How fast would you normally drive if....

How fast would you NORMALLY drive if there were no speed limits on the motorway?

Votes: 5 3.1%

Votes: 57 35.6%

Votes: 73 45.6%

Votes: 13 8.1%

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • >155

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >180

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blassberg

Car
ex C320CDI, ex SLK200K, Sharing Their Saxo 1.1i !!, Her SLK200K, His ZX6R
there were no speed limits on the motorway?

I would say 90, but it's not in the poll. Depends on conditions too of course, and whether it was day or night.

It depends on how many gears you have and how big your wallet is and what value you place on your time. It is interesting (no S.A.D.!!), though, to see how much less efficient engines are at higher revs. For instance, at 56mph my 4sp W124 estate returns 42mpg. This falls to 33mpg at 75mph. For a 100 miles journey, 56mph £10.82 107min, 75mph £13.78 80min. Save 27m for cost of £2.96. Percentage increase in cost 27%. Reduction in time 25%. It is a no brainer really, unless you like driving and wish to take in the scenery, or unless you really value the £2.96 > 27min.
Les

depends if I'm in the car (and which car) or on my motorbike for that matter..

MB Demo = 99.9mph
The 190 = 80mph
Bike = lots

I ticked 80 but purely as an 'average' on say a boring motorway. There are times when I would like to go, (well), beyond that for the odd bit of fun.

Portzy.

I ticked 80 as an average, but would occassionaly let it see 100 or just over. If it was something really exotic and quick, well that would be a different matter completely.

blade in theory should be good for over 160 but personally I have only ever taken it to 155 (it wasn't flat out)

i would prob sit about 100 or so.

I think 80mph used to 'feel' right. Not too fast and not to slow. I totally agree about the speed guzzling the fuel, plus windows, sun roofs, soft tops etc might have to be closed and that would spoil the enjoyment.

I fully accept that some folks enjoy driving with the roof down, windows down, at speeds far higher than 80mph.

John

This poll kind of misses the point for me. :)

If there were no speed limits on the motorway, then I'd probably drive an appropriate speed for the conditions - which may or may not be more than 70 mph.

By conditions I mean...
The weather
My car's limits and comfort levels
Other road users and traffic
Visibility
My own limits of reaction

Therefore on a congested wet grey evening in November I might only be doing 60 mph, whereas on a dry sunny morning on a deserted motorway with excellent visibility then I might be doing double that.

I fully accept people's comfort zones, abilities and cars differ, which is why the other thing you'd need with this kind of system is the fact that you'd need to maintain awareness and get out of the way if someone comes up behind you.

So, what I need on the poll is an option to say "Depends on the conditions".

Rose Chap said:
Or maybe the question should be adjusted to include: "assuming good driving conditions and light to medium traffic..."

Rose Chap said:
This poll kind of misses the point for me. :)

If there were no speed limits on the motorway, then I'd probably drive an appropriate speed for the conditions - which may or may not be more than 70 mph.

By conditions I mean...
The weather
My car's limits and comfort levels
Other road users and traffic
Visibility
My own limits of reaction

Therefore on a congested wet grey evening in November I might only be doing 60 mph, whereas on a dry sunny morning on a deserted motorway with excellent visibility then I might be doing double that.

I have, in France, covered nearly 230 miles in under two hours without any drama - and in the process emptied the tank :eek:.
Shude said:
Or maybe the question should be adjusted to include: "assuming good driving conditions and light to medium traffic..."
...and where would that be?
Apart from the M6, north of Preston you'd be hard pushed to regularly maintain any sort of high speed over a significant distance on a UK motorway during daylight hours.

I therefore tend to set the cruise to a speed just under the average flow of other traffic so I'm not running up the backs of other vehicles, yet can still pass the real dawdlers easily.

I personally can't afford to do more than 70mph.
And in my opinion, neither can the environment.
An unpopular view, I'm sure.........
I'm not anti-speed per se, I've done many a German north-south trip at up to 150mph in a W126 in the past, but I really feel these day's are gone :(

del320 said:
Apart from the M6, north of Preston you'd be hard pushed to regularly maintain any sort of high speed over a significant distance on a UK motorway during daylight hours.
The M40 is pretty quiet outside of the rush 'hour'.

In the car or on the bike, I rarely edge over 100mph, and even then it's usually if the motorway is pretty clear and conditions are good. Beyond 100mph, you're really into a temporary p*ssing contest with fellow motorists, because there's no way you can sustain such speeds and other traffic will always slow you down intermittently. Or you might crash...

In France when I'm on the bike, it's different. The police don't set up speed traps far from towns and villages, so out on the open autoroutes it's easy to cruise at 150mph, provided you slow down for traffic and don't draw too much attention to yourself. The police are rarely interested unless you're conspicuous, whereas over here you are considered conspicuous simply for riding a fast bike. I expect this'll change (France, not the UK attitude to bikers) over time, but right now they seem to have the right attitude.

Mostly I think you have to drive within your limits, those of your vehicle and of course the conditions you're in. If that means 60mph on the motorway, then 60mph it is. Just my thinking

Last edited:
the M6 toll road is really quiet all the time.

And it costs £3.50 per speed test

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom