Hi from soon-to-be AMG owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnRutter

Car
C63 AMG V8 Wagon, Jeep V8, Manta V8, V6 Stratos Replica
Hi there,

Been interested in getting a C63 for quite some time. Will now be picking up a 2012 C63 Estate in a couple of days time. Looking forward to experiencing that wonderful engine.

My main road car has been a Mitsubishi Evo for the past ten years (don't judge me on that, I'm no teeenage boy racer) and a Jeep V8 that serves duty towing my competition cars from time to time.

I've got a Stratos replica that I built over 20 years ago as a fast road car. Then did a couple of years speed events (sprints and hillclimbs) with it, followed by a few more years of circuit racing.

After I stopped racing with the car, I still used it for track days and shows. Followed that by a few years as a co-driver in BTRDA rallies, sitting in the silly seat of a BMW 325 as part of the 'RWD Challenge'. Those events were great fun, loose gravel in Welsh forests, fresh air drops, Epynt tarmac, Scottish closed roads. Can't beat it.

In recent years, I've been rallying from the other side of the car, behind the wheel of an Opel Manta on smaller-scale 'single venue' events. That car has a Rover V8 in it, so makes a good sound - albeit on a very different scale to an AMG V8. Right now, that rally car is in a sorry state after an altercation with a giant straw bale when the front brakes failed. Oops. It will get fixed and back out on the stages.

My moniker of 'Rut the Nut' (aka Rutter the Nutter) has been earned through various exploits over the years. Still have an element of nuttiness to keep me going.

As for the Mercedes, wanted a wagon so that the dog can go in the back, so it has a level of practicality as well as the lunacy of 450 bhp through a pair of wheels. :crazy:

No doubt I will have lots of questions - I do try using forum search tools but can sometimes be hard to find the wood for the trees.

Congrats on getting hold of a C63 wagon John. Your dog will love you when you give it some welly!;):D

Your dog will love you when you give it some welly!;):D

Erm, yeah. Not so sure she will be so keen as me on that aspect!

Did have a 3" exhaust system on an earlier Jeep of ours which gave it something of a muscle car sound. Always put a grin on my face, for sure. That was from a volume-production V8 with 4.7 litres. An AMG-built engine with bigger capacity and more soul will sound even better and expect a bigger grin :D.

You never know, the dog may be happy with the C63 if the sound-deadening on the luxury car takes the edge off the noise in the car.

Hi John,

Welcome, just joined myself but I remember you from Stratosec. I never ended up with a Stratos though seriously tempted by one of Craigs LB's!

Nice to see a familiar face, enjoyed reading about your Stratos exploits. I should be collecting my wagon this week ;)

Cheers
Nito

Hi John,

Welcome, just joined myself but I remember you from Stratosec. I never ended up with a Stratos though seriously tempted by one of Craigs LB's!

Nice to see a familiar face, enjoyed reading about your Stratos exploits. I should be collecting my wagon this week ;)

Cheers
Nito

Thanks Nito.

As for exploits, my 'avatar' picture on the forum here is of my Strat at MB World, Brooklands. Watching and hearing the AMG's on the little track and skid pan there was a nice teaser...

John

Welcome to the forum. What a fabulous car history you have. The Stratos being one of the cars I always wanted.

I am a big fan of the wagons. The Amg ones are great sleeper cars. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Hi there,

Been interested in getting a C63 for quite some time. Will now be picking up a 2012 C63 Estate in a couple of days time. Looking forward to experiencing that wonderful engine.

My main road car has been a Mitsubishi Evo for the past ten years (don't judge me on that, I'm no teeenage boy racer) and a Jeep V8 that serves duty towing my competition cars from time to time.

I've got a Stratos replica that I built over 20 years ago as a fast road car. Then did a couple of years speed events (sprints and hillclimbs) with it, followed by a few more years of circuit racing.

After I stopped racing with the car, I still used it for track days and shows. Followed that by a few years as a co-driver in BTRDA rallies, sitting in the silly seat of a BMW 325 as part of the 'RWD Challenge'. Those events were great fun, loose gravel in Welsh forests, fresh air drops, Epynt tarmac, Scottish closed roads. Can't beat it.

In recent years, I've been rallying from the other side of the car, behind the wheel of an Opel Manta on smaller-scale 'single venue' events. That car has a Rover V8 in it, so makes a good sound - albeit on a very different scale to an AMG V8. Right now, that rally car is in a sorry state after an altercation with a giant straw bale when the front brakes failed. Oops. It will get fixed and back out on the stages.

My moniker of 'Rut the Nut' (aka Rutter the Nutter) has been earned through various exploits over the years. Still have an element of nuttiness to keep me going.

As for the Mercedes, wanted a wagon so that the dog can go in the back, so it has a level of practicality as well as the lunacy of 450 bhp through a pair of wheels. :crazy:

A warm welcome to you John aka Rut the Nut, looking forward to reading some interesting and probably some entertaining threads from you.:D

Welcome John, sounds like you've made a good decision on the C63! Not that I'm averse to an Evo by any means.

Although pleasantries aside, let's see this Stratos :) hehe

Hi John, good to see you still have the Hawk. Sold my Corse back in 2011 but still stick my nose in on the Stratosec from time to time.

My MB is predictably much more pipe & slippers than yours :) That said, I still haven't quite shaken the building urge, current project is another Alfa V6 powered transverse mid engine thing. Still have the Westfield too, and also a V8 Jeep as it happens.

Regards

Chris (aka CorseChris)

Hi John, good to see you still have the Hawk. Sold my Corse back in 2011 but still stick my nose in on the Stratosec from time to time.

My MB is predictably much more pipe & slippers than yours :) That said, I still haven't quite shaken the building urge, current project is another Alfa V6 powered transverse mid engine thing. Still have the Westfield too, and also a V8 Jeep as it happens.

Regards

Chris (aka CorseChris)

Hi Chris, nice to hear from you again.
I have tried to tell some people I am getting a 'boring old mans car', an estate at that. Not told them the manufacturer or the model yet. They will notice pretty soon :)

I don't think that ploy will last beyond first sight of it....or perhaps first sound :)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm still suffering buyers remorse over the C350e - find myself hankering after all sorts of exotica now the money is spent on the 'sensible' choice. Doesn't help that a mate has just bought a bloody gorgeous Jaguar F type.

Have to make do with the C350e and the Westy for now i suppose.

Cheers

I don't think that ploy will last beyond first sight of it....or perhaps first sound :)

There are a few car nuts at work that had seen it in the car park but didn't know it was mine - kept that schtum for a while. I also start work before and leave work after most others so they hadn't had the benefit of the soundtrack.

However, owned up to a few of them today and they had a drool over the car. One of them was incredulous at the engine size. And the noise, oh yes, that works :)

Also having got a feel for the different gearbox settings beyond 'C', next step was to switch to 'Sport' handling mode. Certainly allowed a fair bit of sideways action at the roundabout at fairly gentle speed; have to be aware of the amount of torque even at relatively small throttle openings.

Difficult choice to tie up money in various cars. A bit of 'man maths' obviously helps. For this car, knowing it is something of the end of the line for big, non-turbo engines makes it more appealing.

Makes my (currently broken) Manta V8 noise and grunt seem quite pathetic in comparison. Steering on the C63 also feels great with feedback and no fun-killing understeer to be seen so far. Am aware of the great mass of the car and rules of physics will always mean braking and cornering ask a lot, though the engine does more than cope with the vehicle weight when accelerating. And oh wow, does it accelerate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom