How long are your commutes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
For the last year we have been doing a daily N'hampton to London run. Around 60 miles each way.

Interested to know how long others on here commute.

Abs

2.5 miles to work , fastest journey home off the night shift was 4.5 mins.
Average monthly mileage is around 150, this month it cost £18 to brim the CLS as I have been using the 107 as my daughter is off around the world on her gap year.

Kenny

A extremely short walk.

About 15 seconds walk out of my kitchen door through the garden to the home office 3 days a week. Sometimes anything to a customer & about 25-30 mins to our Hitchin office one day a week. I couldn't commute an hour or two each day any more as just don't see the point. So inefficient, tiresome and expensive. I don't know how people do it each day.

I have commuted twice into London on two jobs some years ago. One job was 45 mins train & 15 mins walk each end to Soho. The other was 45 mins to 90 mins to Marsh Wall, Docklands. Neither were much fun.

Took me 2 hours to get to Wimbledon yesterday morning for site meeting so not much enjoyment there. However just listen to some tunes or the radio in the car & it is not so bad.

20 min drive, 10 min walk. Done my fair share of lengthy commutes down the years though.

After 12 years of a pleasant 6 mile cycle to work, the company decided I had it far too easy and moved me 25 miles away.

Luckily, I've msanaged to car share with two others. I really believe that's the way to go to keep commuting costs under control. It's also a bit more social and forces you out of your morning misery.

Allways assuming the other guys arn't complete knobs...

Bedroom 1 -> Bathroom -> Back to Bedroom 1 to get dressed -> Kitchen -> Bedroom 3 (Which is my office)

Somewhere in between that lot I go and buy a newspaper, though I vary the sequence. Just because I like to live on the edge...

My only concession to home working is, whilst I do get dressed as if I were meeting a client, I wear slippers as much as I can in the day.

On a Monday it's about three miles to to Chiswick HQ by overground train which is easy.

Tues, Wed, Thu it's just under 9 miles to the City office. Usually do that twice on my (push) bike and once on the Tube.

Friday is normally work at home day.

All business trips are by tube or train with the odd flight.

In my previous job I frequently had to drive to their head office in the middle of nowhere in Bucks which was a 66 mile round trip and which added 2,500 miles to my annual mileage (or about 50%).

I do none of that now and so get to keep my 212 purely for high days and holidays. And bimbling round town at the weekends.

EDIT; and as I now have a Fitbit I get to rack up the steps when I'm doing a train or Tube commute so they become a positive benefit. On work at home days it makes me get up and walk about rather than being sedentary all day.

Last edited:
I live 8 miles from work but have to use public transport as I work near the Oval and there is limited parking available. I can pay for a parking space near the office but at £3k per year its just not worth it, so for me its 55mins each way. Welcome to London...

9 miles across town, takes anywhere between 12mins to 45mins depending on time of day..

Before that it was 110 miles and approx 1.5hrs

Before that it was 30 miles and approx 45min.

99% of the time it's a 8 mile drive in to work and 8 miles back. But the odd 1% I have to drive 133 miles to visit another factory and then 133 back. But normally use a company car for those type of trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my previous job I frequently had to drive to their head office in the middle of nowhere in Bucks which was a 66 mile round trip and which added 2,500 miles to my annual mileage (or about 50%).

I do none of that now and so get to keep my 212 purely for high days and holidays.

Quoting myself now as I can no longer edit that post. Hopefully I can stick to an average of 5k-ish miles a year which means that in three year's time the car will only be on 70k.

It's such a nice thing I fancy keeping it a long time.

I prefer using public transport, walking or cycling for the commutes.

Office has recently moved about 5 miles closer, so I'm down to 17 miles each way. Commute time is between 35 and 50 mins, depending on whether the roads are being clogged up by the school run or not.

That will probably improve next year when the Zoe lease ends and I buy another Ducati :devil:

At the minute it consists of:
A drive to the local airport (approx 15 mins)
A flight to Schipol (approx 1hr)
Sit around for a few hours
Another flight to Accra, Ghana (approx 6.5hrs)
A drive to the hotel upon arrival (approx 25 mins)
An overnight stay
Another drive to the airport in the morning (approx 25 mins)
Another flight to Takoradi heliport (40 mins)
Sit around for a couple of hours
A helicopter flight for around 30 min dropping me onto a vessel (FPSO) in the ocean.
Same journey in reverse 28 days later!!

You did ask! :D

@daveenty I hate you even more! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom