Household product to remove wax from windscreen...??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WDB124066

MB Enthusiast
Car
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
Is there a household product people can recommend that will remove car wax products from a windscreen, tried my normal slightly abrasive cleaner that I use when road grime builds up and I need to drive at night - but no luck.

Is it time to experiment with meths, white vinegar that type of thing, or is there something known that will definitely shift wax from glass and leave it properly clean. Thing is it is hard to see during the day, it's really only noticeable at night and I just don't want to go through another night of what I've just been through....:(

Rain-X is pretty strong. It will definitely cut through it and leave an amazing, magic coating too!

Also, what's the condition of your wiper blades ? I spray "flash" multi purpose cleaner on the screen , leave for a couple minutes and wipe way

Last edited:
Cut a potato in half and rub the screen with the cut ends. Trust me this is the the best remedy known to man and its natural and works. Obviously you need to rinse the screen afterwards.

Mineralised methylated spirits (purple stuff) is what the pros use also add it to screen wash regularly then this problem never happens

Thank you all kindly Gents,

I had it done to me when the wax was put on the paint - they were enthusiastic shall we say.

Will try the suggestions tomorrow.

Blade is in top condition - has to be for me to relax into the drive at night. :):)

Wax is a hydrocarbon---- it follows that the best solvent would be another hydrocarbon-- e.g. petrol ----or--- xylene or toluene would be good but may be difficult to get a hold of now due to safety concerns. Xylene (1 Litre)
If using it ---wear protective clothing+gloves , avoid inhaling the fumes and do not use in confined spaces.

Try a vinegar/water dilution using a mist sprayer. I use it on a regular basis ,the vinigar seems to cut through most things. Then clean windscreen as normal.

Do you know if it is in fact a wax? Or maybe it was a some type of silicon sealant (so called wax!) ?

^ thought it was vinegar and newspaper?

+1 for vinegar and newspaper.

EDIT: scrunched up newspaper, that is.

Last edited:
Giantvanman said:
+1 for vinegar and newspaper. EDIT: scrunched up newspaper, that is.

Also works well if you have any chips.

i always use toothpaste to clean my screen, cuts through anything.

obviously you need to wash the screen afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom