How do I route a wire from engine bay into footwell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
What is the best, i.e. the safest, way to route an electric wire from the engine bay of 2006 W169 into the driver's footwell?

Is there an existing conduit I can just slide an extra wire through?

I'm fitting DRLs to my A200, and don't really fancy damaging anything in the process :crazy:

I don't know what route but I normally get a metal coat hanger, straighten it and wrap insulation tape round its entire length putting a little extra round the end and slowly poke it through the engine bay grommet.

Take a look here, for how to find the aperture in the bulkhead, I appreciatethat it's for an earlier C Class but it might help you

I've just carried out a similar job on my CL 203 Please my friend check the height of the sensor position if you get them too low, you'll get bleeps form the road surface.

Are you fitting 'Cisbo' aftermarket ones from a seller on e bay ?

D

Last edited:
I do not see a link in your post?
Also I'm fitting Daytime Running Lights, so no sensors - already got Parktronics ;)

GLK said:
I do not see a link in your post? Also I'm fitting Daytime Running Lights, so no sensors - already got Parktronics ;)

Are you controlling them with a module or wiring them up yourself?

I don't know what route but I normally get a metal coat hanger, straighten it and wrap insulation tape round its entire length putting a little extra round the end and slowly poke it through the engine bay grommet.

I have a plastic coated 'fishing' wire, I might just try that with some silicone spray, but would really prefer to know for sure what am I doing ...

Are you controlling them with a module or wiring them up yourself?

The DRLs will be connected to a GenLabs dimmer, to dim or go off completely, on dipped beam, to comply with new regulations (and to avoid annoying other road users).

I'll be doing all the wiring myself. Already got SMDs mounted on brand new fog trims :thumb:

The battery compartment and fuse box on W169 is under the driver's feet, hence the original question.

GLK said:
The DRLs will be connected to a GenLabs dimmer, to dim or go off completely, on dipped beam, to comply with new regulations (and to avoid annoying other road users). I'll be doing all the wiring myself. Already got SMDs mounted on brand new fog trims :thumb: The battery compartment and fuse box on W169 is under the driver's feet, hence the original question.

Ah I've got this, looking to connect facelift DRL's up with this in the same manner you mentioned to go off correctly etc. See too many 'DIY' jobbies around at midnight with the lights on at full whack, it looks terrible!

image-1427180048.jpg

I'll use a fuse tap on dipped beam fuse to get the control signal to the dimmer - it cuts the brightness by 50%, and will also have an additional OFF button inside the central console power socket compartment.

Also my Philips aftermarket drl's are connected straight to the battery and the unit senses when the ignition is turned on

Thanks for the link :thumb:

Mine will be powered by an 'ignition on' fuse tap, and controlled by a GenLabs DRL Dimmer. It's been a while so don't have a link to it anymore.

My DRLs are awfully bright, so must have a dimming option, as well as complete OFF (on full beam and manually via a latched push button).

Your way sounds easier, our DRL positions (I'm guessing yours is the same) are far enough below the headlights that they don't need to switch off when the selected indicator on one side is in use do they?

Not sure how the OEM ones work on a facelift W204 if they switch off during indicating

Well, it is slightly different for a pre-facelift W169 - no OEM option for DRLs to begin with, and I didn't want to start messing about with removing lenses on my [brand new] main headlights to install LED strips inside, so bought new fog lights and surrounds and fitted individual SMD lights, sort of around the fog.

I did a number of mockups in photoshop, trying to decide how to position the lights, as I didn't want them to look too non-Merc ... Hopefully it works.

Yes, they are much lower than main lights, and no they won't go off or dim when position lights or indicators are on, only when dipped beam is.

I'll post a couple of pics, once it's all done :)

GLK said:
Well, it is slightly different for a pre-facelift W169 - no OEM option for DRLs to begin with, and I didn't want to start messing about with removing lenses on my [brand new] main headlights to install LED strips inside, so bought new fog lights and surrounds and fitted individual SMD lights, sort of around the fog. I did a number of mockups in photoshop, trying to decide how to position the lights, as I didn't want them to look too non-Merc ... Hopefully it works. Yes, they are much lower than main lights, and no they won't go off or dim when position lights or indicators are on, only when dipped beam is. I'll post a couple of pics, once it's all done :)

You're not going for that hockey stick style are you I think that's hideous! :eek:

Looking forward to the finished item :) :thumb:

You're not going for that hockey stick style are you I think that's hideous! :eek:

Looking forward to the finished item :) :thumb:

No! Those are hideous, I agree.

Here is mine - NS fog surround:

IMG_3162-1%20resized_zps2banhpc7.png

These are extremely bright, so taking a pic at home (even during daylight) doesn't show anything useful - I'll have to wait until they're in place, and it's sunny outside, to take a good photo:

IMG_3157%20resized_zpsajxvbtzj.jpg

They look decent like the Carlsson ones very natural :thumb:

It's surprising how bright those things are especially in day light.

GLK, any chance of a link to the source of your SMD LEDs?

I have been contemplating fitting DRLs to my 2006 CLK and I very much like the look of your arrangement

They look decent like the Carlsson ones very natural :thumb:
It's surprising how bright those things are especially in day light.

Thanks, I like them too - wasn't easy to find something that works visually with a round fog light in a tight space.
Yes, they are awfully bright, good job the position is very low.

GLK, any chance of a link to the source of your SMD LEDs?
I have been contemplating fitting DRLs to my 2006 CLK and I very much like the look of your arrangement

Thanks, I bought a pair of these first to see what they look like in a flesh so to speak. Then ordered another ten. Reasonably well made, waterproof of course, and full metal body with clever two-tier head, which helps with heat dissipation, simple and effective mounting - 10mm hole and you're done.

There are a few types of similar lights, in chrome or black, with different diameter - 18mm, 20mm, 23mm, and different power rating - 3W, 5W, 9W and 10W (there might be more variations). I went for a black 18mm 9W ones. In hindsight, a less powerful 5W ones would've probably suffice.

Here's one of the sources (UK based): 9W Eagle Eye, you can get them cheaper direct from China, but the price difference, and level, doesn't justify potential headache with returns etc, in my opinion.

Coming back to the original question ...

I see the OS rubber grommet is in two parts, so it must be possible to unclip it?

IMG_3198small_zpshj4agmgr.jpg

Surely someone knows how to do it ... I can't risk just pushing a wire through it - what if it tears something up, etc :crazy:

I'd really appreciate a professional guidance here chaps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom