Hillman Imps / Our other cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Poor old George, the little Imp passed his MOT with flying colours and looked underneath and inside like it had just come out of the factory.

This was the engine bay with the engine cover removed.

I doubt any Imp came off the production line looking that good - excellent work Sir.

Thanks for your posts.
I have fond memories of my Imp.

I remember mine very well. BMB 355B...Always kept breaking down and went through water pumps as I recall.
Not a good advertisement for a UK built car. Aluminium engine, Pneumatic throttle. Good riddance as I went on to buy a new Beetle!

I remember mine very well. BMB 355B...Always kept breaking down and went through water pumps as I recall.
Not a good advertisement for a UK built car. Aluminium engine, Pneumatic throttle. Good riddance as I went on to buy a new Beetle!
I had a 65 model but did have one accelerator cable fixed, and the dynamo brushes need replacement quite often due to the high revving engine but it was otherwise reliable up to 50k ish when I traded it in.

Pneumatic throttle and auto choke on our '63 still works perfect.

An example of the very poor work that had been done on poor old George.

20180114_121520.jpg

20180117_194834.jpg

So needless so say he had to be completely stripped again, big thanks to John here for all the hard work.
20180117_212142.jpg

After a lot of hard work he starts to get back to where he was
20180130_163818.jpg

I even get to go inside and do some QC. ;)
20180206_160201.jpg

Got a joiner mate to make us some new parts for the dash (the light ones).
57030_n.jpg

And John got these nicely stained in his newly created indoor "booth".
20180217_151128.jpg

20180219_173114.jpg

And George now has his mojo back......
20180228_160932.jpg

An example of the very poor work that had been done on poor old George.

View attachment 75337

View attachment 75338

So needless so say he had to be completely stripped again, big thanks to John here for all the hard work.
View attachment 75339

After a lot of hard work he starts to get back to where he was
View attachment 75340

I even get to go inside and do some QC. ;)
View attachment 75341

Got a joiner mate to make us some new parts for the dash (the light ones).
View attachment 75343

And John got these nicely stained in his newly created indoor "booth".
View attachment 75345

View attachment 75346

And George now has his mojo back......
View attachment 75347

Fabulous work. How you managed to retain control when you saw that overspray? I bet you were ready to blow an 0-Ring. That is about the worst I have seen. Were they drunk or on big drugs? Maybe both.

Anyway. Great to see you sorting it all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that is looking good,to many years ago to mention I went to buy a Imp,and when I got there the owner showed me around it we went for a drive and he insisted we take it down a nearby duel carriageway so this added another 20 miles onto the viewing we got back to his drive and got out with it still running he went to get the paperwork and I noticed a water leak and called him he came out and the engine seized ,it was the same green colour as yours,I had to catch a bus home as I had only arranged a lift there.

My 1967 Imp never actually seized, but 20 miles was about the average between essential maintenance tasks....

In fairness, I think many of the recurring issues I experienced were down to my ineptitude with the spanners rather than the car - did learn a lot about engines though!

Fabulous work. How you managed to retain control when you saw that overspray? I bet you were ready to blow an 0-Ring. That is about the worst I have seen. Were they drunk or on big drugs? Maybe both.

Anyway. Great to see you sorting it all out.

One of those things, you give people a chance and all the instructions and they turn out to be dumber than dumb.
We were very angry for a long time and just kept away from the car till we had time to cool down and look forward.

The chaps are fast gaining a reputation (bad) and by all accounts have just had their MOT station status revoked for life.

I take my hat off to you for keeping your cool despite the efforts of the spray painter. It really does look like you've made a fantastic job of the Imp - hope you get to enjoy it over the coming months (and years!).

I take my hat off to you for keeping your cool despite the efforts of the spray painter. It really does look like you've made a fantastic job of the Imp - hope you get to enjoy it over the coming months (and years!).

Thanks, we will do, first gathering is next month and as the weather gets "nicer" and with the lighter nights its time to go play. ;)

My first Imp. the first one sold by the local Rootes dealer had all the Imp cooling issues and seizing kingpins etc and I traded it after a year and the second one was trouble free. Then after a Cortina interlude a Sunbeam Stiletto with a Webasto sunroof fitted at the huge Rootes Ladbrook Grove service depot in west London. Much maligned great little cars.
Dropbox - Hillman Imps0001.pdf

I never had an Imp , but I did at one time end up with a Series IIIC Minx ( funny how the model names seemed to be malevolent creatures ) - I had sold a camcorder to an acquaintance who then couldn't come up with the payment and offered the car for the balance owing ...

Anyway , it drove well and my then partner used it as her daily driver for a year or so before we sold it on . Nothing whatsoever to do with meeting this guy at work , who told me he worked in the factory back when , and that model was known as the 'Gay Look' .

Haven't checked for a while , but last time I looked OKS 249 was still alive and well .

My dad had a 'G' reg (I think - it must have been one of the last?) 1725 Minx and I wish I'd known at the time it was nicknamed the 'Gay Look' :). I'd have had some fun winding him up over that. It was finished in a dark green colour which seemed very common at the time. My Imp was also dark green, as was the Rover 2000 which followed on from my Dad's Minx.

Done a bit of work on these little beauties in my day. I remember getting into trouble with the law after accepting a new transaxle to fit into the missus’s cousins Singer Chamois.
Why Officer I didn’t know the brand spanking new transaxle was hot out of Linwood.

I used to make up plates to de camber front wheels to improve the handling.

Why Officer I didn’t know the brand spanking new transaxle was hot out of Linwood.

My uncle worked on gate security at the Leyland plant in Bathgate. It was amazing what was shifted from that facility. (Some) workers used to fashion wire mesh baskets to fit inside plastic carrier bags so that they could carry heavy items without arousing suspicion. One of the best, was a guy who used lengths of platinum wire to fasten his bundle of 'firewood' (from broken up wooden pallets) together - he got through several gate searches before he was finally rumbled.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom