How long are your commutes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Usually either from the home office, or on a customer site. At the moment that customer site is 2 flights away, so one extreme to the other.

I was in Norfolk. In 2013 my working week started at 3am:confused: to drive 300 miles to the Lake District to be in the office by 8am. Later in the week it was down to Crewe for a few days and back home (mostly) by Friday.

Me and the Mrs love Norfolk and came pretty close to moving there three years ago. Quite relieved that I didn't, now, as although getting to London is OK getting anywhere else can be a real ball ache.

Which is why I have ended up somewhat closer to the centre of the country and now choose if and when I work and there is no such thing as a regular commute:D

I thinks it's fair to say you've earned it!

I get upset if I have to work outside of our tiny village. However, I've been known to venture to Gretna which is 3 miles away. :eek:

Bedroom 1 -> Bathroom -> Back to Bedroom 1 to get dressed -> Kitchen -> Bedroom 3 (Which is my office)

Somewhere in between that lot I go and buy a newspaper, though I vary the sequence. Just because I like to live on the edge...

My only concession to home working is, whilst I do get dressed as if I were meeting a client, I wear slippers as much as I can in the day.

2 beautiful cars and you don't even have a commute??? Sacrilege. :fail:

Now back living full time in South East of England I get to enjoy a 1.5 hour commute on our wonderful railways. I never (and I do mean never) get a seat for my £50 per day ticket. Lot's of my fellow travelers have suffered burglaries where their soap, toothpaste and deodorant have been stolen. Some find farting funny, when it is not. The trains are late at least 75% of the time they actually are running and not cancelled. I have long since given up attempting to drink a cup of tea on the train. I usually end up wearing my fellow travelers tea all over my suit. My stress levels are seriously high, to the point I actually sought professional advice an how to manage them when commuting. If there is a hell? This is not far away from it.

Wow Bruce, no wonder you're so angry!!! Can you not change/move jobs at all?

And come on,,,,farting IS hilarious. :banana:

I don't understand. Even if you worked 365 days a year, and worked 12 hours a day, that's still averaging 22mph. I can barely average that on my way to work bombing it on the motorway for the 7 miles between sliproads.

What am I missing?

He was a rep. So once in the car he was at 'work'

2 beautiful cars and you don't even have a commute??? Sacrilege. :fail:

I very seldom go out nowadays Ant, though on the odd occasion I do have to go out on site to meet a client, it's nice to have a decent reliable car to do it in. :)

Oh, and @Abb You mentioned about your travelling. Been there, done that mate, though it was for several months at a time with me unfortunately. Don't care now if I never see another airport again...:thumb:

15 min walk for me , not worth getting the cars out for that.

38 each way normally 40mins ish. Best has been 27mins (before the m25 had all those cameras put up) worst has been 8 Hours

Me and the Mrs love Norfolk and came pretty close to moving there three years ago. Quite relieved that I didn't, now, as although getting to London is OK getting anywhere else can be a real ball ache.

I thinks it's fair to say you've earned it!

It's fair to say Norfolk is a county you have to go to purposely, nothing passes through us to get elsewhere.

We are quite insular I guess.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1-2 days per week, I'm up at 0325, drive 22 miles (35 minutes), take 1 hour flight, take 10 minute train ride, and 10 minute walk. Then back again (same day).

2-3 days per week, I'm up at 0615, drive the same 22 miles (75 minutes). Then back again.

1 day per week (Fridays), I'm up at 0630, go nowhere except the school run.

I don't understand. Even if you worked 365 days a year, and worked 12 hours a day, that's still averaging 22mph. I can barely average that on my way to work bombing it on the motorway for the 7 miles between sliproads.

What am I missing?

I worked for myself running my own Chauffeur business for the last 15 years before I retired, I averaged about 2k miles a week on mainly airport work. I often went to Heathrow or Gatwick twice a day so a total of 450 miles daily. You can easily knock up 95k miles a year doing this :)

Ah I assumed Taxi.

Much easier to understand the figures if you’re blasting up and down motorways all day.

Until last year it was Essex to LHR every week and off to some location, normally NYC.

Now it is a simple 2 hour door to door slog using car, train and tube, I feckin hate it, but where else can I earn 56.3 zillion pounds a year?

Until last year it was Essex to LHR every week and off to some location, normally NYC.

Now it is a simple 2 hour door to door slog using car, train and tube, I feckin hate it, but where else can I earn 56.3 zillion pounds a year?

To be fair, that's worth travelling for.

It's fair to say Norfolk is a county you have to go to purposely, nothing passes through us to get elsewhere.

We are quite insular I guess.

Yes, quite right! Which is why we will probably return there if and when both of us have given up work completely.
Besides, I think I left a son there, better check what he is up too....;)

77 miles and about 1.5. - 2hrs each way for 4 days a week then work from home on a Friday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50 mins (12 miles) on my bicycle each way.
Soon be back on the train though. ☹️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom