How easy to get money off at main dealer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

India

Car
W204 C220 Sport Auto
Hi all,

This is only my second post. I found you all extremely helpful last time. I was going to buy an '08 C220 48000 miles with Comand and Parktronic for £20700 on finance. You all talked me out of it as finance deal was terrible, £5000 down, £309 per month and final payment, blah...

Now I've decided to pay cash for total cost. I can afford no more than £19000. The question is, does anyone have any idea how much a main dealer is likely to take off? I've seen a few cars at around £20,000 up to about £21000. If I offered £19000, are they likely to tell me where to go? The money will be from a personal loan at 7.8%. Is a dealer likely to be able to match that rate?

My plan is to retrofit the Comand SatNav myself, or pay someone to supply/fit. I found a place on e-bay who will supply and fit for £1000, or a place who will supply for only £450.

Really looking forward to owning my first MB, just after a little advice from all you with the experience.

Thanks,

Ben.

David,

Thanks. I've been looking for about two months now. I'm one of those sad people that spends forever looking. I want less than 35000 miles, black (I think), and has to have parktronic for the Mrs. Has to be a C220 Sport auto. Gutted. I called a guy today who had a 57 plate C220 sport 14000 miles. It was on at £19750. He sold it on first day for £19000. Private sale. I think I'd rather go main dealer though for the warranty.

If you go with a serious pocket full of cash and wave it under his nose when asking if he would accept cash and a slight reduction in cost, you may be surprised at what he will do or say.

David,

Thanks again, but it has to be sport. The Mrs won't go for anything else. Funny that, as I'm the one bankrolling it!

Ben

Not sure where you're based, but the MB dealership in Loughton has a Palladium Silver 2007, 50,000-mile C220 CDI Sport with leather, auto, Parktronic and a few other options for £17k. No COMAND, but if you can get it supplied and fitted for £1000...

The thread title puts one in mind of blood and stones !

Worst the dealer will say is no?

Look at it this way, take out a larger loan over a longer period to get the car you really want...lower monthly...

C220cdi sports are probably the easiest C class to retail. Sport trim is v.popular and 4pot diesels are all the rage.

Shame your Mrs doesn't want the V6. Having driven a V6 in that car its a blast, you would be in for a real treat. Its a far superior engine.

If you go with a serious pocket full of cash and wave it under his nose when asking if he would accept cash and a slight reduction in cost, you may be surprised at what he will do or say.

Once upon a time when i did buy cars new.. Mercedes J R Tagger stated they could not accept cash on the purchase of my car (back then a 190e) because of money laundering purposes??

Is this true peeps? i was taken back when i heard it.. so any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Once upon a time when i did buy cars new.. Mercedes J R Tagger stated they could not accept cash on the purchase of my car (back then a 190e) because of money laundering purposes??

Is this true peeps? i was taken back when i heard it.. so any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Apparently so. When I bought mine (32 months ago), I bunged on the debit card! I had to call the bank a couple of days before, as the amount was over the 10k/day limit.

Arfur Daley would be spinning in his grave:)

Gosh a main dealer would have kittens if you tried to pay in "cash" as in folding stuff.....I think the term buying a car for cash now refers to not having any credit arrangements..

Second hand private deals are completely different of course...just be wary of accepting those Bin Laden €500 notes.........called a Bin Laden because everyone has heard of them but no-one has seen one..:D

they could not accept cash on the purchase of my car because of money laundering purposes??

There are restrictions on the amount of cash that can be accepted before ID has to be verified under Money Laundering Regs. (can't remember the limit).

It is soo much easier (and safer!) to just leave the cash in the bank and use a debit card.

Financial institutions are obliged by law to inform police of any suspicious financial transactions. Not sure whether they have to tell Police about large cash transactions that don't arouse suspicion. I do know that Police can seize cash in excess of £1000 under the proceeds of crime act, and can arrest on suspicion of money laudering. That's highly unlikely though in most cases.

I say cash with regards to my purchase, it's coming from a loan in any case. I wish I had a lump sum like that to throw around.

Well, tonight I e-mailed several dealers that had cars on at £21000, offering £20000. Let's wait and see. I'll let you know tomorrow!

Worst the dealer will say is no?

Look at it this way, take out a larger loan over a longer period to get the car you really want...lower monthly...

C220cdi sports are probably the easiest C class to retail. Sport trim is v.popular and 4pot diesels are all the rage.

Shame your Mrs doesn't want the V6. Having driven a V6 in that car its a blast, you would be in for a real treat. Its a far superior engine.

How much extra is the V6 though. I have a maximum of £20000. I was hoping to spend £19000 on the car, and spend the rest on getting Comand retro fitted.

How much extra is the V6 though. I have a maximum of £20000. I was hoping to spend £19000 on the car, and spend the rest on getting Comand retro fitted.

There is alas more than £1k in it. I'd however spend £20k on a V6 without comand and buy a tom tom. If you could consider a 50k miles car you'd probably get into one, but £ for £ the 220cdi will be substantial newer. Forget SE/elegance, you want sport and quite right to stick to that. Are you considering dealers only?

Its a terrific engine. Laugh out loud fast :thumb:

There is alas more than £1k in it. I'd however spend £20k on a V6 without comand and buy a tom tom. If you could consider a 50k miles car you'd probably get into one, but £ for £ the 220cdi will be substantial newer. Forget SE/elegance, you want sport and quite right to stick to that. Are you considering dealers only?

Its a terrific engine. Laugh out loud fast :thumb:

I'd happily go private. I'm gutted. Just missed out on a 57 14000 miles obsidian black 18" AMG alloys 6 disc changer blue tooth parktronic C220 sport for £19000! He had it at £19750 and sold it on the first day. I'm looking..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom