How Do People Feel About The Fitting Of Bodykits To Merc's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrispy

Car
97 W202
I just wanted to gauge people's opinion of the fitting of bodykits to Mercedes. I've fancied a Lorinser bodykit for my W202 for a while and there's a place in Australia I can get one from relatively cheapish. Is it frowned on fitting bodykits? I remember a classic Mini forum I used to use and they'd send you to Coventry for fitting a bodykit.

Last edited:
Is it the autoshine website? Something like that from Australia.

I've used them before for the side skirts for the SEC, the shipping is more expensive than the kits and they aren't keen to ship abroad.

I personally don't like the Lorinser kits, after the 80's they've gone with some radical designs with fins everywhere.

Bodykits are fine as long as they are main tuner branded, ie AMG/Brabus/Lorinser etc. There is also a forum member selling a WALD kit, IMHO looks better than the Lorinser kits.

If you like it, then blow 'em. I respect anyone that does a modification in a professional, caring manner and take a pride in their work. Make sure you know what your buying.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing you in Coventry :devil: :D

Regards
John

What do you want? It's your car - do what you want with it. But ask yourself why are you doing it? If you want to do it because it's what you want then does it matter what people think? If you want to do it and command a certain degree of respect for what you've done - then what audience are you looking too to give that respect - is it Barry Boys or MB enthusiasts ;)

That will answer your question ;)

If the foremer then the tackier it looks in MBterms the better :D If the latter then it matters a lot that the kit matches the original motor.

My personal pov is as long as it's done well and you like it - I and others might not like it - but it matters not a jot ;)

I don't want to impress the Barry Boys, I just want to gauge MB enthusiasts opinion of it. It's not to be flash, I just love the look of the Lorinser kits. I've never seen a Wald kit so couldn't comment on it. Does anyone have a link to pics of it? The reason I like the Lorinser one is because it looks a little subtle and not in your face.

This is the kit I want :-
lorinser.jpg

And these are the wheels I currently have :-
lorinser-lm6-silver.jpg

Your opinions are very much appreciated.

Like the kit, like the wheels, not sure on the combination tho.

I saw it on Lorinsers official site (back in the days when it could be navigated successfully) and the wheels and kit looked very smart together. The wheels I have are 17's and fill the arches nicely without rubbing and I think with this kit it would compliment it nicely. If anyone has any links to UK based sites that sell tidy kits for the W202 i'd appreciate them.

I was looking to get those wheels for my 202 this summer :) probably go 18" though and cry because they rub :(

As for the WALD kit, it's even more understated than the lorinser...... depends what you're after though!

WALD
w202wald.jpg

If you want something a bit more agressive there's always the Rieger kit, though im not sure how easily you'll get hold of it!

Reiger
c_class_side2.jpg

c_class_rear.jpg

Hope that helps!!

Nothing wrong with kits on Mercs as long as they are fitted and painted properly. I have a set of wheels simalar to that in the garage but they are 9" at the rear :D

If it looks like it is bolted on, screwed on etc then it's for Barry boys. If it looks like it is part of the car with smooth moulded lines then who cares who makes it. I find folks that are more concerned in brand name as opposed to looks are perhaps not focusing on what they want. If brand x looks nice, but is poorly fitted or attached. then no way. If someone has the skills to craft their own skirts, spoiler etc and it looks brilliant then I know what ones I would like. I love watching some of the American documentaries where you see folks making these mouldings from sheet metal.

Wheels are again a personal thing but is chrome a bit on the 'bling' side? Your choice, your decision. If you don't want a Barry Boy reputation, then keep it conservative ;)

John the conservative Monster Raving Loony

What about buying my favourite? The CLK DTM :)

I like your Lorisnser pic, but only without the mirrors and boot spoiler. I think the wheels and kit have to match in this case for it to work.

Link to the Wald kit for sale:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=32537&highlight=wald

I think the Wald kit suits the car better, the Lorinser kit doesn't really flow with the car and looks on the verge of Barry with its fancy mesh/vents/grilles.

The AMG kit is quite common, the Brabus kit is way too expensive, the Wald kit is extremely rare to get hold off, so there's not alot of choice!

Agreed, there's not many realistic options!

Personally, i think all spoilers spoil the lines of the car (no pun intended!)

Same with those mirrors, the W202 is an agressive, relatively box'y car and anything that adds too many grille's, curves and new lines looks wrong. The wald works because it's simple and just a bit bigger than the standard design.

Aside from some sideskirts i cant see me adding anything to mine. Mercedes did a fantastic job and i dont feel I could top it without spending a significant amount of money!

However if you feel you can improve - do so......... with pictures! :)

The Wald kit looks really good IMO and a rare chance to get one there, I dont think much too the Lorinser kit they have gone a bit mad, the mirrors belong on a saxo :crazy:.
I would make a decent offer on the kit, keep the wheels you have they should look good with the kit, thats just my opinion :)

To be fair the mirrors are designed to look like BMW M3 mirrors.

I know they are M3 mirrors, but you can get "M3 mirrors" from halfrauds for like thirty quid :( A shame because they do look good just not on that...;)

There is a saxo here in my work car park the only mod is m3 mirrors :rolleyes:

If it looks like it is bolted on, screwed on etc then it's for Barry boys. If it looks like it is part of the car with smooth moulded lines then who cares who makes it. I find folks that are more concerned in brand name as opposed to looks are perhaps not focusing on what they want. If brand x looks nice, but is poorly fitted or attached. then no way. If someone has the skills to craft their own skirts, spoiler etc and it looks brilliant then I know what ones I would like. I love watching some of the American documentaries where you see folks making these mouldings from sheet metal.

Wheels are again a personal thing but is chrome a bit on the 'bling' side? Your choice, your decision. If you don't want a Barry Boy reputation, then keep it conservative ;)

John the conservative Monster Raving Loony

What about buying my favourite? The CLK DTM :)

Mine aren't chrome they are the standard silver they come in. Also to answer Grahams post I don't want the boot spoiler and the mirrors I have are the standard W202 covers but with the indicator lenses like on the W203 models. The kit (if I get one) will be blended in with the car to make it look as though that's how it came from the factory.

Thanks to all who have replied.

Last edited:
Gina , where's the nice photo gone ? ;)

Gina , where's the nice photo gone ? ;)

Which one?! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom