Hope all are ok

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E280wilson

Car
Bmw 435d
This was shared this morning on the “I love the Lake District” page. Not sure if it’s from today. Hope all were ok. People were commenting about the importance of winter tyres on an AMG.

22EA9D1C-CE39-441C-B448-0C6A035D697D.jpeg

Thats defiantly a doh moment, Hope everyone were ok

Indeed, hard to tell in that position but is it a 213?

I believe it's a 213, you can see the belt line detail running straight across the door handles. The 205 drops below the front door handle and curves even further below at the rear.
It also looks like a double strip of DRL.

Fingers crossed everyone is OK.

The number of people both in dry and adverse weather conditions that either have zero mechanical appreciation of the dynamics of car control or are reliant on electrickary amazes me.

With wider and wider tyres it is little wonder many of us struggle (even with the appropriate winter boots).

Definitely a W213. Who would have thought that spirited driving in the snow in a 600bhp car would have ended in disaster?

Definitely a W213. Who would have thought that spirited driving in the snow in a 600bhp car would have ended in disaster?

What ?!? even with the 4matic?, surely not :rolleyes::p

What ?!? even with the 4matic?, surely not :rolleyes::p

AWD = Invincibility. Every Audi driver can back that up :D

Joking aside and I’m agreement with T5R, that’s what people think. They spend years driving like idiots without even knowing the trick AWD systems on their cars bail them out daily, then one day it all goes horribly wrong but usually 10x worse than every other accident as they’re usually going too fast.

I worried for a moment it was Daveenty but he’s all well as is his car!

The roof has stood up very well to the roll-over, I must say. It's good to know that there is integrity in the safety engineering when (if) it all goes wrong!

Most commentators above don't know if it's a 213 or 205 etc...but all know what the driver did wrong?

Most commentators above don't know if it's a 213 or 205 etc...but all know what the driver did wrong?

Well we can put 2 and 2 together. Very powerful car, snow and ice on the road. Lol

This morning in my old plodder x3 2ltr diesel I pulled my girlfriends caravan up hill and down Dale on ice and snow covered country lanes in gale force winds, I then took it steady for 20 miles down the dual carriageway, then through the snow covered roads around the market town, up the snow covered farm track where its stored, backed it in between another two caravans.....all with heavy ice and snow conditions, no issues whatsoever.... All before 9am!
Disconnected the caravan, and drove home to the girlfriends house on a typical nice modern estate, nice and slow and steady..... I ended up in someones drive narrowly missing their hedge! Car simply went straight on at a corner on ice, I must have being going 7mph or there abouts, total passenger! 4x4 did nothing to help, tyres did nothing and brakes made it worse.

I'm not saying I'm a good driver but I was driving well within what I thought were correct for the conditions, but I was wrong, I would honestly say the 'non incident' was through no fault of my own as such(although I accept it was nobody else's), simply caught out by nature.... Even my girlfriend was took by surprise by what happened...... So what I'm saying is the driver in the AMG in the picture 'could' have been driving sensibly and what we all would accept as a safe standard.... Just got unlucky.

But to put it on its roof :D

By looking at the wheels and the DRLs, it looks like a 213, doesn't matter if you have 4wd or winters if you hit black ice at 30 or 40mph and then a curb or bank it won't end happily........

RR

Cars don’t typically end up on their roof after a low speed crash. Unless you’re in a ye olde A Class.

But you don't know and the post above yours demonstrates how conditions can catch one out at low speed. And, without knowing what happened, that car does not appear to have had a high speed incident. Being sent the wrong way at low speed and catching something will tip a car very easily.

By looking at the wheels and the DRLs, it looks like a 213, doesn't matter if you have 4wd or winters if you hit black ice at 30 or 40mph and then a curb or bank it won't end happily........

RR

Indeed, high speed is not necessarily needed to tip a car.

Cars are not designed to go sideways so even at very slow impact speed with a kerb or verge you can easily tip onto your roof.

Having said that I find most drivers are travelling too fast in the current poor conditions. I am fortunate being retired so I don’t have to commute to work so when conditions are poor I would much rather stay at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom