hiring car abroad - paper licence only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

i am due to go on holiday to spain in 3 weeks time.... i heard that you can now only hire a car abroad with a photo style licence... is this true?

i only have the original paper licence (not the photo type).

any idea how long it takes to get a photo licence? i am now in the situation that if i post off my licence to be upgraded to a photo one, will it be returned to me on time.... if its not i cant hire a car etc??

any advice?

thanks!

Got my photo licence a few weeks ago and as I recall was back within a fortnight.......

No idea about the car hire angle though I'm sorry.

** Just checked the DVLA website and they say 'It usually takes 3 calendar weeks from reciept'

Last edited:
I am thinking of going to Austria in my own car, but only have the old paper licence (clean by some miracle) does that pose any problems?

I got a photo licence before a US trip and it was a lot quicker than 3 weeks, go for it.

If you haven't already got one, don't forget the new EHIC (European health insurance card) too. They are really fast, ordered mine online and it came in the post 2 days later.

www.ehic.org.uk

BTB 500 said:
I got a photo licence before a US trip and it was a lot quicker than 3 weeks, go for it.

If you haven't already got one, don't forget the new EHIC (European health insurance card) too. They are really fast, ordered mine online and it came in the post 2 days later.

www.ehic.org.uk

problem is, it does say on the dvla website it can take 3 weeks.... if it does then we wont be able to hire a car, and with our 15 month old, we definatly need a car to be able to travel anywhere on the island (ie dont want to put him in a taxi!)

been looking more into this; www.carrentals.co.uk Terms & conditions state:

UK Drivers must produce a full British driving licence held for at least one year (or in some cases an international driving licence). Drivers with a new style licence must have all sections with them.

looks like its ok with the old-paper style.... then :) i suppose the "rumour" that i heard may have been company-specific, but as long as i know most rental places accept the older licence then i know i can hire a car from somewhere....

i'll be hiring it when i get there as prices often vary around the resorts...

Depends where abroad is really... I travel moslty to Italy and Gambia and both my parents have only paper licences (from the UK and from Italy respectively) none had any problems before.

If you have a paper licence, that will work in 99.99% of places, but it WONT act as a proof-of-identity as it doesn't have your picture. Hence, carry a passport or similar when you get the car, as the receptionist might want a copy of that.

Beyond that, enjoy your trip!

Michele

(p.s. some "rumours" have been going around that if you "add categories" to your paper counterpart before switching to a photocard, you get to fly airplanes :p - search for a thread on those lines... ;) )

You can get away with a paper licence in most places but some car hire firms demand both. Helpful or what?

SilverSaloon said:
hi
i am due to go on holiday to spain in 3 weeks time.... i heard that you can now only hire a car abroad with a photo style licence... is this true?
Certainly not the case for Lanzarote.

Been going there in February for the past dozen or so years and they're so casual they barely give the licence a second glance.

Had a two year old Seat Ibiza for the entire fortnight - £184 all in. The boy used one of those old carbon chits which he rubbed over my card with the side of his biro. Seven weeks on and it's still not gone through my Visa - I think he's lost it!

I travel for work all over the place and I've never had a problem with my paper licence (which is over 10 years old, and to be honest, in a disgraceful state) backed up with my passport.

It might be worth ringing the rental company just to check before you make the booking.. peace of mind. I doubt you'll have a problem with any of the major companies.

Cheers,

Gaz

thanks to all.

it worked on for me in Lanzarote 2 years ago too, so hopefully nothing has changed. I am going to furtuventura (spellinG!?) which is just over from Lanzarote so i expect policies are the same.

i think i had to take my passport last time too and they took a note of the passport number or something....

also hired a transit van thismorning and didnt have any problems even with an old address on the licence! (still need to get that updated too!)

thanks!!

derek

I Think its a case of IF you have a new style photo licence you must produce both parts plastic and paper. Driving offences are only shown on the paper part! My wife still has her old green paper licence which was accepted in the States and Spain

License....

SilverSaloon said:
hi

i only have the original paper licence (not the photo type).

any idea how long it takes to get a photo licence? i am now in the situation that if i post off my licence to be upgraded to a photo one, will it be returned to me on time.... if its not i cant hire a car etc??

any advice?

thanks!

First of all, have a good holiday/trip. :bannana:

I've rented cars in Spain, (Santander), used Hertz, were the cheapest, (you can now get the new 'A' Class by the way). They did insist (on the web-site) that you had to have the photocard and paper license, although they didn't insist on seeing both when picking up the vehicle, only the photocard.

I think the problem you may have is if you get stopped by the police at sometime, they will insist on you producing the photocard license, which can cause a bit of a headache if you haven't got one. This I was told, not through experience. (never got stopped).

Cheers, Bill.

MangoMan said:
First of all, have a good holiday/trip. :bannana:

I've rented cars in Spain, (Santander), used Hertz, were the cheapest, (you can now get the new 'A' Class by the way). They did insist (on the web-site) that you had to have the photocard and paper license, although they didn't insist on seeing both when picking up the vehicle, only the photocard.

I think the problem you may have is if you get stopped by the police at sometime, they will insist on you producing the photocard license, which can cause a bit of a headache if you haven't got one. This I was told, not through experience. (never got stopped).

Cheers, Bill.

cheers.... it sounds like nothing has really changed since i was last there so should be ok - i'm probably going to get a mid-sized car such as Focus/Astra etc.

One time when I hired from Hertz in Bilbao, I booked a Clio, but on arrival they gave me a Focus Estate at no extra. They thought I had too much luggage for the Clio!

Very nice of them I thought. Although I didn't like the feel of the steering on the Focus, a bit vague to say the least.
:)

Perhaps they might be satisfied with an IDP even though one isn't required. The IDP has the advantage that it has your photo on it and I think they can be done by post or in person at the RAC/AA in certain places. Mine took about 7 days - but I needed mine for Russia.
Les

I hired in Ireland last week. Hertz site said I needed to print out the Driver Information Form for them.

Did they ask for it? Absolutely not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom