How long takes to receive speeding ticket from Germany?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maxima

Car
W211
Drove twice to east Germany.. on second trip I got 2 red flashes within different works areas and a white flash on a fly over on a motorway...

I am fretting now I can get my license suspended if I get 3 tickets at same time... (my guess I was doing 100 mph in 100 kmh zone and 70-80 mph in 60 kmh zone (it was 3am and the road was empty))

When I drove first time I didn't see any flashes and didn't get any tickets (went month ago)..

This time I drove about same speed...

Any words of consolation? :) any hope?

how long it take to receive a ticket from the continent?

Isn't it the same as France? Where (currently, but it is being reviewed) there is no database sharing between the UK and Europe for speeding offences..
So you won't get a ticket.
Google it though, to be on the safe side!

I've been flashed many times in France with no come-back.

I didn't get my ticket from Germany but I exceeded the speed by 15km/h only. It was in November so quite some time ago.

I read somewhere that Police keeps these tickets in database for 3 months and if/when they spot you, they can stop you and ask you to pay. That's what I found when doing research after being caught by camera.

Isn't it the same as France? Where (currently, but it is being reviewed) there is no database sharing between the UK and Europe for speeding offences..
So you won't get a ticket.
Google it though, to be on the safe side!

I've been flashed many times in France with no come-back.

I recieved a ticket from France in May (i think) after being flashed speeding during a trip over in March. I was in a hire car though so maybe different ...

ATB

Thqnks guys... I will really hope so.. I ve had my licence clean for over 10 yrs now.. Would be shame to lose it.

Will catch flight next time

6 weeks since the first ( but not sure i had any cameras as i went by day)... 2 days since the last though (went by night saw flashes clearly. Not sure why red)

Red is the infra-red filter.

You will have to wait for about 2 months before you know.

You could try phoning the German police and asking them if they are sending you a ticket... ;)

I recieved a ticket from France in May (i think) after being flashed speeding during a trip over in March. I was in a hire car though so maybe different ...

ATB
Hire car is different. Ticket is sent to hire company and they charge customer's credit card. I assume the car was registered in France?

I got a speeding ticket from Germany sent to the UK.

Correction, sorry - my RHD car was German registered at the time and notice (attached) was issued to German address but redirected to UK hence confusion.

Attachments

• IMG_20140615_233004.jpg
    IMG_20140615_233004.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 46
I've had a few tickets sent from Italy, but through a private enforcement company (like NCP for speeding, driving with the wrong plates and parking). Annoyingly, some have come through years after the alleged offense - the worst almost 4 years after (and was paid by the rental company in Rome).

I've always wondered what legal powers private enforcement companies had in the UK... on British registered plates, it doesn't seem like they have any...

M.

......my guess I was doing 100 mph in 100 kmh zone and 70-80 mph in 60 kmh zone

Any words of consolation?

I am not saying I never speed but 100mph in a "60" and 80 mph in a "40".... absolutely no consolation.

Good luck though!

If Dave was unlucky enough to receive a fine in the post from Germany, he might write 'return to sender' and 'no contract' on the envelope and send it back. Should do the job ;)

I've had a few tickets sent from Italy, but through a private enforcement company (like NCP for speeding, driving with the wrong plates and parking). Annoyingly, some have come through years after the alleged offense - the worst almost 4 years after (and was paid by the rental company in Rome).

I've always wondered what legal powers private enforcement companies had in the UK... on British registered plates, it doesn't seem like they have any...

M.
In the EU, if you're driving a rental vehicle then you're pretty much stuffed because the local law enforcement serve whatever notice is required on the rental company and fine them as keeper of the vehicle. They know who you are and so charge the credit card you used to rent the vehicle. If you're driving your own UK-registered vehicle then things are different (for camera-detected offences, anyway).

I don't remember the precise details of how it all works, but the gist of it is that DVLA will not (currently) provide Registered Keeper details to organisations / individuals outside the UK. Some Italian provinces sidestep this by using a UK-registered company to make the enquiry of the DVLA which they then use to chase fines for infractions in Italy (ZTL's predominately). AFAIK, Italy is the only country that does this.

Switzerland classify moving traffic violations, and in particular the penalties for such, in a particular way that means the UK authorities are obliged to provide details under international law if fines are unpaid and to take sanctions against the individual if payment isn't subsequently made. AFAIK, Switzerland are the only country that does this.

For all other countries, it's highly unlikely that you will be pursued for a simple camera-detected speeding infraction, but be aware that many countries maintain databases of outstanding fines against foreign vehicle index numbers, so a return visit in the same vehicle (within, say, 6 months) could turn out to be uncomfortable/expensive.

Will have to buy another registration plates then :)

Many thanks Phil !!

be aware that many countries maintain databases of outstanding fines against foreign vehicle index numbers, so a return visit in the same vehicle (within, say, 6 months) could turn out to be uncomfortable/expensive.

Hmm, if they don't check registered owner they can't have a decent argument for this. What if the car had been sold on?

RWDpetrol said:
Hmm, if they don't check registered owner they can't have a decent argument for this. What if the car had been sold on?
It's up to you, when stopped, to prove that you weren't responsible as the RK for the infraction. Fancy your chances?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom