How do you get your catalyst engraved with a security code?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No point really. A grinder will remove any code in seconds. There is not alot you can do about it.

CAT theft is rife in my area.

use one of those invisible pen markers as supplied by neighbourhood watch teams.

may stand up the the heat, and the thief will not know it is there.

I thought they went for scrap anyway, so marking them wouldn't help?

Read elsewhere that theft of wheels from BMWs is at epidemic proportions in some places - thieves can remove the wheels without jacks (bricks or block paving wedged under the sills then let the air out the tyres so the tilt alarm doesn't go off) and they can remove the BMW locking wheel bolt as quickly as it was an ordinary bolt and without any noise.

By the way, if you're in the N London/Herts-ish area then that's where the epidemic is. If you have a (secret? ;)) beemer on your drive then you need to be keeping an eye on where you park it.

Hmm - I'm just wondering how many times I've seen the headline 'Police restore stolen exhaust to rightful owner'.

This has got me thinking I should remove mine and sell it ASAP.

hummm ive just bought a bmw, maybe ill buy some new locking wheel bolts now :(

If you lose your CAT, you know where to look for it back........................eBay.:eek:

use one of those invisible pen markers as supplied by neighbourhood watch teams.

may stand up the the heat, and the thief will not know it is there.

Erm ... don't you want to stop them cutting it off in the first place?

So how do they get the thing off ???? Do they travel with trolley jacks etc ???

So how do they get the thing off ???? Do they travel with trolley jacks etc ???
I think they mostly go for 4x4s etc. which you can easily get under without a jack. The 'advantage' of high ground clearance :rolleyes:

As said, can't really think that any kind of code would matter. They're nicking them for scrap so it'd make no difference.

Even if someone very oddly took one to actually use (never the case..) who cares if it's got an etch mark on it, it's an exhaust - no one is going to check or care, that's if you can't be bothered to grind a number off...

Not really much you can do about it, other than catch the people responsible and try and park relatively sensibly.

Will

or it end up in Tanzania as last night BBC1 Cops, Cars and Criminals where E and S-class cars were found.

They use hydralic cutters and pipe cutters to remove them. They are not used for spares they are broken up for the precious metals inside. A BIG s-class cat will be worth £100

I'm glad none of my cars have cats

Great read...lots of information on the BMW locking wheel bolt as quickly as it was an ordinary bolt and without any noise.

Hmmm....I've got a Celica GT4 Cat laying in my mums garage taking up space....! Where would I get that up to £100 buck-a-roo's for it?:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom