High mileage c270

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pegasus64

Car
c270 avengarde 2002
Hi I am thinking of buying a 2002 c270 avengarde the mileage on car says 128k but when I did Mot check it flagged up a change of millage vrom 130k to 39k in 2007 and has then gone back up over the years it's a fantastic car but I am worried about the high mileage and why it changed. Should I stay clear or is the mileage not really an issue with these big Diesel engines pleas

That is a very big mileage change, I would be looking for a very good explanation before buying.

Look for service history and a price relative to a 209,000 mile car. Nothing wrong with high miles as long as you know what has been replaced / serviced in the past.

Hi I am thinking of buying a 2002 c270 avengarde the mileage on car says 128k but when I did Mot check it flagged up a change of millage vrom 130k to 39k in 2007 and has then gone back up over the years it's a fantastic car but I am worried about the high mileage and why it changed. Should I stay clear or is the mileage not really an issue with these big Diesel engines pleas

Are you able to post the registration number, sounds like my old car!
I had an MOT where the person had dropped a pen on the MOT form and mark a mark like a 1, it then got recorded as having 100K more miles than it should, the following year they corrected it as the millage on the car was obviously consistent and a simple explanation was put forward.

LV02 FlN is the reg number guy is asking £700 but has very short mot

The mileage could simply be due to a faulty speedo being replaced - it happens .

The main thing to check is the condition of the diesel injector seals , remove the plastic engine covers and look for any oily residue ( look up 'black death' on the forum ) . I had a 2003 C270CDI with approx half the mileage of the one you're looking at and over the course of my ownership had to replace all five injectors at approx £400 a time . Listen to the engine idling , ideally with the cover removed - if there is any 'chuffing' sound or visible gases escaping - walk away .

Other issues mine suffered from , and not that uncommon , included poor heater due to faulty thermostat ( also manifests as poor fuel economy - car should return close to 50mpg ) fuel leaks in engine bay ( some of the pipes are very expensive ) 'bouncing door lock' which is a broken spring in the lock mechanism and £100 DIY repair or plus labour if you get someone to fit it , electronic keys failing (£240 each to replace) , worn lower suspension control arm @ £150 ( which would be a £15 ball joint on an older car ) , mine broke a road Spring going over a pothole , not the car's fault , there was a leaking air pipe on the turbo which I can't remember the cost of , and my estate had a faulty rear wiper which would have been a £200+ part but I just lived with it ; I had to cut a wheel off because of a siezed bolt which snapped . All in all my car was a money pit . Oh , and the exhaust was on the way out when I sold it - at least the air-con worked . I heard from the next owner that the turbo failed a few months later .

Much of the above I might forgive in a £700 car , but when I had mine I paid four times that amount and then probably the same again in the two years I had it . In the end I've gone back to earlier and more reliable cars which , despite using more fuel , are overall cheaper to run because they are more reliable and maintenance is more DIY friendly with parts cheaper to buy .

I would advise you to go in carefully , and check for the things I mentioned above - any of which could be wrong , but especially the injector seals .

At that money you can expect much.Start it from cold preferably on level ground, if it starts good and does not smell of diesel with the bonnet up you are at least getting somewhere. The rest as Nick says is bangernomics.

It's banger money, so really the mileage/history does not matter.

Does it drive alright, start/stop?

Yes it feels great to drive not that I know how a merc should drive it Starts and stops and gears are smooth no knocks or bangs all electrics work

Yes it feels great to drive not that I know how a merc should drive it Starts and stops and gears are smooth no knocks or bangs all electrics work

It just depends what cost the MOT will bring.

If it had a year's MOT then run it for 12 months and scrap it for £50 to £150

Perfect bangernomics

Some photos

Attachments

• IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 26
Thank you Derek I will check the thinks you have stated before I buy it

No worries .

In fairness , while I think I was particularly unlucky with the one I had , notwithstanding that this one you are looking at is on sale for £700 ( and maybe you can haggle down to £500 if any of the faults I mentioned are present - even the lack of a spare key takes £240 to replace ) , any faults which arise will still cost just as much to fix , with new parts still mostly the price they were when the car was new only 13 years ago . There is , at least , a reasonable supply of these cars in breakers yards now , so quite a lot of used parts available , and also a lot of pattern parts from third parties now , so some repairs can be done for a bit less .

Just the same , if the car is being sold because of an expensive to fix problem , which might prevent that short MOT being renewed , it could be something to be wary of .

They are very nice cars when running well , and do give you a 'feel good factor' when behind the wheel that few others do - but go in with your head rather than your heart .

Some photos

It's a nice looking car , with leather as a bonus . I see it has cruise control - does it work ? Not that it matters so much if some of the toys are broken ...

Some of these cars will be rusty round the wheelarches , nothing serious but again something you can use to haggle on price - likewise if it's going to need tyres for the MOT . Uneven tyre wear could be a sign of worn suspension links , again a haggling point as they'd be needed for the MOT .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom