60DA.pdf
    77.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Wiring diagrams - Use of.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Wiring diagrams - Abbreviations of signal and circuit designations.pdf
    51.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Lots of good pictures and I'm sure a wire man will point you in the right direction.

However, before I would start pulling it to bits, is it possible to get a helper to sit in the car and set the conditions of this intermittent fault, then with your helper watching the display without any distractions, start moving loom/looms very gently ???

Lots of good pictures and I'm sure a wire man will point you in the right direction.

However, before I would start pulling it to bits, is it possible to get a helper to sit in the car and set the conditions of this intermittent fault, then with your helper watching the display without any distractions, start moving loom/looms very gently ???

Thanks - I hope so!

Unfortunately thus far I've been unable to persuade anyone to come and engage in the fun task of fixing my car... I think I'll need to try harder!

That said, I'm planning to dissemble and reassemble it all on Sunday (check all the connections, ground points, etc.) to see if that fixes it. Before I do that, I'm keen to understand how the rear lights connect to the rear SAM.

Not much help I'm afraid.:dk: Possible dirty fuse or relay blades in the rear sam?

wis is hard to use but your right 14 is the number of the block connector have you replaced the rear bulbs holder yet ? after that check the wiring and earths if thats ok im afraid the rear sam is faulty the rear sam controls the rear lights

I've found the answer to my question about what 'SL' and 'FRA' stand for. I'll paste them here in case they are of use to any one else in the future:

BL = Stop lamp
FRA = Turn signal indicator
KZB = License plate lighting
NSL = Rear fog lamp
NSW = Fog lamps
RFL = Reversing lamp
SL = Tail lamp

More information (in German) on pages 150 and 151: http://www.mbclub.ru/pdf/211%20Arial%20Elektrik%20gesamt.pdf

Translated into English: Welcome to the W211 E- Class!

I've still not found any information regarding terminal numbers within connectors.

I have now resolved this problem. It was a faulty op-amp on on the right rear LED board. I replaced it with a new op-amp and now everything works fine again.

Attachments

• Faulty Op-Amp.JPG
    Faulty Op-Amp.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 169
same problem

as per a previous post

I have exactly the same problem with 2004 MY E270 CDI Avantgarde Estate.

same malfunction messages in same order,although malfunction only occurs when lights are on.

During day time use brake lights operate without problem and no MFD message , soon as lights come on , either auto or manually, malfunctions occur including flashing of rear right break light, as per your symptoms. i cannot not upload pictures currently but dispaly is axactly as your photos

would a good independant, with `star`, trace the problem you found easily or can i expect to be charged for uneccessary parts?

appreciate any advice please

as per a previous post

I have exactly the same problem with 2004 MY E270 CDI Avantgarde Estate.

same malfunction messages in same order,although malfunction only occurs when lights are on.

During day time use brake lights operate without problem and no MFD message , soon as lights come on , either auto or manually, malfunctions occur including flashing of rear right break light, as per your symptoms. i cannot not upload pictures currently but dispaly is axactly as your photos

would a good independant, with `star`, trace the problem you found easily or can i expect to be charged for uneccessary parts?

appreciate any advice please

With LED lamps the brake light and the tail light are the same things - the computer just varies the intensity of the light output.

If you look at the 6 photos I posted the key is in the first two: they say that the right brake/tail lamp (i.e. LED board) has a problem. The other 4 messages tell you what the car has done about it.

To diagnose a faulty LED, get a 10mm socket and remove the 4 nuts that hold the rear light clusters to the chassis. Unplug and remove the light clusters and pop them in the boot. Poke the wires that connect to the light clusters through into the boot so you can connect the clusters whilst they are in the boot (makes life easier).

Now, connect the left cluster to the right hand side connector, and vice versa. Now close all the doors, lock the car, wait about 5 seconds, unlock the car, turn the lights on and see if the flashing problem (and associated error message) has moved to the other side of the car. If so, you'll know that the right hand LED board in the right hand cluster is the problem. If so, you'll need to get a new board - about £52 from MB...

Let me know how you get on.

BTW, I have a brand new left hand side LED board if you (or any one else reading this) needs one. PM me for details.

I am facing exxactly the same problem... so I should expect a new LM2904 also??? Or might be another part?

Huge thanks to your info on this thread...

I am facing exxactly the same problem... so I should expect a new LM2904 also??? Or might be another part?

Huge thanks to your info on this thread...

Hi nunolambuca,

Sorry for the slow reply. Are you still experiencing this problem?

I solved it. Replaced the LM2904 also. I am electronic eng. so it was quite easy...

Thanks.

What I'd like to do now is connect those daytime running lights, front, led. My bumper does not have them, so I would attach some LED system, but not sure whrer to connect... because the one inside the high beam is not intended for daytime.. I just wanted anytime car key is there it would turn on these lamps

Mercedes WIS wiring diagrams

HIya , could you tell me what system you have your Mercedes WIS
installed on ?

I have it installed but cant get the wiring diagrams up

Thanks for any help

installed on ?

Thanks for any help

wis/epc works better with XP and java 6, but its possible to run on newer systems. I suggest you ask your wis supplier for more in depth install information as the OP posted this in 2011.

installed on ?

Thanks for any help

Sounds like a configuration issue with your WIS if you can see some information but not wiring diagrams. I would like to see your setup via teamviewer but at that low post count you can't send the access info via PM.

WIS can be installed on WIN10 64bit, WIN8, WIN7 etc. if you do it properly.

Had exactly the same issue with my 2004 S211 220cdi Avantgarde, now fixed thanks to this thread.

Like DJFarmo, the dashboard display reported failure of the right-hand brake lamp and right-hand tail lamp as two separate messages followed by the four back up light messages.

Replacing the LM2904 chip on the LED board in the right-hand rear lamp cluster did the trick.

Hugely satisfying to fix this for a couple of quid (and get rid of the relentless messages). Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom